Förgörelsen : andra delen i trilogin om…

Förgörelsen : andra delen i trilogin om släktet (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Guillermo del Toro, Chuck Hogan, Anders Bellis

Member:fridaa48
Title:Förgörelsen : andra delen i trilogin om släktet
Authors:Guillermo del Toro
Other authors:Chuck Hogan, Anders Bellis
Info:Bra böcker, 2010.
Collections:Lästa, Read but unowned
Tags:Vampyrer, Fantasy, Skräck, Postapokalyps, Läst2013

The Fall by Guillermo Del Toro (2010)

English (76)  Danish (1)  All (77)
Darkly thrilling, utterly compelling: an excellent second book in this trio of horror novels in which vampires are rightfully something to be scared of. I await the third book, The Night Eternal, with much excitement. If this series concludes with the same energy of The Fall, it will be a very satisfying end to this groundbreaking story. ( )
  SarahHayes | Feb 20, 2017 |
I absolutely loved this second part of the trilogy. Often, the second book of three tends to be slow and a bit tedious, at least partway through, but no part of this was either of those things. A thrill ride from start to finish, with so many answers leading to so many more questions and so many things left to think about. I definitely wasn't expecting that ending and I'm certainly interested to see where The Night Eternal and the conclusion of the trilogy take this story. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

I have to say, though, that there are some things I just didn't think that I'd like which happened in this book and yet...I'm satisfied about them. For instance, I didn't think that I'd be able to be okay with Setrakian dying before the end of the trilogy, I didn't think I'd be okay with him dying before the Master bit it for good, and I didn't think I'd be okay with the Master choosing a new vessel and casting away Sardu's. But the way that the authors wrote it was completely satisfying and completely fitting. I'm glad that Setrakian got the ending that he did, and I'm glad that he was able to release Sardu at the same time. I'm glad that Sardu's soul was truly released and left the collective of souls that the Master keeps with him, because I've always felt bad for him. So many years. Finally, release. And I'm glad that it was Setrakian who was able to do that, with his last act of defiance, because for Setrakian it began with the Master in that body and I'm glad that for Setrakian and for the Master that body ended with the conclusion of Setrakian's life. I'm glad that Setrakian was able to die peacefully, as well. It just...seemed so perfectly fitting. Something that I had dreaded and had thought I would hate, actually became my favorite part of this second book and, perhaps, it will continue on to be my favorite part of the trilogy itself.

I also have to say that I'm glad that Setrakian was able to destroy Eichhorst, as well.

I was also unsure about Palmer dying before the end of the trilogy, as well. He was such a good adversary, such a good obstacle, but his time really had been played out and I like his ending. I think it was perhaps the best ending I could have wished for for that awful character.

I'm going to be on pins and needles until I can get hold of the last book and see what happens with the remaining characters and what becomes of the world. I definitely recommend this trilogy and this book for anyone who likes sci-fi and vampires, and misses when vampires were the evil thing that went bump in the night and it was okay to hunt them indiscriminately in fiction. ( )
  madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |
A perfect tie-in to Vampire Hunter D. The fall of humanity, the rise of the vampire lord.

Of course, this isn't a tie-in, and we still have one book left. I didn't find this story as engaging as the first and it seems impossible for humanity to make a comeback.

I'll read the next, and final, book. But I am not holding my breath. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Better than the first in many ways. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
I wasn't terribly impressed with The Strain. I liked the premise, and I loved the initial 150 pages or so, but it eventually devolved into mindless, repetitive action and I found I was forcing myself to read it towards the end.

I was hoping this would improve, maybe develop the plot some more, and to some degrees it did, kind of. We find out more about the mysterious Ancients, and the vampires develop a bit more so they feel less like, well, zombies. There are some positives here, but unfortunately, it's still inundated with endless vampire slaying scenes. Over and over and over again.

My issue with this is how similar they are. The vampires have to be killed in the same way every time, and there is always the post-battle irradiation description. I confess I started skimming these, because for ****'s sake how many times do I have to read through the characters sterilizing an area with UV light?

I'm really at the point where I kind of just don't want to read the final book, I haven't started it and I'm already dreading it. Not because they are bad, I'm giving this book 3 stars, I'm just afraid it's going to be another dull, monotonous read. With that said, I'm 2 books in, so I can't not read it. Argh! ( )
  Ape | Nov 4, 2016 |
Mientras la enfermedad y la cuarentena empiezan a desparramarse por todo el país y el mundo, Eph y Nora identifican el parásito gusano que es el agente infeccioso. Se encuentran atrapados entre las dos facciones en guerra, los Vampiros del Viejo Mundo y los Vampiros del Nuevo Mundo, que luchan para controlar el planeta. Los humanos se han visto desplazados hasta el tope de la cadena alimenticia y ahora comprenden, para su horror, lo que es no ser el consumidor sino... el consumido.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Del Toro, Guillermoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hogan, ChuckAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Raitio, RistoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Lorenza, with all my love. - GDT
For my four favorite creatures. - CH
Extract from the diary of Ephraim Goodweather

(from the back of the book) The vampiric virus is spreading and soon will envelop the globe. Amid the chaos, Eph Goodweather - head of the Center for Disease Control's team - leads a band out to stop these bloodthirsty monsters. But it may be too late.

Ignited by the Master's horrific plan, a war has erupted between Old and New World vampires. Caught between these warring forces, powerless and vulnerable, humans find themselves no longer the consumers but the comsumed. At the center of the conflict lies an ancient text that contains the vampires' entire hhistory...and their darkest secrets. Whoever finds the book can control the outcome of the war and, ultimately, the fate of us all.

As New World vampires go to war with Old World vampires over an ancient book containing the entire history and darkest secrets of the vampires, Eph Goodweather and his team from the Centers for Disease Control seek to stop the vampiric plague and the monsters it has created.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,286,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible