The Merchant of Death (Pendragon Series #1)…

The Merchant of Death (Pendragon Series #1) (edition 2002)

by D. J. MacHale

Title:The Merchant of Death (Pendragon Series #1)
Authors:D. J. MacHale
Info:Aladdin (2002), Edition: 1 Aladdin, Paperback

The Merchant of Death by D. J. MacHale

English (58)  German (1)  All languages (59)
Bobby is an 8th grader who didn't know that his whole life he was destined to be a traveler. His destiny kicks into gear when his uncle whisks him off to a dangerous world accessed through a flume like portal. On this strange medieval like planet, Bobby is thrown into a conflict of master over slave, and he must look inside himself to find the strengths he has to help end the conflict. If he fails, a larger conflict could erupt that threatens the survival of every being on the planet. Bobby is a reluctant participant in this struggle and wishes at every turn to be relinquished of this responsibility so he can return to his friends and family on earth. In the end Bobby realizes, with the help of his fellow traveler, Loor, that it doesn't take physical strength to be a hero. Younger teens will like the story, but it lacks the depth needed to interest older readers. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
When I was itty bitty little Mel, just a wee 10 years old, I got a boxed set of book 1, 2 and 3 of this series for Christmas. This was about the same time that all my friends were getting Harry Potter for Christmas. I devoured these books and it became a yearly tradition that I would get the newest book for Valentines Day every year from my mom. I would wake up, get ready REALLY fast, and go downstairs to see the newest book on the kitchen table. So while everyone was growing up in the world of Harry Potter, and don't get me wrong I did read those, I grew up in the world of the Flume's.
It has been a long time since I've read these books (honestly I have read this about 8 times, but not in a while) but I love it so much.
I'll do a huge character plot review when I finish rereading this, but I remember it so vividly that I want everyone I love to read this book. ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
the writing is a bit hamfisted at times with some cartoonish characters and a formulaic, two-dimensional plot. MacHale also seems to have written this story without doing much research into things like warfare and mining and even class divisions and tyranny. it was a all very simplistically laid out without much depth.

however, it isn't a completely bad read especially for 9-year old boys like my son. i think that kids much older than that might roll their eyes like i did at certain parts but for the younger set, it is something that they can enjoy.

i won't be reading any more out loud to my son like i did this one but i will continue to support him in reading this series. maybe the writing will get better as the series goes on? who knows. ( )
  keebrook | Mar 10, 2015 |
Don't get me wrong - it's a good book, but I just COULD NOT get into it. I have a feeling I would have inhaled this series had I discovered it in high school, but right now the book actually made me procrastinate in my reading. I suppose my only real gripe is the characters. They lacked authentic characterization and seemed to act merely as vessels for the action and plot, rather than being equal to and holding up the book as much as the action and plot (I'm using action and plot to refer to the fighting/intrigue and actual story progression respectively - I know some people use action and plot interchangeably). ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 21, 2015 |
Originally posted at FanLit.

Bobby Pendragon is a normal middle-school kid and life is good. He??s the most valuable player on the basketball team and heƒ??s just found out that Courtney, the girl heƒ??s had a crush on for years, has a crush on him, too! Life could not be better... until Uncle Press arrives while Bobby is kissing Courtney and drags Bobby away to a medieval world where some oppressed people need Bobbyƒ??s help. For Bobby has special powers and: A Destiny! When Bobby disappears, Courtney and Mark, Bobbyƒ??s best friend, get worried and start investigating. They canƒ??t find Bobby, but they do receive a letter from him which details all thatƒ??s happening to Bobby in Denduron.

The Merchant of Death is the first novel in D.J. MacHaleƒ??s young adult PENDRAGON series. Itƒ??s fast-paced and exciting, it has a likable teenage boy for a hero, there are monsters and explosions, and thereƒ??s even a little bit of cussing and kissing. Perfect for a 14 year old boy.

You canƒ??t help but like Bobby. Heƒ??s the athletic good-looking kid who everyone likes. He loves his family and his dog, and heƒ??s noble enough to have an unpopular geek for a best friend. Mark is also a great character, and we get to see him mature a little over the course of the novel. Likewise, beautiful and popular Courtney is smart and competent. The three kids make great protagonists, though theyƒ??re a little shallow at this point in the PENDRAGON series. I hope that will get better.

The plot of The Merchant of Death, even though itƒ??s exciting, isnƒ??t anything new. It also wonƒ??t hold up to the scrutiny of adults and teens who donƒ??t want to work too hard to maintain their suspension of disbelief. The villains are preposterous caricatures, Bobby and his friends accept bizarre occurrences too readily, Bobby solves problems too quickly and easily, everything he needs is conveniently at hand, and even his special powers are amazingly opportune. Furthermore, itƒ??s hard to believe that Bobbyƒ??s uncle has never mentioned Bobbyƒ??s special skills or connection to other worlds before he whisks Bobby off to save the day, and itƒ??s also hard to believe that Mark and Courtney donƒ??t solicit help from adults. Iƒ??m also not sure why MacHale chose to have Bobby narrate most of the plot in the form of letters to Mark and Courtney ƒ?? I had a hard time believing that Bobby is sitting down recording his adventure in this way, especially since heƒ??s far more verbose than any teenage boy Iƒ??ve ever encountered.

But Iƒ??m not a 14 year old boy and I expect that many teenagers will be completely entertained by The Merchant of Death. Itƒ??s well-written and fun, and a promising start to a long series. One of my boys read and enjoyed PENDRAGON a few years ago (I remember fetching all the books for him at the library), so I can confidently recommend the series to teenagers.

I listened to William Dufris narrate Brilliance Audioƒ??s version. Heƒ??s really good! ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

D. J. MacHaleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dufris, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743437314, Paperback)

In Pendragon: The Merchant of Death, D.J. MacHale, the creator of several popular television series and Afterschool Specials, transplants the Pendragon name from Arthurian legend to modern-day junior high school. Fourteen- year-old Bobby Pendragon has it all; he's smart, popular, and a star basketball player in quiet Stony Brook, Connecticut. But a visit from Uncle Press soon topples all of that as Bobby learns that he is a Traveler, someone who can ride "flumes" through time and space. Bobby lands in Denduron, a medieval world where the gentle Milago are enslaved by the Bedoowan, and it's Bobby's job to free them. He reluctantly teams up with Loor--a girl his age from the warrior-territory of Zadaa--and other Travelers, recounting his adventures in journals that are magically transported back to his friends Mark and Courtney in Stony Brook. These first-person journals at times feel contrived--they're riddled with terms like "coolio" and "bizarro" and gnarly descriptions of vile sights and smells--but the book's thumping story soon scrubs away all such concern. The Merchant of Death keeps the pages flipping with steady action and near-constant mortal peril for its heroes, promising that both this and future volumes in the Pendragon series should be eagerly devoured. (Ages 10 and older) --D.J. Morel

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

Bobby Pendragon is a seemingly normal and somewhat reluctant 14- year-old boy who is swept into an amazing five-year quest.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,858,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible