The Distant Hours by Kate Morton

The Distant Hours (2010)

by Kate Morton

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (library_gal, Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Pretty much the same plot.
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Sister by Poppy Adams (starfishian)
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (starfishian)
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tina1969)
    The Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In both The Distant Hours and The Seduction of Water a children's story drives daughters to unravel the secrets of their mothers' pasts. Atmospheric settings, storylines past and present, mysteries, and Gothic trappings propel these polished, character-centered tales.… (more)
    Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (caittilynn)

English (151)  Spanish (7)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (164)
This was an intriguing saga about three sisters who live in a castle, their father, who was writer, and a young woman, Edie, who becomes enthralled with their story and her own connections to it. At times I found the jumping back and forth through time a little confusing and there were parts where I felt it could have been cut shorter, but overall I was kept thoroughly engaged. Fascinating characters and a great story line. ( )
  CarolPreston | Apr 25, 2016 |
The Distant Hours by Kate Morton; ROOT; (3 1/2*)

I found this book to be a nice, whimsical mystery story that held my interest mainly because of the characters. I liked it. ( )
  rainpebble | Apr 23, 2016 |
I really liked it from about page 200, but it took forever for me to get into it. I enjoyed the Forgotten Garden much better. ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |
Pure gothic in a WWII setting. If you liked The Thirteenth Tale, you'll probably like this. I recommend the audio version. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Geez. This book took ages to get a bit more interesting. More than 200 pages at least. I see there are many disappointed readers. I am not one of them but I am also not one of the 5 star reviewers. With such a bad start I could not give this book more than 3 stars.

She is a great storyteller but this was so slow I got annoyed even.It does not really inspire me to write a good review. so 3 stars. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Milderhurst Castle is as enchanting to the reader as it is to Edie and her mother but the cast is rarely quite as absorbing because Meredith, Juniper and Thomas are sketchily drawn.

En romantisk thriller og etterlengtet tredjebok fra forfatteren av Tilbake til Riverton og Den glemte hagen.
Et brev postet i 1941 når endelig sin mottaker i 1992, med store ringvirkninger for forlagsdirektøren Edie Burchill fra London.
I det forfalne Milderhurst Slott bor det aldrende tvillingparet Pesephone og Seraphina sammen med deres yngre halvsøster, Juniper. De tre eksentriske ugifte kvinnene er døtre av Raymond Blyte, forfatteren av The True History of the Mud Man, en barnebokklassiker som Edie elsker.
Edie, som senere blir invitert til å skrive et forord i et opptrykk av Raymonds mesterverk, besøker det sjarmerende slottet på jakt etter svar.
Hvorfor ble moren hennes så knust av innholdet i et brev sendt 51 år tidligere? Og hva hendte med soldaten Thomas Cavill, Junipers lenge savnede forlovede og Merediths tidligere lærer? Svaret vil overraske leserne.

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ayers, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kwan, LaywanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Möllemann, NorbertÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snoijink, BobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hush. . . Can you hear him?
The Trees can.  They are the first to know that he is coming.
Listen! The trees of the deep, dark wood, shivering and jittering their leaves like papery hulls of beaten silver; the sly wind, snaking through their tops, whispering that soon it will begin.
The trees know, for they are old and they have seen it all before.
- "The True History of the Mud Man, Chapter 1"
For Kim Wilkins,
who encouraged me to start;
and
Davin Patterson,
who was with me to the last full stop
Hush ... can you hear him?

Edie Burchill, an only child of respectable if dull parents, suddenly finds her life upside down when she receives a letter that should have been delivered fifty years earlier. This letter will send her on a journey into the past and the secrets hidden in the stones of Milderhurst. Edie and her mother have never been close, but when the long lost letter arrives with the return address of Milderhurst Castle, Kent, printed on its envelope, Edie begins to suspect that her mother's emotional distance masks an old secret. Evacuated from London as a thirteen year old girl, Edie's mother is chosen by the mysterious Juniper Blythe, and taken to live at Millderhurst Castle with the Blythe family. Fifty years later, Edie too is drawn to Milderhurst and the eccentric Sisters Blythe. Old ladies now, the three still live together, the twins nursing Juniper, whose abandonment by her fiance in 1941 plunged her into madness. Inside the decaying castle, Edie begins to unravel her mother's past. But there are other secrets hidden in the stones of Milderhurst Castle, and Edie is about to learn more than she expected. The truth of what happened in the distant hours has been waiting a long time for someone to find it...
Edie discovers
Buried family secrets,
Mysteries galore.
(passion4reading)

A long-lost letter arriving at its destination fifty years after it was sent lures Edie Burchill to crumbling Milderhurst Castle, home of the three elderly Blythe sisters, where Edie's mother was sent to stay as a teenager during World War II.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible