Beverly of Graustark by George Barr…

Beverly of Graustark (1904)

by George Barr McCutcheon

Series: Graustark series (2)

George Barr McCutcheon’s second novel in his Graustark series features some of the same characters from Book One, however, the original main characters take a step back to allow a few new faces to take centre stage.

Beverly is a young American woman who gets to know Yetive, the Princess of Graustark, through her highness’s American consort. Events transpire than Beverly and her servant travel to Graustark to meet the royal couple. The Americans end up stranded only to be helped out by a band of vagabonds, whose leader – Baldos, the hero of the story – proves himself to be a real charmer.

The opening quarter of the novel appealed to me the most, during which time Beverly, Baldos, and the gang are wandering about in the wilderness. Once they reach Graustark the story becomes patchy.

With Beverly, George Barr McCutcheon has created one of his best female characters. She’s witty, confident, and beautiful – what more could a man want? Yet this great character alone isn’t enough to raise the book to greater heights.

That said, ‘Beverly of Graustark’ is well worth checking out. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Aug 19, 2014 |
I'm not really sure what to make of this one. There was alot of the rip-roaring adventure tale that I was looking for but the last few chapters just seemed to become a hopeless tangle and Marlanx was really not much more than a cardboard villian. As there are no more Graustark novels on LibriVox and I need to read actual books, I think I will leave this series for a bit.
  amyem58 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Overall, I like the Graustark series, one of the two series (the other being Anthony Hope's Ruritania novels) which became the eponyms of the Graustarkian or Ruritanian novel involving romantic adventure in small imaginary European monarchies in the late 19th century. I bought this as part iof an attempt (incomplete so far) to fill in my holdings of the Graustark series.This is not my favorite because the heroine is a daughter of passionate Confederates with a feeble comic black "mammy" servant. Some fictional mammies are wise understanding counselors, but this one is just a silly stereotype. The heroine finds herself in Graustark which is now ruled by a beautiful young princess with an American husband (courtesy of the first book, Graustark0 and for a while she is mistaken for the princess and rather awkwardly plays along with it (particularly awkwardly as she does not known the language; the princess is fluent in English but naturally also in her own language.) Beverly gets involved with an exiled prince from a neighboring nation. ( )
  antiquary | Jun 21, 2014 |
I must admit up front that this book is embarrassingly racist, though no more so than one would expect for its time. But the writer can't even make up his mind about white people. Half of him is full of the greatness of the interbred American stock, energized by euro-miscegenation and freedom and entrepreneurship; the other half of him admires and longs for the patrician possessiveness of old monarchical families and their natural dominance over the rest of humankind. But of course that also gives rise to the icky and threating Count von Marlanx who hovers menacingly over Beverly. Half the fun of the book is observing, a century later, the struggles of the writer in spinning an otherwise highly satisfactory romance. ( )
  SarahEHWilson | Dec 5, 2009 |

George Barr McCutcheonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fisher, HarrisonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Far off in the mountain lands, somewhere to the east of the setting sun, lies the principality of Graustark, serene relic of rare old feudal days.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,746,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible