Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Beauty Pearls for Chemo Girls

by Marybeth Maida

This beauty bible devoted to chemotherapy patients--written by a cancer survivor and a fashion-industry insider--offers a revolutionary way to help "healing" women feel and look their best.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is inspirational to women who have had to go through chemotherapy. It is honest about what changes to your face, skin, and body and gives great advice about how to deal with it so that you will feel better and more positive about yourself. ( )
  MCalvert | Mar 26, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Beauty Pearls for Chemo Girls gives practical advice for women (and sometimes men) undergoing chemotherapy. While I have never undergone chemo this book helped me to understand what might be going on in the lives of those that are. Some of the beauty advice can apply to other situations and was informative for that reason. ( )
  hollicolli | Feb 10, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was full of practical suggestions for women battling breast cancer, from ways to tie head-scarves to how to pencil in eyebrows! I plan to share this with my sister who is fighting this disease. It is hard for me to imagine that some of the authors' concerns would be of great import to me, but because they have been down that path and I have not, I will defer to their wisdom. ( )
  akh3966 | Jan 31, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Marybeth Maida and Debbie Kiederer do an excellent job covering their subject in this wonderful book, beauty pearls for chemo girls. I have a daughter and daughter-in-law who had cancer in the last 18 months. I wish I had had this book at the time. My daughter-in-law had breast cancer, she was 32 and had 2 very young children - she had to have chemo and went through all of the symptoms listed in this book. Anything at all would have helped her cope. When Marybeth tells us - "Ït wasn't being bald, or sick, or bloated that got to me. It was losing my eyelashes." I realized it was a feeling I had heard before.

But the book is upbeat. It goes on to tell you that, "Yes, you really will lose your hair." So the very first thing you need to do is buy a wig! Don't wait until you begin losing hair, be prepared. Take good care of yourself, your skin, draw a line where your eyelashes should be and draw on brows. In the chapter on skin care, they give websites for making you look better. I thought the first site, the best, as it talks to you about your skin care as a cancer patient (www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org)

Each chapter has a special gem worth taking to heart as you go through your cancer treatment. “The Business of You” chapter talks about all the side effects, ie fatigue, drowsiness/insomnia, constipation/diarrhea, and tells you how to handle each.

For me the main point of the book is if you look better, you’ll feel better. These ladies give you every possible option for making yourself look better.

Great book of chemo girls, their family and friends.
  ostara45 | Jan 15, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am a cancer survivor myself and so I tried to think of my experiences when I read this book. I'm not a girly girl and the last think I was worried about was my makeup. However, I do think a lot of people are worried about their appearance and don't want to 'look sick'. This book had a lot of interesting tips. I'm not sure how useful the information was, but I could see people finding it valuable.
  emren | Jan 10, 2010 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marybeth Maida's book Beauty Pearls for Chemo Girls was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,697,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible