The Dragon Factory by Jonathan Maberry

The Dragon Factory (edition 2010)

by Jonathan Maberry

Member:rrasho24
Title:The Dragon Factory
Authors:Jonathan Maberry
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 496 pages

The Dragon Factory by Jonathan Maberry

Recently added byprivate library, bangert5567, bijou54, StephenCouch

A wonderful continuation of the Ledger series. It picks up shortly after Patient Zero and never loses a beat.
I enjoy the way Maberry writes. His style of writing is delightful in the way that he builds his characters in a way that you can relate to them regardless of which one it is. From Bunny to Top all are relatable.
I also like that he includes alot of cutting edge/new age ideas into his writing like the thoughts of Eugenics in this one. Few writers do that and even fewer do it as passionately. ( )
  JacobDecker | Apr 22, 2014 |
Listened for Fun (Audible)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.50
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: The Dragon Factory by Jonathan Maberry was wicked smart and brutally twisty.

Read It File It: I am in love with the Joe Ledger! There I said it. It is probably best to get that out there and acknowledged. During the Dragon Factory, I was biting my lip, clicking my nails against the desk, and closing my eyes as things got tense. These books are such intense rides and this one was a little heartbreaking. I recommend these to any one who enjoys a good mystery with a little bit of fringe!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated by: Ray Porter /Length: 16 hrs and 11 mins

Going to admit that it took 2 books for me to fall in love with Ray's voice for Joe but now I adore it. Sometimes it just takes a bit and then it clicks!

Final Thoughts: Bring on Book 3! ( )
  thehistorychic | Apr 15, 2014 |
It starts off as a straight up butt-kicking action novel, with a tiny hint of political back-story to give it some suspense. This continues nicely for about half the novel, then there is an 'intermission' where we get a very long lecture on how horrible eugunenics are. First one character, then the next, then the next, weigh in on the misery behind eugenics or genetic cleansing, or nazism...

Don't get me wrong, these are all bad things, but i don't want a 20 minute lecture in the middle of an action novel about the horrible-ness of it all. If I wanted to read a treatise on ethnic cleansing, I'd go pick up a book on that subject, not one that I thought was a quick and easy butt-kicking action novel.

Even the romantic component is lame...actually, it's so pathetic, I'm not going to bother talking about it. Fortunately, it can be safely overlooked as it's just a quick plug in (heheh, no pun intended) here and there in the story. I suppose it was there to give more depth, but... anyway...

If one could overlook the moralizing and lecturing (which I don't think you can because there is a LOT of it from midway onward), it would be more like 3.5 star. I just can't get all the blah-blah-blah out of my head, and the whole premise is a little too fantastical for my tastes... either it's a thriller, or it's a fantasy. But don't go putting dragons in my butt-kickings. And, no, I don't have a problem with superhero-like butt-kickers, I just don't want the story overstepping its own reality. ( )
  crazybatcow | Jun 13, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An enjoyable follow up to Jonathan Maberry’s Patient Zero, The Dragon Factory is what you would expect from a very capable author. It brings back Joe Ledger, a strong modern character, who you can cheer for. A suspense filled fast read, I’d recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed Patient Zero. To those who have not read Patient Zero, I suggest starting there as it is a fun book as well. ( )
  madnessabides | Jul 5, 2011 |
Although best read after Patient Zero, this is a novel which could easily be read standalone. A new drama for the Special Forces-alike team unfolds as they become embroiled in a mission they don't really comprehend until over two thirds of the way through. The Dragon Factory has more plot than Maberry can handle, more super villains than are required and a few other elements which could have been removed to make the story more streamlined. There's a whole TV series wrapped up in one novel here and it's almost hard work at times; it's literary masochism. The Dragon Factory is certainly a good read, with interesting characters and provides high entertainment with its diabolic schemes and easy to understand concepts of near-future technology. ( )
  SonicQuack | Apr 28, 2011 |
To Randy and Fran Kirsch,
Charlie and Gina Miller,
Frank and Mary Lou Sessa,
and my blood brother, Arthue Mensch,

and, as always, to my beloved Sara Jo
Otto Wirths was the second worst mass murderer in the history of the world.
"And while I admit I do have some 'moments,' if you call me insane again I'll have your hands cut off."

Otto Wirths was the second-worst mass murderer in the history of the world. Compared to him Hitler, Stalin, Attila the Hun, and even Alexander the Great were amateurs, poseurs who could not hold a candle to Otto and his body count.

Jonathan Maberry is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Jonathan Maberry chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 22, 2010 to Apr 4, 2010. Read the chat.

75 wanted2 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Dragon Factory by Jonathan Maberry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,121,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible