Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and…

Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know (edition 2010)

by Alexandra Horowitz

Title:Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know
Authors:Alexandra Horowitz
Info:Scribner (2010), Edition: (7th printing), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:2012, read

Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know by Alexandra Horowitz

A compelling read that totally changed how I look at my dog and gave me a richer understanding of the worldview of my fuzzy friend. I found the science interesting and well presented - even if the results sometimes seemed frustratingly vague about what we do and do not know. And Horowitz' personal relationship with her dog Pumpernickel added a nice emotional touch. ( )
  terribly | Mar 23, 2016 |
I liked the scientific information interwoven with the author's obvious love of dogs and of course, her own dogs. A very readable book that gives very good reasons to let your dog be a dog. The last chapter summarizes just how to do that.
I am glad to see in print to never yank a dog along by the neck (ie by the collar and leash). Watching people do that to their dogs makes me want to put a collar on them and then pull them down the street by their neck to see how it feels. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
This is a thoroughly delightful and very interesting book about dogs. It's not the usual "how to get your dog to behave and to x, y, z". Instead, this book is about how dogs see and experience the world, how they interact with other dogs and humans, and what sets them apart from many other animals, both wild and domesticated. One big take-away for me from this book is that dogs are special: the way they are able to bond with humans, how good they are at working with humans, and how well they understand us makes them a rather unique species.

I particularly enjoyed the scientific breakdown of how dogs play with each other, and Horowitz' engaging explanation of how various behavioural experiments show how deep the connection is between dogs and humans.

This book is an engaging and easy read, with lots of new insight and information for any and all dog owners. It also promotes a much more easy going and relaxed relationship between dogs and dog owners than many "dog books", something I very much appreciated. ( )
  MariaHaskins | Dec 10, 2015 |
Now I want a dog. ( )
  ffortsa | Oct 27, 2015 |
I had big expectations, and they were mostly unfulfilled. The first few chapters contained some new and useful information, but after that the book went downhill. Each following section simply contained remarks about observations of particular aspects of dogs, and the end was just plain preachy. ( )
  heike6 | Sep 22, 2015 |
“Though they have inherited some aversion to staring too long at eyes, dogs seem to be predisposed to inspect our faces for information, for reassurance, for guidance.” They are staring, soulfully, into our umwelts. It seems only right that we try a little harder to reciprocate, and Horowitz’s book is a good step in that direction. But she can be a bit coy and overly stylish in her attempt not to sound too scientific, and to the particular choir to which she is preaching, much of her material will be familiar.

In that same vein, the tone of the book is sometimes baffling — an almost polemical insistence on the value of dogs, as if they’d long been neglected by world opinion. But then Horowitz will drop in some lovely observation, some unlikely study, some odd detail that causes one’s dog-loving heart to flutter with astonishment and gratitude.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
—Attributed to Groucho Marx
To the dogs
First you see the head.

Alexandra Horowitz, a cognitive scientist, explains how dogs view and interact with the world.

A psychologist offers insight into the canine mind, drawing on current cognitive research to illuminate a dog's perceptual abilities and the experiences that shape dog behavior, with stories about the author and her canine friend.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,737,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible