The Sphere of Secrets: Book Two of The…

The Sphere of Secrets: Book Two of The Oracle Prophecies (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Catherine Fisher (Author)

Member:EnriqueFreeque
Title:The Sphere of Secrets: Book Two of The Oracle Prophecies
Authors:Catherine Fisher (Author)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2005), Edition: First American Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library (inactive), SF, Kids
Tags:cool cover

The Archon by Catherine Fisher (2004)

Recently added byKitamura, private library, Kim.F, nautilus13, lizziewrites, AbigailAdams26, Ennys, tvcs
    The Blue Hawk by Peter Dickinson (Sakerfalcon)
    Sakerfalcon: Both books deal with corruptly-led religions in a desert setting, and follow the trials of a young protagonist who attempts to set things right. Excellent worldbuilding from both authors.

English (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (3)
The Sphere of Secrets is book 2 in "The Oracle Prophecies" and I'm happy to say that it's a solid follow up by this talented author. To be honest I was not overwhelmed by Book 1, however I've read enough series that I know that sometimes there's a little fumbling that can place with a first book. (I thought that was true with the first Percy Jackson book, so that should tell you how picky I am.)

Most often it has to do with the plot dragging and the characters not being as lively as they should be. But if the basic writing is good, it often pays to check up following volumes as frequently an author will find their footing and then be able to dazzle you. That certainly occurred here.

In The Sphere of Secrets the story galloped along, there was more straightforward adventure, and the plot was more convoluted. In addition, I thought the characters were allowed more leeway to act like themselves. In the case of the scribe, , we got to see how his family was a great part of his motivation. Equally, we got to see the two sides of The Jackal.

As there is yet another book in the series, not all of the conflicts were resolved in the end. But it was a satisfying read and a I enjoyed the book a great deal.

Talking Points:::
In my opinion, The Sphere of Secrets was a strong follow-up to The Oracle Betrayed. Rather than moving in the small environment of the Island the nearby 'Land', the characters are allowed a wider stage to range across. And forces from the kingdoms outside of the Oracle's precinct come into play as the General makes his power play.

Recommend this series to adults who like YA, Young Adults and even MG (middle-schoolers) who like vivid world building. Book 1 is a bit slow to develop, but Book 2 has a lot of adventure. Book 3 is okay but a little longer than I would have wished.

Pam T~
mom and reviewer, BooksForKids-reviews ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Dec 15, 2009 |
Sequel to Oracle Betrayed. Not much has changed since Alexos was chosen as Archon. Hermia and General Argelin are still plotting - this time to make Argelin King. The God has decided to resurrect old traditions and go on a mystical quest for the Well of Songs. Can Oblek, Seth, Alexos, the Jackal and the Fox survive the brutal desert trek to the Well of Songs? Can Mirany survive the plotting of Hermia and Rhetia? The first book was so original and so intriguing, I thought a sequel would not fit. But Fisher pulled it off, investing more of the same originality and intrigue in her second book as well. ( )
  chibimajo | Jan 19, 2009 |
So the rumours were true.
Published as 'The Archon' in the UK and as 'The Sphere of Secrets' in the US.

Breathtaking sequel to The Oracle, the Archon must face a journey of treachery and adventure across the pitiless desert in a bid to save his people ...The Archon vows to lead a pilgrimage to the Well of Songs to seek peace with the Rain Queen and save the land from the terrible drought. The Well is hidden in the mountains across the desert. But he is not the only one with his sight set on the mountains: Argelin, the tyrannical and power-hungry General, follows behind, an ever-present threat, with his heart set on the riches to be found. With only Oblek, Seth and two tomb-thieves known as the Jackal and the Fox for company, the Archon's journey is treacherous and dangerous. They must face the Great Desolation and the monstrous animals outlined on the desert floor, animals with mythical powers, and they must survive without Mirany, bearer-of-the-god and true friend of the Archon, who has had to remain behind to face a threat much closer to home ...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:36 -0400)

Together with Alexos, Seth, Oblek, and a fallen silver star, Mirany is forced to continue the battle against the evil general Argelin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,113,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible