The Gentlemen's Hour: A Novel by Don…

The Gentlemen's Hour: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Don Winslow

Info:Simon & Schuster (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, 2011
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2011/11, pi fiction, surfing, drug wars, birdrock bandits, san diego

The Gentlemen's Hour by Don Winslow (2009)

English (7)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (9)
“The Gentleman’s Hour” is Winslow’s sequel to his excellent novel “The Dawn Patrol.” Set in laid-back San Diego’s Pacific Beach (“PB”), these two novels tell the story of Boone Daniels, itinerant surfer and private detective, former-police officer, and founding member of the Dawn Patrol. As he tells it, the Dawn Patrol is a group of surfers who, naturally, get up at dawn to be the first ones out on the waves. The other members of the Dawn Patrol are Sunny Day, who by this point is now the top professional female surfer over in “Oz,” Dave the Love God, who lifeguards, Johnny Banzai, who surfs before he puts on his Police Detective suit, and Hang Twelve, so nicknamed because he has twelve toes rather than the usual ten. “The Gentleman’s Hour” is the next crew out on the waves. These are retired guys who don’t have to get up before work or the self-employed, who again don’t have to get up before doing anything whatsoever.

While “The Dawn Patrol” offered readers a tremendous amount of background and history of the Southern California surfing world, “The Gentleman’s Hour” takes the reader right into this world and is a detective crime-thriller set against the backdrop of Pacific Beach. This book has a couple of parallel story lines running through it as Boone gets involved investigating on behalf of a kid that beat to death a surfing legend who had been so respected that he brought peace to many gang-infested areas and no one on the beach can respect that Boone has taken the wrong side in this war, including his buddies on the Dawn Patrol. Boone is also investigating a friend’s marital discord. Neither piece of work is guaranteed to bring Boone much in the way of happiness.

Part of the story is that, if you scratch below the surface of the sun and sand, there’s a lot of rotten stuff at the core of our modern society and many of the establishment may just be somehow or other emeshed in the rotting stink.

This is well-written an easy to read. It flows very well. Its unfortunate that Winslow has not chosen to continue this series further as he has created some great characters. ( )
  DaveWilde | Sep 22, 2017 |
In this sequel to the excellent The Dawn Patrol, San Diego surfer/private investigator Boone Daniels works on the defense of a local cretin charged with murdering a renowned and well-loved surfer. Boone and his close surfer friends are no longer so close because of what they see as this betrayal. He’s also working on another case where slimy people, real estate, and very big money are involved. They two cases may collide.

Don Winslow’s writing is stylish, hip, concise, and highly readable. He creates Boone’s Pacific Beach world and populates it with both reoccurring and fresh characters. The story moves along at a steady, surf like pace, and brings you with it. ( )
  Hagelstein | Jan 1, 2017 |
Good sequel! Boone and the Dawn Patrol are back (except Sunny)! And Not Sunny is the new waitress! :-)
Good, fast paced storytelling! Creepy character in Jones. Great ending with The Battle of Rockpile! I do wish though for an ending of some sort to the Rain plot. So, book #3 please! If not, I'll be hella aggro! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | May 13, 2014 |
Don Winslow is back! I know I am in the minority when I say I thought Savages was pure crap, but since I liked all of the other books I have read from this Author, I decided to read his latest, and I was greatly rewarded. If you liked Dawn Patrol, or the Winter Of Frankie Machine, you will like this. It is an easy and very enjoyable read, with Characters you can like and bad guys you can't wait to see fall. I loved the book! ( )
  zmagic69 | Oct 13, 2011 |
Not real interesting, but that may just be me as I haven't been reading many books recently. At least I bestirred myself to finish this one. ( )
  Romis78 | Sep 17, 2011 |
« But I don't need that much
Sugar in my cup.
No, I don't need that much ... »

Nick Hernandez
Common Sense, Sugar in my cup
Kansas. See 'flatter than.' Like the ocean this August morning in Pacific Beach, San Diego, California. Aka Kansas. As the Dawn Patrol gives way to the Gentlemen's Hour.
Boire du tilleul, c'est un peu comme sucer la rosée d'une pelouse.
Alternate title - Pacific Paradise (Suhrkamp Taschenbuch - Germany)

The Dawn Patrol, a close-knit group of surfers, not only ride waves together but have one another's backs out of the water. It's the life Boone loves, all he wants. When one of their own is murdered and another surfer, a young punk from the Rockpile Crew, stands accused, the small world of Pacific Beach is rocked to its core.… (more)

Don Winslow is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,822,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible