Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz

Stormbreaker

by Anthony Horowitz

Series: Alex Rider (Book 1)

The book was in United kingdom. The book has a bunch of action and mystery. In the begging its kinda slow but then after alex uncle dies, the action starts. Its starts when alex's uncle is killed in a car accident but alex is not so sure so he goes to investigate. Alex notices three bullet holes in the car and notices that his uncle wasn't killed in a car accident. Alex goes and investigates his uncles work to uncover that his uncle is a British spy. So alex is recruited and trains for a week with older spies and after his training is done he gets gadgets and goes to find out what the billionaire who is giving free laptops to the whole country is up to. towards the end alex gets captured and is put into a aquarium with a big jelly fish. alex breaks out and gets on the plane to london where the prime minister will turn on the laptops that will release a poisonous gas in the air that will kill all the children in London. Alex then parachutes down to stop the prime minister. Alex saves the day.
It was a great book. they had really cool gadgets like the game boy and exploding zit cream. ( )
  anthonyh.B1 | Mar 23, 2015 |
This book is about a boy who has lost his dad mom and little brother in an accident and is raised by his uncle who he thinks is a bank manager. His uncle is actually a spy for a top secret UK organization. his uncle dies in a car accident and Alex is told that his uncle didn't have a seat belt on but that's a lie. Alex goes to his funeral and there are 2 mysterious men who he later figures out is his uncles employers. They eventually recruit Alex to go on a spy mission for them but before he can he goes to a boot camp which is the same boot camp the English special forces go to. He has some trouble there but he finally is ready for his mission to a corporation that makes advanced tech and they made a new CPU that they are giving for free to every school in England. but that's very odd because the CPU's cost thousands to make so Alex is sent to figure it out. He arrives and they allow him to stay and test the CPU's he thins there great and nothings wrong but there is something wrong later while Alex is having dinner with Sayle (the man creating the CPU's) he suspicious Vole (one of Sayle's henchmen) steals Alex's phone and tracks the SIM card to his house in Chelsea she is confronted by Alex and they fight Alex wins. The next day Alex's cover is blown and they capture Alex. Sayle tells Alex his plot he his installed a virus in each computer and when they are all delivered they will release and kill all the school children. Sayle leaves Alex to die and goes to deliver they CPU's to the country later Alex escapes and ruins Sayles plan and in the end Alex is a hero.

I enjoyed this book very much and hope to finish the series. I gave this book this rating because it was different than other books with a kid being the hero. Also it was very fun to try and figure out the plot. I wasn't able to keep my eyes off the book. I hope the rest of the series will be as enjoyable as this one. ( )
  nicholasvb1 | Mar 22, 2015 |
If you ever watched James Bond Junior in the early nineties, that's what this is. It's essentially James Bond's nephew filling his shoes with MI6. I enjoyed this a great deal more than I expected to! It's fun, adventurous, thrilling, and approachable (it isn't precocious - even if the protagonist is). The antagonist's motivation was a bit...meh. It was just very juvenile motivation; that being said, if I ever became a criminal mastermind, I'd probably have the same motivation (I'll never accuse myself of being overly mature. As I tell my students, I'm 27 going on four). ( )
  benuathanasia | Feb 13, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book! It was the first book I read by this author and it prompted me to read every other Horowitz novel since then. It is a spy novel of a teenage boy named Alex Rider, who ultimately ends up joining MI6 in London. The best part about the novel was that it seemed realistic and was definitely not cheesy which was my major concern in reading a "spy book". The kid's life is not only extremely hard, but the situations he is in are actually frightening, dangerous, violent, and even tragic. Horowitz keeps the plot from becoming too "fluffy" with danger, suspense, and death. I thought the book was witty, and had an intricate and exciting story-line. I would definitely recommend it to friends and anyone who likes an exciting mystery and action novel.
  TimSher | Jan 22, 2015 |
It was alright. I like more complicated plots. It was overly simplistic once Alex Rider got to the compound. The villains were comical rather than sinister. Too much like caricatures. A lot of luck was involved in Alex's adventures, too shallow and not enough depth, rather like an action film that focuses more on action than plot. It was enjoyable enough. ( )
  LindaLiu | Dec 14, 2014 |

Anthony Horowitzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, LiamPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evans, GreyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goyat, Annick LeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindforss, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Ewijck, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the doorbell rings at three in the morning, it's never good news.
He had torn the fence out of the ground. Alex ran over to the man and examined him. For a moment he thought it might be Yassen, but it was a younger man, dark haired, ugly. The man was unconscious but still breathing. The flamethrower lay extinguished on the ground beside him. Behind him he heard the other bike, some distance away but closing. Whoever these people were, they had tired to run him down, to cut him in half, and to incinerate him. He had to find a way out before they really got serious. (P. 139-140)

"This book is gripping from the first page. A phenomenal book in many ways. It is a must read book."

After Alex Rider figured out that his uncle, Ian Rider was a spy, he decided to help his dead uncle complete his mission. He had to do hard and nasty trainings just to get ready for the mission. Alex always became curious when he heard someone say something was going to happen. It always made me nervous because I was afraid that maybe he would get caught by one of the members of the Sayle Enterprises. He's always brave to try out all different sorts of things that his uncle left before when he was still alive. The mission he had to complete was to stop the Stormbreakers, which were computers, to get sent out, because there was computer viruses in those computers. Hope that Alex can complete his mission for his uncle and that way he would know why his uncle died!

Ten years ago, Anthony Horowitz introduced the world to Alex Rider . . . and now his debut mission is back in a special fully loaded anniversary edition! Packed with bonus material - including a brand new Alex Rider short story, a letter from Anthony Horowitz, and much more!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:53 -0400)

After the death of the uncle who had been his guardian, fourteen-year-old Alex Rider is coerced to continue his uncle's dangerous work for Britain's intelligence agency, MI6.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,154,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible