Die fernen Stunden: Roman by Kate Morton

Die fernen Stunden: Roman (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Kate Morton, Charlotte Breuer (Übersetzer), Norbert Möllemann (Übersetzer)

Member:feivel
Title:Die fernen Stunden: Roman
Authors:Kate Morton
Other authors:Charlotte Breuer (Übersetzer), Norbert Möllemann (Übersetzer)
Info:Diana Verlag (2012), Taschenbuch, 736 Seiten
Collections:Your library, Historische Romane, Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton (2010)

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (library_gal, Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Pretty much the same plot.
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Sister by Poppy Adams (starfishian)
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (starfishian)
    The Legacy by Katherine Webb (tina1969)
    The Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In both The Distant Hours and The Seduction of Water a children's story drives daughters to unravel the secrets of their mothers' pasts. Atmospheric settings, storylines past and present, mysteries, and Gothic trappings propel these polished, character-centered tales.… (more)
    Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (caittilynn)

English (155)  Spanish (7)  German (4)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (169)
This was one of those books that tried too hard to be fantastic. The premise is good. The setting is good; I enjoy stories set in World War 2 Britain. The story, while it has moments of brilliance, isn't that good. It flips back and forth between 1992 and 1941 in a convoluted twist and never lives up to its potential. The ending, where everything should finally come together and be revealed is anti-climatic. I never did connect with any characters. I simply found myself impatient for the story to be over. I should have stopped reading, but I kept wanting to give the book the chance to redeem itself. It never did.

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
I tried so hard to read this one. I tried for almost a month straight but couldn't get past a certain point. I felt like everything kept dragging on without it actually going anywhere. The story felt stalled and I wasn't interested enough to continue.
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
When I read this was a gothic fiction I thought there was going to be many things to scare me and make me not want to sleep at night. Not so with this book. It is a sad story about three sisters who are all damaged in some way. It's set back during WWII and 1992. The past meets the future or current time meets the past. Edie's life in 1992 is interwoven with the Blythe sisters more than she first realizes and she slowly learns what happened back in 1941 with the sisters. This is a very sad tale and you just really feel for the sisters and who they are emotionally and mentally trapped by their upbringing. It was not the book I thought it was going to be but it was well written. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I have other books by Morton. There was so much repetition of virtually the same scene from various characters' perspectives, and it took forever to get to the end where I discovered that I had figured everything out at least 100 pages earlier. ( )
  terran | Jul 8, 2016 |
Milderhurst Castle is as enchanting to the reader as it is to Edie and her mother but the cast is rarely quite as absorbing because Meredith, Juniper and Thomas are sketchily drawn.

En romantisk thriller og etterlengtet tredjebok fra forfatteren av Tilbake til Riverton og Den glemte hagen.
Et brev postet i 1941 når endelig sin mottaker i 1992, med store ringvirkninger for forlagsdirektøren Edie Burchill fra London.
I det forfalne Milderhurst Slott bor det aldrende tvillingparet Pesephone og Seraphina sammen med deres yngre halvsøster, Juniper. De tre eksentriske ugifte kvinnene er døtre av Raymond Blyte, forfatteren av The True History of the Mud Man, en barnebokklassiker som Edie elsker.
Edie, som senere blir invitert til å skrive et forord i et opptrykk av Raymonds mesterverk, besøker det sjarmerende slottet på jakt etter svar.
Hvorfor ble moren hennes så knust av innholdet i et brev sendt 51 år tidligere? Og hva hendte med soldaten Thomas Cavill, Junipers lenge savnede forlovede og Merediths tidligere lærer? Svaret vil overraske leserne.

Kate Mortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ayers, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elisabet W. MiddelthonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kwan, LaywanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Möllemann, NorbertÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, Elisabet W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snoijink, BobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hush. . . Can you hear him?
The Trees can.  They are the first to know that he is coming.
Listen! The trees of the deep, dark wood, shivering and jittering their leaves like papery hulls of beaten silver; the sly wind, snaking through their tops, whispering that soon it will begin.
The trees know, for they are old and they have seen it all before.
- "The True History of the Mud Man, Chapter 1"
For Kim Wilkins,
who encouraged me to start;
and
Davin Patterson,
who was with me to the last full stop
Hush ... can you hear him?

Edie Burchill, an only child of respectable if dull parents, suddenly finds her life upside down when she receives a letter that should have been delivered fifty years earlier. This letter will send her on a journey into the past and the secrets hidden in the stones of Milderhurst. Edie and her mother have never been close, but when the long lost letter arrives with the return address of Milderhurst Castle, Kent, printed on its envelope, Edie begins to suspect that her mother's emotional distance masks an old secret. Evacuated from London as a thirteen year old girl, Edie's mother is chosen by the mysterious Juniper Blythe, and taken to live at Millderhurst Castle with the Blythe family. Fifty years later, Edie too is drawn to Milderhurst and the eccentric Sisters Blythe. Old ladies now, the three still live together, the twins nursing Juniper, whose abandonment by her fiance in 1941 plunged her into madness. Inside the decaying castle, Edie begins to unravel her mother's past. But there are other secrets hidden in the stones of Milderhurst Castle, and Edie is about to learn more than she expected. The truth of what happened in the distant hours has been waiting a long time for someone to find it...
Edie discovers
Buried family secrets,
Mysteries galore.
(passion4reading)

A long-lost letter arriving at its destination fifty years after it was sent lures Edie Burchill to crumbling Milderhurst Castle, home of the three elderly Blythe sisters, where Edie's mother was sent to stay as a teenager during World War II.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,490,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible