Boom! by Mark Haddon

Boom!

by Mark Haddon

English (26)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (28)
My 10 year old read "The Curious Incident" and loved it so has looked for other Mark Haddon novels - luckily this one caught his attention rather than "A Spot of Bother"!
Anyway he liked it so he made me read it too, it's pretty funny. Recommended for all ages ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
This science fiction novel was about two boys names Jim and Charlie who are close friends. These friends discover two of their teachers talking in a different strange language. With further research, they discover that their teachers wear bracelets and "recharge" with these bracelets and they say "spudvetch" to one another. Charlie goes missing and Jim knows it was the aliens who took him, because they were being threatened by the aliens. Jim and his sister go on a trip to Scotland to save Charlie and eventually they end up in a different dimension of the world. Charlie and Jim end p escaping the world and going back home, and the sister drives them on the motorcycle home. ( )
  sommerkirk | Apr 20, 2015 |
Tells of the hilarious, but suspenseful adventure of Jimbo and his friend Charlie as they seek to find out why two of their teachers are secretly speaking a strange language with each other. When they visit Mrs. Pearce's home and find more clues pointing to something amiss, they are on their way. They take their brass bracelets and get ready to visit another land, with reluctant help of Jimbo's older sister.

AR level: 4.1 MG
Recommended for: middle school ( )
  liblb | Nov 19, 2014 |
A fun, light read about two boys who discover their teachers are...aliens! We've seen this before, most notably with Bruce Coville, but Jimbo and Charlie have a delightful, realistic relationship, and their tendency to get into scrapes reminded me strongly of another famous friendship: many times I found myself thinking, "This sounds like a sci-fi Harry Potter adventure narrated by Ron Weasley." It's refreshing to see the bumbling sidekick come to the rescue for a change, and the very human notes of comedy compensate for a familiar extraterrestrial plot. I strongly recommend the audio version, narrated by Julian Rhind-Tutt, who kills with his nimble Plonkian language skills and voicing of disco-loving monkey spider minions. Grades 4 and up.
  Sarahfine | Jul 24, 2014 |
Delightful! A good writer. I've liked all of his books. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to Miss Williams and Lilac Four. They are ... Zack, Kiran, George H., George, Kareem, Simon, Michael, Filipp, Alek, Laurence, Tim S., Henry, Fangze, Tim W., Megan, Anna, Lottie, Lubna, Clara, Charlie, Elise, Lola, and Jessica.
I also owe a big thank you to Anna Johnson for typing out the entire text and putting it onto the disk so that I could edit it properly.
I was on the balcony eating a sandwich.
Boom! (Originally published as: Gridzbi Spudvetch!)

It was a stupid, insane, suicidal idea. Which makes it quite hard to explain why I decided to help. I decided to help. I guess it boils down to this. Charlie was my best friend. I missed him. And I couldn't think of anything better to do. Really stupid reasons which were never going to impress the police, the headmistress, or my parents. Looking back, I reckon this was the moment when my whole life got turned upside down. (ARC)

When Jim and Charlie overhear two of their teachers talking in a secret language and the two friends set out to solve the mystery, they do not expect the dire consequences of their actions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,197,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible