Pandora Hearts, Vol. 3 by Jun Mochizuki

Pandora Hearts, Vol. 3 (edition 2010)

by Jun Mochizuki

Member:Catkin22
Title:Pandora Hearts, Vol. 3
Authors:Jun Mochizuki
Info:Yen Press (2010), Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****

Pandora Hearts, Vol. 3 by Jun Mochizuki

This book adds quite a bit of backstory to our characters’ pasts. When B Rabbit/Alice asks about Oz’s parents and Oz runs into a young boy whom he sympathizes with; we get some flashbacks into Oz’s relationship with his father that explain a lot about his personality.

We also find out more about what happened to Gil during the time when Oz was in the Abyss. Additionally we are introduced in more depth to the Nightray Dukedom and get to learn more about Vincent and Echo.

As with previous books there is an action packed fight between B Rabbit and an escaped Chain. With all these escaped Chains our characters are beginning to suspect something is afoot…

The artwork is well done and pretty easy to follow. The plot is getting fairly complex and jumps between groups of characters abruptly...so the story is harder to follow. I had to go back and reread things a number of times to make sure I understood what was going on. Because of this I didn’t like this book quite as much as volume 2.

Overall a well done addition to this series. Things are getting a bit convoluted and complex to follow. However, I am enjoying all the interesting background we get on our characters. I plan on continuing the series. ( )
  krau0098 | Aug 1, 2016 |
This series is still dropping names all over the place like the mean something, but they aren't really going to explain anything so EVERYTHING remains all confusing. Continuing to also rain characters down from the sky and explain none of them. ( )
  Maverynthia | Dec 13, 2015 |
At this point in the series, Break looks like a creepy user, Vincent is just plain creepy (but also a devoted brother?), and Gil is obsessed with Oz. And Oz is an idiot who throws himself into danger without a single thought.

Again, aspects of Philippe's story and the girl contractor in the previous volume should probably have been combined. Philippe and his father's story is a bit stronger than the girl contractor's, but it still falls flat in the end. Philippe, having served his purpose, ends up being completely forgotten, which doesn't gel well with Mochizuki's efforts to make both us and Oz care about him at least a little. Not a single person asked “Who's going to take care of Philippe now?”, and it bothered me.

One question that occurred to me after I finished this volume: How can killing a Chain free its contractor if damage inflicted upon a Chain affects the Chain's contractor? Wouldn't killing the Chain also kill the contractor? Maybe there was an explanation that I missed.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Dec 13, 2014 |
I definitely like the series. I just wish I didn't have to go backward, so often, to figure out who someone is or what is happening in the story. I feel a little like the crazy rabbit with missing pieces of "memory."

I know it is not just my inexperience with Manga, because there are several other series I can follow with no problem.

Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
Cannot finish. It is too confusing, I am too old for Manga. I quit.
  ZabetReading | Sep 21, 2013 |

Jun Mochizukiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kimura, TomoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Having returned from the infernal Abyss only to find his whole world changed, young "sinner" Oz Vessalius embarks on an attempt at normalcy after being reunited with his best friend and valet, Gilbert, whom he had presumed dead. But during a trip into town with Gil and Alice, an unexpected encounter leads Oz down memory lane. For Oz, however, the path is one covered with the most menacing of thorns. And lying in wait to assail him there. The baleful eye of his father and the echoes of cursed words Oz would much rather forget."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,622,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible