Something About You by Julie James

Something About You

by Julie James (Author)

Series: FBI / US Attorney Series (Book 1)

388None28,129 (4)18
2010 (7) 2011 (3) 2012 (4) 2013 (4) Chicago (11) chick lit (3) contemporary (33) contemporary romance (37) ebook (16) epub (3) fav (2) favorites (5) FBI (11) fiction (17) humor (6) keeper (2) Kindle (6) lawyers (9) March (2) murder (5) mystery (4) own (6) read (3) read in 2010 (7) read in 2011 (5) read in 2012 (4) romance (58) romantic suspense (12) suspense (6) to-read (33)

English (43)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (44)
Predictable as a cold day in January, but fun of its kind. I'd cast Richard Armitage as Jack (if he can do an American accen?t) and maybe Amy Adams as Cameron.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
I love Julie James and this was no exception. I read this series out of order and it really didn't matter, which is impressive, I think. The story line wasn't as original as the other two in the series, but the dialogue and characters were still top-notch, in true Julie James style. A keeper! ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |
I think I did this book a disservice by listening instead of reading. I don't generally like to listen to romance but thought I'd try again, nope, still don't like it. Maybe I'm a secret prude but I mostly listen during my commute and having a sex scene coming out of my speakers while stuck in traffic just seemed kind of skeevy. Reading aloud is also much slower than reading so I felt like this book really needed to get a move on. I would never take nearly two weeks to read a romance.

There was some really fun dialogue and nice witty exchanges between Cam & Jack. I liked them both and their internal monologue was fun as well. I thought there was one giant plot hole in the end. Seriously, the head of security for a US Senator gets arrested for killing a prostitute that the senator was boffing, on tape mind you, and the senator is around and still in power at the end to promote Cam? I'd maybe even take him still in his job but he'd certainly be under fire to resign and make his insincere public apologies like the rest of them.

There was enough good here that I'll certainly try another Julie James. But next time I'll read it instead of listening. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Romance was predictable, but that's why I read romance so I'm not holding that against it. The thriller/mystery part was actually much better than I expected, and, apart from a few repetitive 'of all the the hotels/rooms/bars in the world, she had to walk into this one'-type lines, I thought the writing was better than average for both genres. (Oh, except for the highly unnecessary exclamation points in some of the dialogue. But I'm ignoring them.)

I'm also giving some bonus points for a cover that actually reflects a scene in the book - imagine that! Plus, no half-nakedness on the cover. (I've decided a bare-back dress doesn't count.)

Will definitely be seeking out more from this author. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Oct 28, 2013 |
Ok, when I first read the blurb, I was kind of hesitant. Something about it just didn’t appeal to me. But then I remembered I felt that way about Practice Makes Perfect and I loved that book so I should just trust Julie because she hasn’t done wrong yet. And I’m so glad I listened to myself because like I said, this one is a winner.

First some back story. Three years ago, Jack Pallas, FBI guy extraordinaire, was transferred out of state as punishment for some really bad things he said about Cameron Lynde, Assistant District Attorney, on national television. He was seriously pissed off at her kind of throwing 2 years worth of his work out the window. (All I’m going to say here is that things are not what they seemed to Jack.)

Flashforward to current day and Jack is back in Chicago. And the very first case he lands has Cameron Lynde as an ear-witness (you read that right) to the murder of a Senator’s call girl. Right after the Senator availed himself of her services. Jack is less than impressed with this turn of events. And at first he keeps his distance. But his partner, Wilkins (whom I LOVED), and the two cops guarding Cameron make it impossible for him to remain aloof. Because before the shit hit the fan three years ago, Jack was definitely feeling something for Cameron. And he’s realizing that he may think he hates her, but not really. And same goes for Cameron. And so their initial meet ups were sarcastic and meant to annoy the other turn into teasing and witty banter.

Which Julie James does so well! That antagonistic dialogue at first, I really get a kick out of that. When Cameron and Jack try to beat the other. It really creates some delicious sexual tension. And bonus? Julie has included sex scenes in this book! LOL It may not seem like that big a deal, but it was something that was missing from her first two books. As much as I enjoyed them, I felt cheated a bit when the bedroom door would close. And these scenes aren’t just for the sake of having sex in the book either. Jack and Cameron have some great emotional stuff going on and it’s great to be privy to those emotions.

And the characters! I love Cameron and Jack. Cameron is the kind of heroine I love. She’s smart, she holds her own, she’s not afraid of her sexuality and she’s a well-rounded out individual. And Jack. Jack was pure deliciousness! He’s FBI, so you know he’s built. He’s smart too. And omg, he had the perfect amount of jealousy in regards to Cameron. I think a little bit of possessiveness and jealousy is hot in my books. But ONLY if the heroine can handle it. And Cameron sees it for what it is.

Ok, I wanted to include this snippet because it deals with what I just mentioned. Cameron has a best friend named Collin. Jack knows they’re just friends but...
"I hope you're not looking to me for answers about this Internet thing," she told him. "If there's a problem, I turn the computer off and then on again. If that doesn't fix it, I call Collin."

Jack folded his arms across his chest. "I think we need to talk about this Collin dependency. Because there's a new sheriff in town."

"Hmm. That's a little alpha for my tastes," Cameron said with a disapproving air.

She tried not to look totally turned on.
See, totally hot! LOL

All right, I think I’ll stop before I reduce myself to fangirl squeeing. LOL Something About You was fun and flirty and sexy and all kinds of good stuff. It gets 5 stars from me. ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |

James, JulieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ardilly, CécileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thirty thousand hotel rooms in the city of Chicago, and Cameron Lynde managed to find the one next door to a couple having a sex marathon.

Staying overnight in a luxury hotel, Assistant U.S. Attorney Cameron Lynde overhears a high-profile murder involving a U.S. Senator. Special Agent Jack Pallas is assigned to the investigation-the same Jack Pallas who still blames her for nearly ruining his career three years ago. Now the pair will have to put their rocky past behind them, focus on the case at hand-and smother the flame of their sizzling-hot sexual tension.

Staying overnight in a luxury hotel, Assistant U.S. Attorney Cameron Lynde overhears a high-profile murder involving a U.S. Senator. Special Agent Jack Pallas is assigned to the investigation--the same Jack Pallas who still blames her for nearly ruining his career three years ago. Now the pair will have to put their rocky past behind them, focus on the case at hand--and smother the flame of their sizzling-hot sexual tension.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible