Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin

Alice I Have Been (edition 2010)

by Melanie Benjamin

Member:nyiper
Title:Alice I Have Been
Authors:Melanie Benjamin
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2

Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin

Still She Haunts Me by Katie Roiphe (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These historical novels blend fact and fiction to re-imagine the life of Alice Pleasance Liddell, who inspired Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Both books speculate about the nature of Liddell's relationship with Carroll, but Katie Roiphe's is darker in tone.… (more)
    Automated Alice by Jeff Noon (kraaivrouw)
    Princess Alyss of Wonderland by Frank Beddor (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (Anonymous user)
    The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor (Anonymous user, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    White Stone: The Alice Poems by Stephanie Bolster (BookshelfMonstrosity)

This book just really didn't do it for me. I liked the prose, but the plot was really up and down and didn't seem to ever really go anywhere. I don't feel like the main character really changed as a result of her trials and there were a lot of things that happened that I just didn't know why I was supposed to care about them. Also, the adult male, female child thing was just... ugh. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Torn between 2 and 3 stars. Overall I liked it but it did drag on in a few places and then jump ahead decades in other places as well as get a bit creepy at times. It is the story of the real girl/woman of the story of Alice in Wonderland. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
The book follows the life of Alice Liddell, the inspiration for Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. This story never captivated me as a child, so I was suprised how engrossing I found this novel about Alice. The writing is simply wonderful and deals very sensitively with the suggested improper relationship between Mr. Dodgson and Alice, the fleeting nature of childhood, growing up and the passage of time. The author evokes Victorian Oxford beautifully and follows the known facts of Alice's life closely, whilst filling the gaps with her own conclusions in a very respectful manner. A truly magical story! ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
added by nancyewhite | editNPR

To Nic, for leading me to the Rabbit Hole
But oh my dear, I am tired of being Alice in Wonderland. Does it sound ungrateful? It is. Only I do get tired.

Few works of literature are as universally beloved as Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Now, in this spellbinding historical novel, we meet the young girl whose bright spirit sent her on an unforgettable trip down the rabbit hole–and the grown woman whose story is no less enthralling.

Alice Liddell Hargreaves’s life has been a richly woven tapestry: As a young woman, wife, mother, and widow, she’s experienced intense passion, great privilege, and greater tragedy. But as she nears her eighty-first birthday, she knows that, to the world around her, she is and will always be only “Alice.” Her life was permanently dog-eared at one fateful moment in her tenth year–the golden summer day she urged a grown-up friend to write down one of his fanciful stories.

That story, a wild tale of rabbits, queens, and a precocious young child, becomes a sensation the world over. Its author, a shy, stuttering Oxford professor, does more than immortalize Alice–he changes her life forever. But even he cannot stop time, as much as he might like to. And as Alice’s childhood slips away, a peacetime of glittering balls and royal romances gives way to the urgent tide of war.

For Alice, the stakes could not be higher, for she is the mother of three grown sons, soldiers all. Yet even as she stands to lose everything she treasures, one part of her will always be the determined, undaunted Alice of the story, who discovered that life beyond the rabbit hole was an astonishing journey.

A love story and a literary mystery, Alice I Have Been brilliantly blends fact and fiction to capture the passionate spirit of a woman who was truly worthy of her fictional alter ego, in a world as captivating as the Wonderland only she could inspire.

Now in her twilight years, Alice Liddell looks back on a remarkable life. From a pampered childhood in Oxford to difficult years as a widowed mother, Alice examines how she became who she is--and how she became immortalized as Alice in Wonderland.

304 wanted2 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,252,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible