Boom! by Mark Haddon

Boom!

by Mark Haddon

English (24)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (26)
A fun, light read about two boys who discover their teachers are...aliens! We've seen this before, most notably with Bruce Coville, but Jimbo and Charlie have a delightful, realistic relationship, and their tendency to get into scrapes reminded me strongly of another famous friendship: many times I found myself thinking, "This sounds like a sci-fi Harry Potter adventure narrated by Ron Weasley." It's refreshing to see the bumbling sidekick come to the rescue for a change, and the very human notes of comedy compensate for a familiar extraterrestrial plot. I strongly recommend the audio version, narrated by Julian Rhind-Tutt, who kills with his nimble Plonkian language skills and voicing of disco-loving monkey spider minions. Grades 4 and up.
  Sarahfine | Jul 24, 2014 |
Delightful! A good writer. I've liked all of his books. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
BOOM! by Mark Haddon was another solid (but definitely not prefect) sci-fi / alien story! Besides the large amount of "action" in the story, it is seemingly average compared to other books in the same genre. However, I loved the concept!

I loved the concept. (How is it that there so few YA books regarding aliens?!?!) The plot was definitely original, fast-paced, and FILLED with action!

Let me just say that this book is not bad, and it is definitely worth a read. Why three stars then? Well, BOOM! lacked the DEPTH that other GOOD books in the same genre so diligently possessed.
        The characters in BOOM were one of the elements of the story that lacked that much-needed depth. The characters, like in most YA novels, were fairly "one-sided" and not very well developed. The relationships between the characters didn't feel real to me at all, either - especially Charlie and Jim's friendship.

All in all, I think that BOOM! will be a favorite among younger, grade school readers, but it lacks the complexity and depth of the type of novel I was interested in reading and is not necessarily a book that will "stick with you."
        I'd recommend it to fans of science fiction, and anyone who has read and enjoyed either [b:The True Meaning of Smekday|1194366|The True Meaning of Smekday|Adam Rex|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348955168s/1194366.jpg|1182420] or [b:I Am Number Four|7747374|I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)|Pittacus Lore|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1305807140s/7747374.jpg|10576999]. ( )
  ZoeSNicholson | Sep 16, 2013 |
This is a science fiction story for ages 8-12 year olds who enjoy the imagination of two boys named Jim and Charlie. The story is set in England which makes it a delight to read, with different dialect at times. The author does a great job with character development for the boys, leading up to them overhearing two teachers talking in a secret language in the staff lounge, that they bug. The story is written well so you are visualizing some of the exterrestrial creatures they encournter. The story was intriguing and I think children who enjoy this type of genre would find this story keeps there attention to the very end. It leaves you wondering how the boys will solve some of the mystery involved in the story, while encountering many challenges.
  Linduck | May 23, 2013 |
Extremely fun, witty, fast-paced and silly. Love the little decorative drawings in the DFB edition too. Must have a good sense of the absurd and enjoy creative use of language to enjoy fully. ( )
  comixminx | Apr 5, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to Miss Williams and Lilac Four. They are ... Zack, Kiran, George H., George, Kareem, Simon, Michael, Filipp, Alek, Laurence, Tim S., Henry, Fangze, Tim W., Megan, Anna, Lottie, Lubna, Clara, Charlie, Elise, Lola, and Jessica.
I also owe a big thank you to Anna Johnson for typing out the entire text and putting it onto the disk so that I could edit it properly.
I was on the balcony eating a sandwich.
Boom! (Originally published as: Gridzbi Spudvetch!)

It was a stupid, insane, suicidal idea. Which makes it quite hard to explain why I decided to help. I decided to help. I guess it boils down to this. Charlie was my best friend. I missed him. And I couldn't think of anything better to do. Really stupid reasons which were never going to impress the police, the headmistress, or my parents. Looking back, I reckon this was the moment when my whole life got turned upside down. (ARC)

When Jim and Charlie overhear two of their teachers talking in a secret language and the two friends set out to solve the mystery, they do not expect the dire consequences of their actions.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,796,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible