Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz

Stormbreaker

by Anthony Horowitz

Series: Alex Rider (Book 1)

Recently added byGGISHS, slaterfamily, UICS, CeliaScott, private library, Scrambledspirit, adolph15, BrynnV, parramarist

(5.4)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
As a young adult homage to James Bond, Stormbreaker is a lot of fun. It's fast-paced, exciting and contains a surprising amount of tension for a short novel. The story is set out like a classic Bond film, featuring a flamboyantly evil villain, gadgets in the shape of every-day objects, an imposing mute henchman and a hero who bravely spouts one-liners in the face of death. Although a novel of this type could easily become dark and gritty, Horowitz keeps his story light by reducing violence to a minimum and ensuring that Alex does not carry a gun.

However, to fully appreciate this story you must be able to suspend your disbelief. It is a lot of fun but the plot is completely out there. If you go into this story expecting something coherent and deep, you're going to be severely disappointed. The villian's overall scheme is in equal parts brilliant and bizarre, seeming all the more over the top when you understand his motives. I won't spoil it for you here (it has to be read to be fully appreciated) but believe me when I say it's unforgettable.

My only real problem with the story is the weak characterisation. There are no strong female characters within the novel(something that I hope is rectified in future instalments) and the main characters (Alex and Sayle) are little more than a teenage James Bond and typical stock Bond villain. Alex, in particular, is one of the worst Gary Stus that I've ever encountered in a novel as he has no personality traits beyond the ability to be absolutely perfect in everything that he does.

So pick it up if you want a read that's light and entertaining. Just don't expect a lot of substance beyond this. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Aug 4, 2014 |
If not for a book quiz on facebook, I would have never heard of the Alex Rider series. It told me I should like these books, & since it was a spy series set in England, the protagonist being a 14-year-old kid, I said what the heck (had he been an adult, I would have used the other word).

It was great. There was a lot of action, the storyline made sense, & the kid is not a dumb-ass. If I were 14 I probably would have a crush on him, really. I really like the author's writing style & I am very excited to read the rest. ( )
1 vote mvbdlr | Aug 2, 2014 |
Youth-oriented James Bond homage. The hero is only 14 and falls into his fate, so is without the Bond swagger. But the story has all the trappings: swarthy, well-spoken villains, taciturn henchmen, gadgets releasing our hero from deviously intricate peril, dramatic locations and pacing. Pulp-y as in lots of drive, little depth, but exciting and inventive. One could easily be tempted to read Book 2... ( )
  eglinton | Jul 22, 2014 |
This book was about a spy named Alex Rider. What Alex Rider did was that he worked for the MI6 in London and was appointed there because he found out that his uncle had really been a spy there too. They made Alex a spy in place of his uncle that died in a mission. It turns out Alex was very useful and he went through training quickly. Then, they sent him to a place near the shore, that was a factory and he had been ordered to find and if possible, kill a man named Herod Sayle. Herod Sayle was a man who was from Cairo and was extremely smart so he started a business and now is delivering computers called Stormbreakers to schools all around Great Britain. The MI6 suspected something wrong with it because of his uncle and sent Alex to investigate. Alex went their as a pretend student to be the first to use the stormbreaker and found lots of evidence that the stormbreaker computers had a virus, but a virus that was in the computer but also came out when it was turned on and could kill thousands of children but Alex found out and in the end he had gotten trapped in an aquarium holding a giant Portuguese Man of War jelly fish but managed to break out with one of his gadgets and kill Herod Sayle before he delivered the computers.

My opinion on this book is that it was a very good book. I liked the fact that they had chosen only a fourteen year old boy in London to do jobs an adult should be doing just because his uncle had been a spy at the MI6. I also liked the fact that the author of the book had managed to make Alex into an exceptional spy and still make it believable that he could do the things that he could. The stormbreaker computers was also a very good idea to put into the story. Also the background of how Herod Sayle grew up in Cairo but saved some rich people so they adopted him but he was bullied in school and the he wanted revenge so he created the stormbreakers with a virus was very creative. I knew that there were 6 or 7 sequels of Alex Rider so I knew that he wouldn't die in this book but he came very close to dying in the book. That was what made the book super interesting for me. That was my summary for Alex Rider Stormbreaker book. ( )
  SeanB.B3 | May 30, 2014 |

Anthony Horowitzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, LiamPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evans, GreyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goyat, Annick LeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindforss, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Ewijck, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the doorbell rings at three in the morning, it's never good news.
He had torn the fence out of the ground. Alex ran over to the man and examined him. For a moment he thought it might be Yassen, but it was a younger man, dark haired, ugly. The man was unconscious but still breathing. The flamethrower lay extinguished on the ground beside him. Behind him he heard the other bike, some distance away but closing. Whoever these people were, they had tired to run him down, to cut him in half, and to incinerate him. He had to find a way out before they really got serious. (P. 139-140)

"This book is gripping from the first page. A phenomenal book in many ways. It is a must read book."

After Alex Rider figured out that his uncle, Ian Rider was a spy, he decided to help his dead uncle complete his mission. He had to do hard and nasty trainings just to get ready for the mission. Alex always became curious when he heard someone say something was going to happen. It always made me nervous because I was afraid that maybe he would get caught by one of the members of the Sayle Enterprises. He's always brave to try out all different sorts of things that his uncle left before when he was still alive. The mission he had to complete was to stop the Stormbreakers, which were computers, to get sent out, because there was computer viruses in those computers. Hope that Alex can complete his mission for his uncle and that way he would know why his uncle died!

Ten years ago, Anthony Horowitz introduced the world to Alex Rider . . . and now his debut mission is back in a special fully loaded anniversary edition! Packed with bonus material - including a brand new Alex Rider short story, a letter from Anthony Horowitz, and much more!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:53 -0400)

After the death of the uncle who had been his guardian, fourteen-year-old Alex Rider is coerced to continue his uncle's dangerous work for Britain's intelligence agency, MI6.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,909,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible