The Distant Hours by Kate Morton

The Distant Hours (2010)

by Kate Morton

1,885None3,629 (3.82)124
2011 (24) 2013 (11) ARC (13) audiobook (10) Australian (13) books about books (10) castles (46) ebook (12) England (91) family (33) family secrets (32) fiction (198) gothic (69) historical (17) historical fiction (100) Kindle (19) mothers and daughters (11) mystery (102) novel (16) read (27) read in 2010 (10) read in 2011 (16) read in 2012 (11) romance (12) secrets (24) sisters (46) to-read (73) twins (24) writers (14) WWII (94)

English (126)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (138)
This is the forth book by Kate Morton I have read and this one was a bit tedious. I did not care for the characters as I had in the previous three books. Something so irksome reading page after page of a tiresome characters thoughts and smoking cigarettes. The story itself seemed forced and highly improbable. Which ruins a good read for me. I could not piece together why the two lovers did not travel to the castle together? Of course there would have been little story if that had happened. I truly enjoyed finding the little jewels hidden among the laborious prose. ( )
  Alphawoman | Apr 4, 2014 |
A lost letter delivered a half century late, leads to Milderhurst Castle. Eddie discovers that her mother was sent there from London during WW2.She searches for her mother's past life. ( )
  lindahallmann | Mar 1, 2014 |
The Distant Hours, by Kate Morton, is a tragic, gothic tale of three sisters living in an old castle in England. It flows back and forth in time between WWII and modern times (early 1990s): the main contemporary character, Edie, discovers that her mother stayed for a time in this castle as a child during the war. She becomes intrigued by the castle and its inhabitants (the same three sisters who cared for Edie's mother during the war now still live there in their elder years), and gradually uncovers its dark secrets.

Overall I found that the book was too long and took many more pages to tell the tragic story than were really warranted. True, there were a few twists that were only unveiled at the very end, but the convoluted jumping back-and-forth in time approach to getting there felt like overkill for something that was in the end a fairly straightforward gothic tale.

There is no question that the story was disturbing and the storytelling is atmospheric, and that both were clearly intended by the author. I mildly enjoyed it but it did not live up to my expectations and I am not sure if I will try other books by Kate Morton or not. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
For most of the book I thought I knew what the ending would be and I was disappointed that it had been so obvious. Then, when I got closer to the end I had a little niggling of doubt which grew and grew until I was sure I knew what the ending would be. Of course, at the very end it turned out both my hypotheses were incorrect. Love when that happens!

The year is 1992. Edie is an editor in a publishing house. Her long term relationship has broken up and she will have to move out of the flat they shared. She hasn't found a way to tell her parents who love her but don't seem to talk to her about anything important. Then, while she is home for Sunday dinner, her mother receives a letter. Maybe nothing too unusual in that except it was lost in the mail for 40 years. Edie's mother, Meredith, gets quite upset and finally tells Edie that during the war she and her siblings were sent to Kent so they would be safe. Except Meredith's siblings got chosen by other families and she was left behind in the village hall with a few other children. And then Juniper Blythe from the Milderhurst Castle swept into the hall and chose Meredith to come home with them. Juniper's father was a famous writer. His book, The True History of the Mud Man, became Edie's favourite book when she was a child. So, when Edie found herself close to Milderhurst she was unable to resist the urge to see it.

And so begins Edie's involvement with the castle and the Sisters Blythe. All three sisters are still alive, unmarried and living in the castle. Juniper has never recovered from losing her fiance in the war and the other two, Persephone and Seraphina, were also disappointed in love. As Edie delves into their story she becomes entwined in the mysteries that surround the sisters.

Part Gothic romance, part historical fiction and part murder mystery, this book was perfect for taking me away from the reality of a Manitoba winter. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jan 28, 2014 |
Kate Morton’s The Distant Hours honors the gothic genre with a dark tale featuring a set of twins, an ominous castle and family mystery. The story takes place in England and goes back and forth between 1942 and 1992. I enjoyed the story, but felt that it was pretty slow moving. There are several layers and twists to the mystery that are not revealed until nearly the end, which is when the novel picks up the pace. Once you get there, the novel is a great read. ( )
  BBleil | Dec 21, 2013 |
Milderhurst Castle is as enchanting to the reader as it is to Edie and her mother but the cast is rarely quite as absorbing because Meredith, Juniper and Thomas are sketchily drawn.

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ayers, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kwan, LaywanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Möllemann, NorbertÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snoijink, BobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kim Wilkins,

who encouraged me to start;

and

Davin Patterson,

who was with me to the last full stop
Hush ... can you hear him?

Edie Burchill, an only child of respectable if dull parents, suddenly finds her life upside down when she receives a letter that should have been delivered fifty years earlier. This letter will send her on a journey into the past and the secrets hidden in the stones of Milderhurst. Edie and her mother have never been close, but when the long lost letter arrives with the return address of Milderhurst Castle, Kent, printed on its envelope, Edie begins to suspect that her mother's emotional distance masks an old secret. Evacuated from London as a thirteen year old girl, Edie's mother is chosen by the mysterious Juniper Blythe, and taken to live at Millderhurst Castle with the Blythe family. Fifty years later, Edie too is drawn to Milderhurst and the eccentric Sisters Blythe. Old ladies now, the three still live together, the twins nursing Juniper, whose abandonment by her fiance in 1941 plunged her into madness. Inside the decaying castle, Edie begins to unravel her mother's past. But there are other secrets hidden in the stones of Milderhurst Castle, and Edie is about to learn more than she expected. The truth of what happened in the distant hours has been waiting a long time for someone to find it...
Edie discovers
Buried family secrets,
Mysteries galore.
(passion4reading)

A long-lost letter arriving at its destination fifty years after it was sent lures Edie Burchill to crumbling Milderhurst Castle, home of the three elderly Blythe sisters, where Edie's mother was sent to stay as a teenager during World War II.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,418,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible