Boom!: Or 70,000 Light Years by Mark Haddon

Boom!: Or 70,000 Light Years (edition 2011)

by Mark Haddon

Member:sunny
Title:Boom!: Or 70,000 Light Years
Authors:Mark Haddon
Info:Yearling Books (2011), Paperback, 194 pages

Boom! by Mark Haddon

English (28)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (30)
As an avid fan of Haddon's "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" (among my 25 favorite books within the past 15 years, I stumbled upon "Boom!" at my local library. I'm not generally a fan of science fiction or fantasy, but I found this young adult work to be an entertaining some occasionally hilarious romp. The characters were delightful and the story line quite inventive. Haddon was smart not to let the yarn drag on longer than warranted -- as some authors are inclined to do if their tomes are too thin. It's probably not a tale that I'll remember a year from now, but it was a fun summer diversion. ( )
  brianinbuffalo | Jul 26, 2018 |
Plus a half star. I really liked it. I love lot's of things about his children's books from Agent Z and the Penguin from Mars onwards. One is the way the girls and boys are all active agents - things happen to them but they always put a finger, or a fist in to make a difference to the outcome. May or may not work but they go on acting. And also the way he pushes situations beyond normal and into farce. Makes me laugh and cheer the characters on. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
My 10 year old read "The Curious Incident" and loved it so has looked for other Mark Haddon novels - luckily this one caught his attention rather than "A Spot of Bother"!
Anyway he liked it so he made me read it too, it's pretty funny. Recommended for all ages ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
This science fiction novel was about two boys names Jim and Charlie who are close friends. These friends discover two of their teachers talking in a different strange language. With further research, they discover that their teachers wear bracelets and "recharge" with these bracelets and they say "spudvetch" to one another. Charlie goes missing and Jim knows it was the aliens who took him, because they were being threatened by the aliens. Jim and his sister go on a trip to Scotland to save Charlie and eventually they end up in a different dimension of the world. Charlie and Jim end p escaping the world and going back home, and the sister drives them on the motorcycle home. ( )
  sommerkirk | Apr 20, 2015 |
Tells of the hilarious, but suspenseful adventure of Jimbo and his friend Charlie as they seek to find out why two of their teachers are secretly speaking a strange language with each other. When they visit Mrs. Pearce's home and find more clues pointing to something amiss, they are on their way. They take their brass bracelets and get ready to visit another land, with reluctant help of Jimbo's older sister.

AR level: 4.1 MG
Recommended for: middle school ( )
  liblb | Nov 19, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to Miss Williams and Lilac Four. They are ... Zack, Kiran, George H., George, Kareem, Simon, Michael, Filipp, Alek, Laurence, Tim S., Henry, Fangze, Tim W., Megan, Anna, Lottie, Lubna, Clara, Charlie, Elise, Lola, and Jessica.
I also owe a big thank you to Anna Johnson for typing out the entire text and putting it onto the disk so that I could edit it properly.
I was on the balcony eating a sandwich.
Boom! (Originally published as: Gridzbi Spudvetch!)

It was a stupid, insane, suicidal idea. Which makes it quite hard to explain why I decided to help. I decided to help. I guess it boils down to this. Charlie was my best friend. I missed him. And I couldn't think of anything better to do. Really stupid reasons which were never going to impress the police, the headmistress, or my parents. Looking back, I reckon this was the moment when my whole life got turned upside down. (ARC)

When Jim and Charlie overhear two of their teachers talking in a secret language and the two friends set out to solve the mystery, they do not expect the dire consequences of their actions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,959,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible