The Kingdom Hall No More by Daniel J.…

The Kingdom Hall No More (edition 2008)

by Daniel J. Chamberlayne

322,001,085 (4)None
Member:busy91
Title:The Kingdom Hall No More
Authors:Daniel J. Chamberlayne
Info:AuthorHouse (2008), Hardcover, 164 pages
Tags:memoir, religious, non-fiction

The Kingdom Hall No More by Daniel J. Chamberlayne

By far one of the most interesting books I’ve read this year. “The Kingdom Hall No More”, takes you on a religious roller coaster ride. As you read it, you will learn more about the inner workings of the religion as well as the mind set of the people known as Jehovah’s Witnesses. Frightening and poignant, this memoir will make you not only think about the religion known as Jehovah’s Witnesses, but all religions and the restraint they impose and the control they foster.

We take a ride with Mr. Chamberlayne through the innocence of childhood that was cultivated into the ennui of religious non-freedom. We are privy to the inner workings of his mind and the truth in his heart.

Mr. Chamberlayne does not bash the religion, but I believe, he tells his experiences accurately so we may grow and learn as a society what a religion can do and how one individual can overcome any obstacle, even if the light at the end of the tunnel isn’t seen. ( )
  busy91 | Feb 27, 2013 |
Having Jehovah Witness family members and having attended meetings with them as a child I tend to connect with books about Witnesses as I know the subject matter. However I am not a Jehovah Witness but I feel to have a better understanding of religion you have to understand them all, whether you agree with their philosophy or not.

I did connect with Daniel in this story. I remember going to the meetings as a child and knew exactly what he was talking about. Which made it much easier for me to connect. Although, not having much experience attending other religious events as a child I would expect them to be similar from a child's perspective. But this story isn't so much about his attending meetings as a child as it is about his journey through life and the actions that led to his disfellowship.

His story is not unlike many others that I have read or heard about. Although his is filled with more famous people than the rest. It's amazing how many people who were influential in rap and hip-hop Chamberlayne has connected with in his life. I know they weren't the stars they are now when he met them, but I would have been so star-struck and he kept his cool. I know I wouldn't have been so cool about it.

My heart hurt for Chamberlayne as he talks about the dark times when he was shunned by his mother and most of his family and friends. As a child you tend to befriend the friends of your parents, and because his mother's friends were almost all witnesses most of his friends were witnesses. That would have been hard to deal with. And some of the tactics his mother takes to make him accept his life as a Jehovah Witness were just crazy to me. My parents and I disagreed many times about many things but I would never have been subjected to what his mother subjected him to. I was so sad.

The writing wasn't great, but the story and the things Chamberlayne went through (the good and the bad) were so compelling. I just wanted to keep reading to see what kind of craziness was going to happen next! I'd say it was well worth the read. ( )
  Justjenniferreading | Apr 18, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,433,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible