Connected!: Die Macht sozialer Netzwerke und…

Connected!: Die Macht sozialer Netzwerke und warum Glück ansteckend… (edition 2010)

by Nicholas A. Christakis, James H. Fowler, Nicholas A. Christakis (Author), James H. Fowler (Author), Jürgen Neubauer (Übersetzer)

Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Connected!: Die Macht sozialer Netzwerke und warum Glück ansteckend ist
Authors:Nicholas A. Christakis
Other authors:James H. Fowler, Nicholas A. Christakis (Author), James H. Fowler (Author), Jürgen Neubauer (Übersetzer)
Info:Fischer (S.), Frankfurt (2010), Edition: 1, Gebundene Ausgabe, 440 pages

Connected: The Surprising Power of Our Social Networks and How They Shape Our Lives by Nicholas A. Christakis

English (15)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (17)
A nice overview of research on social networks and how they affect the patterns and dynamics of the distribution of a huge variety of things, such as infectious disease, smoking and voting practices. It also looks at the effects of technology (particularly email and social-networking sites) on our networks. It's pretty light on the maths but explains core concepts clearly and with a lot of diagrams, and has a ton of citations to papers, books and newspaper articles should you wish to dig deeper into any of the topics covered. ( )
  tronella | Jun 22, 2019 |
very statistical, acturial and for the most part boring.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
very statistical, acturial and for the most part boring.
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
Social networks intrigue me, so I enjoyed this book on the social networking level. The authors mentioned several studies to expound on their points, and most of that was interested, but some of it got a little dry. (I found myself skimming then.)

I read this book on two differend e-readers borrowed from the library. Two weeks with a Kindle first, but I had to return the unit before I could finish the book. I finished the book on the Nook today, when it is due. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Connected : the surprising power of our social networks and how they shape our lives started off a little slowly but got better in the last half. The authors begin with explaining simple networks and talk about degrees of separation. They tell some interesting stories that illustrate their points and the notes back up their conclusions with the research citations.

I came away with these main ideas:
1) Everyone is connected to everyone else in the world by an average of six degrees of separation (less in some cases).
2) Man evolved to be social and organize himself into networks.
3) Each person's influence extends out to three degrees and in fact friends of friends may influence you more than more closely related people.
4) There are four kinds of people; loners, cooperators, free riders, and punishers that have evolved to balance one another.
5) A person's networks rarely grow to be larger than about 150 people as this is the number that our brains have evolved to handle. (Think size of a small village where everyone knows everyone else.) Of course, one may belong to more than one network and thereby connect two networks together.

There is a lot more covered in the book but that's what I will mainly remember.
  hailelib | Oct 25, 2012 |

Nicholas A. Christakisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fowler, James H.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Your colleague's husband's sister can make you fat, even if you don't know her. A happy neighbor has more impact on your happiness than a happy spouse. These startling revelations of how much we truly influence one another are revealed in the studies of Drs. Christakis and Fowler, which have repeatedly made front-page news nationwide.

In CONNECTED, the authors explain why emotions are contagious, how health behaviors spread, why the rich get richer, even how we find and choose our partners. Intriguing and entertaining, CONNECTED overturns the notion of the individual and provides a revolutionary paradigm-that social networks influence our ideas, emotions, health, relationships, behavior, politics, and much more. It will change the way we think about every aspect of our lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:50 -0400)

Renowned scientists Christakis and Fowler present compelling evidence for the profound influence people have on one another's tastes, health, wealth, happiness, beliefs, even weight, as they explain how social networks form and how they operate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,315,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible