dismiss

Happiness : essential mindfulness practices…

Happiness : essential mindfulness practices (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Thh. Nht H

Thich Nhat Hanh's central teaching is that, through mindfulness, we can learn to live in the present moment instead of in the past and in the future. It's only way to truly develop peace, both in one's self and in the world. Now, for the first time, all of Thich Nhat Hanh's key practices are collected in one accessible and easy-to-use volume. Happiness is structured to introduce those new to Buddhist teachings as well as for more experienced practitioners, Happiness is the quintessential resource of mindfulness practices. Integrating these practices into daily life allows the reader to begin to cultivate peace and joy within him/herself, leading to solidity and freedom from fear, misunderstanding, and suffering. With the practices offered in Happiness Thich Nhat Hanh encourages the reader to learn to do all the things they do in daily life with mindfulness; to walk, sit, work, eat, and drive, with full awareness of what they are doing. It can bring about a shift towards one of the principles of engaged Buddhism, a shift towards practicing mindfulness in every moment of the day and not just while 'formally' meditating. Thich Nhat Hanh encourages his readers to "try to be intelligent and skillful in their practice, approaching every aspect of the practice with curiosity and a sense of search. It's important to practice with understanding and not just for the form and appearance. Enjoy your practice with a relaxed and gentle attitude, with an open mind and receptive heart."… (more)
Member:jpmuzzall
Title:Happiness : essential mindfulness practices
Authors:Thh. Nht H
Info:Berkeley, Calif. : Parallax Press, 2009.
Collections:Read in 2020

Happiness: Essential Mindfulness Practices by Thich Nhat Hanh (2009)

Encouraging readers to be intelligent and skillful in their practice, this new collection by Thich Nhat Hanh outlines the essential steps by which we can all obtain real and lasting happiness. Each day, we perform the tasks of everyday life without thought or awareness — walking, sitting, working, eating, driving, and much more. But Hanh points out that if we remain truly aware of our actions, no matter the task we’re performing, we can stay engaged in our lives and better our outlook through mindfulness. This key practice is the foundation for this accessible, easy-to-understand volume, and an invaluable tool for change for both seasoned Buddhist practitioners and lay readers interested in bettering their lives through full awareness.
  PSZC | Jun 22, 2019 |
This is a wonderful book. Just reading Thich Nhat Hahn's soothing, simple and grounding voice takes you into a world of wonder. The chapters are short, each with a one-two page introduction followed by a practice. The practices are very simple and many can be integrated into modern, busy lives. He teaches that happiness is within us - and being aware of your breathing brings you to the present, and being in the present is happiness.

"Breating in, I know I am breathing in. Breathing out, I know I am breathing out. "
"Breathing in, I enjoy my in-breath. Breathing out, I enjoy my out-breath."

It is really that simple. Nhat Hahn guides us through similar practices, and also tackles dealing with anger and other difficult emotions, resolving conflict within a family, and relating to our loved ones with loving kindness. He gives concrete examples of how a child can remind her parents to calm down, and how parents can help children to be happy and mindful. Many practices are grounded in Buddhism, but there is no religious overtone at all - just how to be kind, compassionate, and enjoy life. The present moment is a wonderful moment and if we aren't there, we will miss it.

Since this is a collection of practices, one does not read it in one sitting, but parts at a time. This is a short reference book that one can always go back to to review the practice they picked as useful. I have already read the first chapter multiple times and planning on going back to it for practice. If one just reads the first chapter, it can already be tremendously helpful. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Yes, the Dutch version of Happiness is called Mindfulness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,648,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible