The Smart Aleck's Guide to American…

The Smart Aleck's Guide to American History

by Adam Selzer

An excellent guide to American History! Though listed as a kids book, I find that this is a great reference book for all ages. It contains information that any average American should know about the history of his own country. This book will enlighten its readers about both the little known facts and over-looked people of history and the lies and half-truths we have been passing off to school children for generations as "the whole truth and nothing but the truth". Required reading for all those who seek knowledge and for all those who SHOULD BE seeking it. Fun and education, a history book doesn't get much better then this! ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
Fun and irreverant look at American history. Covers the 20th century in terms of the Billy Joel song, "We Didn't Start the Fire." Funny! Learned a few things, too. Found this book in Powell's Bookstore in Portland, Oregon. Glad I picked it up. ( )
  dd196406 | Jul 16, 2012 |
This is meant for a younger audience who want to learn American history with humor. Not for me. ( )
  sherton | Apr 7, 2011 |
This was very funny and had a lot of interesting facts in it, and I think kids will love it. I think adults will get something out of it too. I loved the "stupid hats in history" thing. However, I do think the authors' habit of flirting with swear words without actually saying them was really annoying. ( )
  meggyweg | Oct 16, 2010 |

Do you know America? No, I mean, do you REALLY know America? Would you recognize John Adams in a lineup? Can you identify any presidents between Lincoln and Roosevelt?

Hmmm. I thought so.

Well, you really need this book.

Not only will it improve your sorry historical knowledge, it will crack you up, and give you material to throw your teachers off-balance for entire class periods. Identify their lies! Point out their half-truths! And possibly, just possibly, gain some extra credit for yourself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:02 -0400)

Improve your historical knowledge with this witty and efficient presentation of pivotal themes and events such as the American Revolution, Civil War, and civil rights movement. This clever and informative work follows a chronological arrangement from early exploration to the inauguration of President Barack Obama in January 2009.… (more)

Adam Selzer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,147,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible