Stormbreaker (Alex Rider) by Anthony…

Stormbreaker (Alex Rider) (edition 2006)

by Anthony Horowitz

Member:mtome
Title:Stormbreaker (Alex Rider)
Authors:Anthony Horowitz
Info:Puffin (2006), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:****1/2

Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz

Meh. It was alright, but I have no desire to continue the series.

It contains one of my YA pet peeves, which is when a character risks dire consequences (e.g. death or dismemberment) merely for the sake of mild curiosity or an unfounded hunch.

Maybe Alex just doesn't really care about death at all, considering he was pretty emotionless when told his uncle/father-figure had died.

[SPOILERS BELOW]

I also think it was unrealistic that Alex was able to point a gun in the direction of the prime minister and not get shot by a guard. I don't believe Mrs. Jones' command would have been quick enough. That critique might be a bit nitpicky, though. ( )
  danaenicole | Feb 26, 2017 |
They told him his Uncle Ian died in a car accident. But fourteen year old Alex Rider knows that's a lie,and the bullet holes in his uncles windows confirm his suspicions. But nothing prepares him for the news that the uncle he always thought he knew was really a spy for M-16 Britian's top secret intelligence agency. Recruited to find his uncle's killers and complete Ian's final mission. Alex suddenly finds himself caught in a deadly game of cat and mouse, with no way out.
I really liked this book because it had ALOT of suspense. This book kept you moving like you were part of the story. Alex Rider strives to find his Uncle's killers, and stay alive while doing it. I also read a sneak peek of Point Blank which was really good also!
I think the best part that I liked was when Alex was getting recruited to do his Uncle's old job I think that part of the story was the most suspenseful.
There are only a few parts that I did not like.
1: When Alex was explaining something in to depth (which took like 3 pages)
SPOILER:

When I thought Alex was gonna die , and I was like,

christopher.kyle1706 | Dec 8, 2016 |
Although this series may seem rather juvenile to some, it is truly the greatest series I have ever read. This statement may be rather biased, however, seeing as I have read each of these book starting from when I was around ten years old. The reason for my connection with each of these books is that there is never a boring moment. My biggest problem with many novels is that they fail to hold my attention on each and every page. At least most of the books I have read in the past get very dry at certain parts. This book however is the total opposite. There are so many different things happening all at once in each of these books that I am surprised they haven't run out of ideas yet! Like I said before this is my favorite series and although its leans slightly into the younger age group I do think that this is a great read, and if anyone were ever in the mood for a ton of action, this is the series for you. ( )
  juliaarden | Mar 31, 2016 |
Stormbreaker
Realistic, fast paced action mixed with a bit of mystery as Alex Rider discovers just who his uncle was and how his parents died. Well portrayed, cinematic scenes. ( )
1 vote garethmottram | Oct 27, 2015 |
Alex Rider Stormbreaker is about a boy named Alex who became a spy. He saved the world from a rich, bad man who tried to kill thousands of school children. In the end, the bad guy was killed by his own men. I liked this book because it is a big cliff hanger and I like suspenseful books. This book made me care about the characters. I enjoyed this book. I only recommend this book to people who are not scared by violence. ( )
1 vote AidenC4 | Sep 27, 2015 |

Anthony Horowitzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniel, LiamPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evans, GreyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goyat, Annick LeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindforss, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Ewijck, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the doorbell rings at three in the morning, it's never good news.
He had torn the fence out of the ground. Alex ran over to the man and examined him. For a moment he thought it might be Yassen, but it was a younger man, dark haired, ugly. The man was unconscious but still breathing. The flamethrower lay extinguished on the ground beside him. Behind him he heard the other bike, some distance away but closing. Whoever these people were, they had tired to run him down, to cut him in half, and to incinerate him. He had to find a way out before they really got serious. (P. 139-140)

"This book is gripping from the first page. A phenomenal book in many ways. It is a must read book."

After Alex Rider figured out that his uncle, Ian Rider was a spy, he decided to help his dead uncle complete his mission. He had to do hard and nasty trainings just to get ready for the mission. Alex always became curious when he heard someone say something was going to happen. It always made me nervous because I was afraid that maybe he would get caught by one of the members of the Sayle Enterprises. He's always brave to try out all different sorts of things that his uncle left before when he was still alive. The mission he had to complete was to stop the Stormbreakers, which were computers, to get sent out, because there was computer viruses in those computers. Hope that Alex can complete his mission for his uncle and that way he would know why his uncle died!

Ten years ago, Anthony Horowitz introduced the world to Alex Rider . . . and now his debut mission is back in a special fully loaded anniversary edition! Packed with bonus material - including a brand new Alex Rider short story, a letter from Anthony Horowitz, and much more!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:45 -0400)

After the death of the uncle who had been his guardian, fourteen-year-old Alex Rider is coerced to continue his uncle's dangerous work for Britain's intelligence agency, MI6.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,895,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible