Stormbreaker (Alex Rider) by Anthony…

Stormbreaker (Alex Rider) (edition 2006)

by Anthony Horowitz

3,558None1,480 (3.9)61
Member:mtome
Title:Stormbreaker (Alex Rider)
Authors:Anthony Horowitz
Info:Puffin (2006), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:****1/2

Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz

action (111) action/adventure (25) adventure (268) Alex Rider (126) Anthony Horowitz (20) book club (14) boys (21) children (14) children's (34) children's fiction (15) computers (26) England (54) espionage (58) fantasy (18) fiction (199) MI6 (20) mystery (85) orphans (27) paperback (14) read (21) science fiction (34) series (77) spy (243) suspense (42) teen (36) terrorism (35) thriller (54) YA (75) young adult (111) young adult fiction (22)

Great read for an early independent reader. Font big, 17 short, suspenseful chapters that i felt were well written although at unbelievable. But i could think back to Macgyver & Maxwell Smart and who would've thought that we would do most of our shopping from the comfort of our homes so the gadgets and plots could really happen. Fourteen year old Alex Rider is forced into becoming a spy after his uncle Ian Rider is murdered as he is just about to expose a plot to kill school children. I liked how the plot evolved and developed with the extra interesting bits added e.g gadgets, Portuguese Man of war jellyfish. I will go on to read other Alex Rider stories. ( )
  rata | Mar 3, 2014 |
A fast-paced, action packed ride that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Thrilling. ( )
  Librabookworm | Feb 15, 2014 |
I've been meaning to read a book from this series since my son loved it and I've blindly recommended to other boys. I was a little disappointed with the plot. I love fantasy but this seemed so unrealistic... I guess that's to be expected from many teen adventure books, but for some reason I was disappointed. I expected more from Horowitz... ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 12, 2014 |
The crack fills the silence, and the smoke follows in pursuit towards the boy standing in the empty hallway. The boys name is Alex Rider. He’s a secret agent and a man named Yaseen just shot at his head. No one here is going to help him find the truth. So much is filling his mind, but he ignores them and slides across the ground as the bullet whizzes over his head. He picks himself up and runs to the door, he dives for the bushes just in time as five guards rush in pursuit.
Alex Rider is a 14 year old boy living a normal life until his uncle was killed in a car accident. Alex thought that his uncle's death seemed suspicious because he was only a bank manager. One day Alex found the tow company that had took his uncle’s car away. He followed the tow truck back to the tow yard. Thats when he saw it, the spray of bullets through the front wind shield. His uncle certainly wasn't a banker. Alex went to the bank his uncle worked for looking for answers and on his uncle’s desk he found a file named stormbreaker. Alex was looking so intently that he didn't notice the man at the door. The man, Alex’s uncle’s boss, explained that his uncle wasn't a banker he was a secret agent. He also explained that a man named Sayel was suspicious, the reason was his generous donation of super expensive computers called stormbreakers. They thought he might have a plan to kill all of England. He explained that Alex was the only one who could stop Sayel. Can Alex save England and find the truth behind his uncle's death?
This book is a great fiction novel and is full of suspense. It is a little bit of a play on James Bond but has unique twists, such as that Alex is forced into being spy, that makes it different. This book has a great action sequence, which is my favorite part about the book, but the plot is really cliche. I liked this book and it was a great thriller but it also had it’s flaws. This book is a great book and has excitement around every turn.
  br14gape | Dec 15, 2013 |
The book storm breaker is a very good book its all about this kid named Alex rider so alex gets a knock at the door saying that his uncle had died in a car crash but alex had a feeling that it wasn't true.
  br14kiru | Dec 13, 2013 |

Anthony Horowitzprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, LiamPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evans, GreyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goyat, Annick LeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindforss, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, NathanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Ewijck, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the doorbell rings at three in the morning, it's never good news.
He had torn the fence out of the ground. Alex ran over to the man and examined him. For a moment he thought it might be Yassen, but it was a younger man, dark haired, ugly. The man was unconscious but still breathing. The flamethrower lay extinguished on the ground beside him. Behind him he heard the other bike, some distance away but closing. Whoever these people were, they had tired to run him down, to cut him in half, and to incinerate him. He had to find a way out before they really got serious. (P. 139-140)

"This book is gripping from the first page. A phenomenal book in many ways. It is a must read book."

After Alex Rider figured out that his uncle, Ian Rider was a spy, he decided to help his dead uncle complete his mission. He had to do hard and nasty trainings just to get ready for the mission. Alex always became curious when he heard someone say something was going to happen. It always made me nervous because I was afraid that maybe he would get caught by one of the members of the Sayle Enterprises. He's always brave to try out all different sorts of things that his uncle left before when he was still alive. The mission he had to complete was to stop the Stormbreakers, which were computers, to get sent out, because there was computer viruses in those computers. Hope that Alex can complete his mission for his uncle and that way he would know why his uncle died!

Ten years ago, Anthony Horowitz introduced the world to Alex Rider . . . and now his debut mission is back in a special fully loaded anniversary edition! Packed with bonus material - including a brand new Alex Rider short story, a letter from Anthony Horowitz, and much more!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:53 -0400)

After the death of the uncle who had been his guardian, fourteen-year-old Alex Rider is coerced to continue his uncle's dangerous work for Britain's intelligence agency, MI6.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,484,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible