Truce: The Day the Soldiers Stopped Fighting…

Truce: The Day the Soldiers Stopped Fighting

by Jim Murphy

Describes the Christmas truce that occurred along Western Front trenches in 1914 and features quotations from young men on both sides, a timeline, and additional source material.

An excellent companion to the 2005 French film, Joyeux Noël. This is a must read for anyone who knows little to nothing about World War One or knows a great deal about this war in our history. In other words everyone should read it! It is a travesty we are not taught more about the 'war to end all wars'. We need to hear more stories like this one that humanize the components of warfare beyond a "good guy" and a "bad guy".

Jim Murphy does a tremendous service for readers with not only focusing on the Christmas Truce (soldiers ignored the commands of their officers to enjoy a holiday truce with the opposing side), but also detailing precursors to the war and leading into it.
  wunderlong88 | Sep 1, 2018 |
The story of how soldiers in World War I ignored the commands of their officers to enjoy a holiday truce with the opposing side on Christmas 1914. ( )
  lilibrarian | Apr 26, 2018 |
Read for assignment
  mikeswanson | May 10, 2017 |

Jim Murphy does a tremendous service for readers with not only focusing on the Christmas Truce, but also detailing precursors to the war and leading into it.
  books_ofa_feather | Dec 18, 2016 |
On July 29, 1914, the world's peace was shattered as the artillery of Austria-Hungary began shelling the troops of the country to its south, Serbia.
As the twentieth century began, much of Europe was restless and fearful. For over forty years, countries had eyed one another suspiciously and prepared for a fight.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,376,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible