Princess in Training by Meg Cabot

Princess in Training

by Meg Cabot

Review to follow.... ( )
  suefitz1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
One of the things I mentioned in the All-American Girl reviews is that Mia is a very immature character compared to other Meg Cabot heroines, and it shows in this book. It also doesn’t help that the major subplot is lifted from Ready or Not, although Mia’s approach to the sex question is vastly different from Sam’s. The one thing I did like about this is that you see Mia’s confidence growing, with the main plot of her being thrust into the student council president race. She actually does speak up on issues, without Lilly or other friends pushing her to do so. It’s a direction I really hoped would show up in later volumes (which I’ll get to when I get to them). The subplot with Michael and the question of whether or not that they should “do it,” on the other hand, really illustrates her immaturity. Mia continuously freaks out at any mention of committing the “act,” but without sitting down and talking it through with her boyfriend. I am also not a fan of the subplot with Ms. Martinez—while I can sort of see and understand Mia’s reaction of “OMG HOW DARE SHE NOT THINK MY WRITING IS BRILLIANT!!”, I’m not a fan of the obvious offense of “Pop culture references aren’t high literature.” (Which becomes more egregious once you learn that it was meant to be a take that at some of Meg Cabot’s critics.) There’s a lot of wasted potential in the book, particularly in making Mia grow as a character, and it really shows in the writing. ( )
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |
Mia seems to be growing up significantly. She isn't as shallow and self-obsessed as she's been in previous chapters, though she still blows everything way out of proportion and harps on the tiniest things. Grandmere, as always, is still my favorite character, though I'm developing a deeper respect for Tina. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 17, 2013 |
2011-10-04
  Petit-Enghien | Oct 6, 2011 |
Series require PG Rating ( )
  Denaid | Dec 28, 2009 |

Princess for president!

Student body president, that is -- nominated by her power-mad best friend, Lilly. This is not how Mia imagined kicking off her sophomore year, but as usual, she has bigger problems to worry about, like Geometry. And now that Mia's one true love, Michael, is uptown at college, what's the point of even getting up for school in the morning? But the last straw is what Lana whispers to her on the lunch line about what college boys expect of their girlfriends. . . . Really, it's almost more than a princess in training can bear!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:28 -0400)

High school sophomore Princess Mia records in her diary her struggles with geometry, the expectations of being a college student's girlfriend, running for president of the student council, and a potential ecological disaster in her native land, Genovia.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible