Hairs/Pelitos by Sandra Cisneros

by Sandra Cisneros

Age group(s): Elementary (1-5)
This book is about a little girl who is reflecting on the different hair types in her family. The author uses very descriptive language that you would not necessarily connect to hair textures such as “slippery” or “lazy”. I like this word choice because it stands apart from our tradition adjectives regarding hair like “flat” or “smooth”. The words that Cisneros uses give us a different image in our minds of the type of hair she is describing. I also like this word choice because it would make great conversation in the classroom as far as what “slippery” hair might look like. This is also a multicultural book and a bilingual book. I would most definitely bring this book into my classroom to discuss physical differences beyond hair types, but I would have to be sure I was comfortable reading the Spanish lines. I love that the Spanish lines are given directly under the English lines so that you can see directly how the phrase or sentence translates. The illustrations in this book are beautiful. I like that they give a cultural vibe that matches the storyline but are still relative to non-Spanish speakers. ( )
  katekatekathryn | Oct 12, 2015 |
This book is a bilingual trade book about the differences within one’s own family. This book is narrated by the daughter of the family and she goes around describing the different types of hair her family members had including her father, mother, brother, etc. She makes analogies to describe the hair. For example, “Lazy hair,” “smells like bread,” “hair that is too frizzy to wear barrettes.” The illustrations show imagery and metaphors. This book is easy to read due to its one sentence pages. Teachers could use this in the classroom because it is simple to follow along and it shows both the Spanish and English translation of the story. It also shows that it is ok to have differences in life especially if they are in their own families. ( )
  gtaft4 | Oct 1, 2015 |
I liked this book because it is written in two different languages. The illustrations make this book relatable and show the variety of hair textures mentioned. The overall theme of the story is interesting and stands out against other books.

This book is told in both Spanish and English. On one side it says “papa’s hair is like a broom” and on the other it says “el pelo de papa es como una escoba”. It is interesting to have direct translation on the opposite side of the page because it demonstrates multiculturalism and inclusion. The characters are illustrated in a variety of different colors to show that even though there is a Spanish translation, there is no direct race portrayed in the story. The different textures of hair are accurately displayed on each page. The little girl says “my hair is lazy. It never obeys barrettes or bands” and the corresponding image is her from the shoulders up with hair clips bouncing off her hair. The story starts off by listing the different hair textures represented in her family then once she reaches her mother, it evolves to the love she has for her. It is intriguing to see how the story is not only about hair but the strong relationship the little girl holds with her mother. She states how her mother’s hair is perfect to hide your face in and it is soft enough to fall asleep with.

The main message in this story is to accept and embrace the aspects that make you different. It is what sets you apart from everyone else. In addition, to appreciate and love those around you and embrace their presence to the fullest. ( )
  XiomaraGonzalez | Sep 28, 2015 |
This non-fiction picture book tells a story of a young girl and her family. It mainly focuses on one part that is different for every person in her family, their hair. The book shows how great it is to be one family yet each person in the family have something different about them. For example, it talks about how wavy her sister's hair is, how short her brother's hair is, and how her mother's hair smells so fresh and clean. My interpretation on this book is that it shows how different people are and how accepting people can be. It doesn't matter how different a person can be, accepting them is what is possible. The illustrations in the book are used by vibrant and bright paint colors. The background is different colored and the people are different colored. It pops out! You can tell the illustrations weren't too carefully painted but looked nice overall. The text can sometime be hard to reach especially with dark colored text over dark colored background but other than that, it was easy to read. The bilingual text at the bottom was very interesting. A teacher might use this book in a classroom to teach about differences and the accepting of differences in society. Like this book, something different about someone could be their hair. This book is an excellent choice to teach children how to be accepting of oneself and another. ( )
  sherr3084796 | Sep 25, 2015 |
The trade book "Hair/Pelitos" is a book that can serve many purposes, and for this and other reasons i give this story four stars. It is about a girl describing each member of her families hair. While this may sound uninteresting, it is actually an entertaining story. Each family member has different hair; from straight and sleek to poofy and curly. The girl then ends the book talking about her mothers hair and how it is so comforting to her. I think this book is meant to show that differences are okay. Many children may feel badly for having differences from their classmates, and this book is trying to convey the message that what makes you unique also makes you special. The book is also written in English and Spanish, which could bring speakers of both languages together. I really enjoyed the illustrations in this story. They have a Spanish vibe to them, but they can be understood by English or Spanish speakers. Teachers could use this book in many situations. They could use it in Spanish-English immersion classes, and they could also use it to teach the students that being different is a good thing. ( )
  Tkahoun | Sep 23, 2015 |
Hairs/Pelitos is a bilingual children's book adapted from one of the vignettes in her novel The House on Mango Street. This is a separate work, and the two should not be combined.

This jewel-like vignette from Sandra Cisneros's best-selling The House on Mango Street shows, through simple, intimate portraits, the diversity among us.

A Dragonfly Book in English and Spanish.

A Parenting Magazine Best Children's Book of the Year

Un excelente constructor de vocabulario, con nombres de objetos en Inglés y en Español, acompañados por ilustraciones, agrupados por tópicos como colores, juguetes, animales y herramientas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:03 -0400)

A girl describes how each person in the family has hair that looks and acts different, Papa's like a broom, Kiki's like fur, and Mama's with the sweet smell of bread before it's baked

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,843,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible