Nomad: From Islam to America: A Personal…

by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Member:Silver
Title:Nomad: From Islam to America: A Personal Journey Through the Clash of Civilizations
Authors:Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Info:Free Press (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 277 pages
Tags:non-fiction, autobiography, islam, cultural

Nomad: From Islam to America: A Personal Journey Through the Clash of Civilizations by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

English (22)  Dutch (2)  All (24)
She makes a very good case for challenging Islam on the basis that it does not respect human rights and even advocates corporal punishment of women for disobedience. I thought those practices were only of the fundamentalists and radicals. It is actually from the Quran.

I highly recommend this book and its predecessor Infidel. It was a very revealing look into another culture and religion. I applaud Ali's quest for knowledge in exploring the Enlightenment and adopting its tenets. I don't share her conclusion that atheism is the answer for one's faith. I hope that she'll continue to question and learn. ( )
  TerryLewis | Jun 12, 2017 |
FTC NOTICE: Library Book

REVIEW:Nomad” exists as one of the best books I have ever read. Ayaan Hirsi Ali presented herself as an incredible, multi-faceted, dynamic human being, and her book did not waste a single word in its effort to directly and thoughtfully convey her Somali clan culture, Muslim history, and personal growth that paved the way to an atheistic position.

She clearly defined how the Muslim religion manifested itself in numerous familial generations and those around her. This belief system was stagnant, fanatical, illogical, sexist, and radical; this perspective did not change in the hearts and minds of her loved ones as they moved to different countries and modernity infringed upon the clan. Hirsi Ali did a phenomenal job of demarcating when the Muslim "Call to Prayer" migrated from a poetic one to a song that sounded like a call to arms.

This woman had every right to be angry and bitter; yet, if anything, she demonstrated an endless capacity for compassion toward just about everyone. She clearly understood the clash of cultures dynamic and thoroughly explained why it was important to motivate people to enjoy their heritage but thoroughly integrate into their new country(ies).

Ayaan Hirsi (Magan) Ali seemed to want her book to serve as a wake-up call to the reader(s). It could not, nor should not, be ignored. “Nomad: From Islam to America: A Personal Journey Through the Clash of Civilizations” proved to be an excellent, educational read! ( )
  StreedsReads | Jan 28, 2017 |
First of all I am going to point you to my friend Milan's review.

To my surprise he touched all the subjects in the book that I wanted to.

Milan's great review

To be honest this book was very hard for me to read. Why? Because she warned us so many years ago and it seems that the people have had it with all the immigration and the wrong ways of treating them. It is affecting many people's daily life but the politicians do not listen and keep on muddle cuddling them to the expense of the people that lived there first.

I am very scared for the future of Europa and if nothing is done NOW I think it will be too late.

My daughter visited Paris and when she came back she showed me a video she had taped from the train. I thought she was joking and that it was a video from Africa. I saw tents and all the things you expect to see from Africa, but this was Paris!!

It is still so that if you say something negatively about Islam they say you are a racist. Stupid cause Islam is a religion, not a race!!!

Anyway that is how it is in The Netherlands. People do not dare to speak out because if they do they are accused of being racist.

Is it not weird that people can make fun of christian church or Jesus, but oh boy if you make a joke about islam or the prophet. If you do in public you will never be safe. The islam leaders will tell their people to kill you. And this is accepted by the rest of the world?

Oh they should not have made such a mean joke, they should know muslims have short straw????Come on!

Look at all the hate preachers who get money from the governments to rebuild churches and convert them into mosques and there they are allowed to preach their hatred towards the infidels.

Read Milan's review and read the book. I think if you live in America you maybe do not understand but jsut visit London, Amsterdam or Paris and you will.

This book is one I highly recommend but first read Infidel. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
This supremely courageous woman is truly wearing too many hats, playing the roles of Luther, Calvin and Gandhi for her faith. Hailing from Somalia, a country and people that must be saved from themselves.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
As a work of impassioned zealotry, Nomad is an excellent read. It is a book that never hesitates to stand up for the Enlightenment and to proclaim that “West is Best.” As a manifesto for individual freedom it is powerfully subversive, appealing to wives, daughters, and sisters to abandon the tyranny of custom, to throw off the patriarchal yoke. But it offers no plausible avenues for religious reform within Islam.

'This woman is a major hero of our times' RICHARD DAWKINS 'For me the three most beautiful words in the emerging language of secular resistance to tyranny are Ayaan Hirsi Ali' - Christopher Hitchens Ayaan Hirsi Ali caused a worldwide sensation with her gutsy memoir INFIDEL. Now in NOMAD she tells of coming to America to build a new life an ocean away from the death threats made against her by European Islamists the strife she witnessed and the inner conflict she suffered. It is the story of her physical and emotional journey to freedom - her transition from a tribal mindset that restricts women's every thought and action to life as a free and equal citizen in an open society. Through stories of the challenges she has faced she shows the difficulty of reconciling the contradictions of Islam with Western values. Hirsi Ali recounts the many turns her life took after breaking with her family and how she struggled to throw off restrictive superstitions and misconceptions that initially hobbled her ability to assimilate into Western society. She writes movingly of her reconciliation on his deathbed with her devout father who had disowned her when she renounced Islam after 9/11 as well as with her mother and cousins in Somalia and in Europe. Nomad is a portrait of a family torn apart by the clash of civilizations but it is also a touching uplifting and often funny account of one woman's discovery of today's America. This is Hirsi Ali's intellectual coming of age a memoir that conveys her philosophy as well as her experiences and delivers an urgent message and mission - to inform the West of the extent of the threat from radical Islam both from outside and from within our open societies. She calls on key institutions of the West - including universities the feminist movement and the Christian churches - to enact specific innovative remedies that would help other Muslim immigrants to overcome the challenges she experienced and to resist the fatal allure of fundamentalism and terrorism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:47 -0400)

Hirsi Ali tells of coming to America to build a new life, an ocean away from the death threats made to her by European Islamists, the strife she witnessed, and the inner conflict she suffered. She calls on key institutions of the West--including universities, the feminist movement, and the Christian churches--to enact specific, innovative remedies that would help other Muslim immigrants to overcome the challenges she has experienced and to resist the fatal allure of fundamentalism and terrorism.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,325,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible