The Distant Hours by Kate Morton

The Distant Hours (2010)

by Kate Morton

Recently added bysuresh_gkris, JaneDutton, private library, bookmess, Dreamchen, BCTG, jpierce87

English (128)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (140)
I gave this book more than a 200 page chance and for the life of me could not get into it. The writing seemed very choppy, alternating between the past and present day. Also, I couldn't get invested in the characters; they were very uninteresting, lacked character development and in over 200 pages still couldn't understand where and what the story was leading. Disappointing, as I enjoyed some of her previous titles. ( )
  patrish | Jul 9, 2014 |
I am very glad I was listening to the audio version of this book----I was hesitant by the idea that there were 18 disks! (fortunately, I had a major project to work on that needed listening material)---- but I loved Caroline Lee's voice enough to keep going. This is quite a story and the descriptions put me right there, watching. Although it's a lengthy tale, it flows well and I was totally involved in wondering who did what, where, when and why. I do agree with a previous reviewer mentioning the amount of cigarette smoking---part of it was a sign of the times during the war but it does get exhausting, no matter what decade it's in. ( )
  nyiper | May 3, 2014 |
This is the forth book by Kate Morton I have read and this one was a bit tedious. I did not care for the characters as I had in the previous three books. Something so irksome reading page after page of a tiresome characters thoughts and smoking cigarettes. The story itself seemed forced and highly improbable. Which ruins a good read for me. I could not piece together why the two lovers did not travel to the castle together? Of course there would have been little story if that had happened. I truly enjoyed finding the little jewels hidden among the laborious prose. ( )
  Alphawoman | Apr 4, 2014 |
A lost letter delivered a half century late, leads to Milderhurst Castle. Eddie discovers that her mother was sent there from London during WW2.She searches for her mother's past life. ( )
  lindahallmann | Mar 1, 2014 |
The Distant Hours, by Kate Morton, is a tragic, gothic tale of three sisters living in an old castle in England. It flows back and forth in time between WWII and modern times (early 1990s): the main contemporary character, Edie, discovers that her mother stayed for a time in this castle as a child during the war. She becomes intrigued by the castle and its inhabitants (the same three sisters who cared for Edie's mother during the war now still live there in their elder years), and gradually uncovers its dark secrets.

Overall I found that the book was too long and took many more pages to tell the tragic story than were really warranted. True, there were a few twists that were only unveiled at the very end, but the convoluted jumping back-and-forth in time approach to getting there felt like overkill for something that was in the end a fairly straightforward gothic tale.

There is no question that the story was disturbing and the storytelling is atmospheric, and that both were clearly intended by the author. I mildly enjoyed it but it did not live up to my expectations and I am not sure if I will try other books by Kate Morton or not. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Milderhurst Castle is as enchanting to the reader as it is to Edie and her mother but the cast is rarely quite as absorbing because Meredith, Juniper and Thomas are sketchily drawn.

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ayers, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kwan, LaywanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Möllemann, NorbertÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snoijink, BobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hush. . . Can you hear him?
The Trees can.  They are the first to know that he is coming.
Listen! The trees of the deep, dark wood, shivering and jittering their leaves like papery hulls of beaten silver; the sly wind, snaking through their tops, whispering that soon it will begin.
The trees know, for they are old and they have seen it all before.
- "The True History of the Mud Man, Chapter 1"
For Kim Wilkins,

who encouraged me to start;

and

Davin Patterson,

who was with me to the last full stop
Hush ... can you hear him?

Edie Burchill, an only child of respectable if dull parents, suddenly finds her life upside down when she receives a letter that should have been delivered fifty years earlier. This letter will send her on a journey into the past and the secrets hidden in the stones of Milderhurst. Edie and her mother have never been close, but when the long lost letter arrives with the return address of Milderhurst Castle, Kent, printed on its envelope, Edie begins to suspect that her mother's emotional distance masks an old secret. Evacuated from London as a thirteen year old girl, Edie's mother is chosen by the mysterious Juniper Blythe, and taken to live at Millderhurst Castle with the Blythe family. Fifty years later, Edie too is drawn to Milderhurst and the eccentric Sisters Blythe. Old ladies now, the three still live together, the twins nursing Juniper, whose abandonment by her fiance in 1941 plunged her into madness. Inside the decaying castle, Edie begins to unravel her mother's past. But there are other secrets hidden in the stones of Milderhurst Castle, and Edie is about to learn more than she expected. The truth of what happened in the distant hours has been waiting a long time for someone to find it...
Edie discovers
Buried family secrets,
Mysteries galore.
(passion4reading)

A long-lost letter arriving at its destination fifty years after it was sent lures Edie Burchill to crumbling Milderhurst Castle, home of the three elderly Blythe sisters, where Edie's mother was sent to stay as a teenager during World War II.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible