Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Monster Nation by David Wellington

Monster Nation (2004)

by David Wellington

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (goodiegoodie)
    Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry (gemininski)
    gemininski: A fast-paced zombie horror novel with plenty of kicks and killer characters. This one's a keeper!

Kind of lame… the first one was good till this dude tried to put on all the “spiritual” crap… then this one did the same thing… it started so good! And then bang! The whole spiritual crap! I want my zombie books to be crazy zombie mayhem from beginning to end! This one only has it at the beginning! So a 3! ( )
  Alfonso809 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Awesome series on the dead rising all over the world !! Highly recommended ! ( )
  Robineliza | Dec 23, 2011 |
I was excited to start this book, but I was very let down shortly into the book. The book was all over the place. Characters would randomly be in different places with no explanation on how they got there, one minute you were reading about a character being at a prison in Colorado, next minute was outside a hospital in CA. Geographically confusing.
Main characters I did not care about, pretty much just 3 major characters in the book. 1 was semi interesting, the other two bland and boring. ( )
  DChurch71 | Dec 26, 2010 |
Even though this was written second in the series, I chose to read this one first because I knew it was a prequel. I really enjoyed this book. It was my favorite in the entire series, mostly because Nilla was my favorite character. She is awesome. I kinda found myself wishing she was a good guy all the way through but I still loved her. Got just a little confused as to what the source was and why it was causing so much havoc. Oh, and definitely could do without the druid guy...I didn't care for that part of the story in any of the three books.

Overall a very entertaining read. ( )
  aleahsmom | Nov 2, 2010 |
First off, I didn't realize when I began reading MONSTER NATION that it's the second in a trilogy. I'll now have to go back and read MONSTER ISLAND, just because I do want to read the entire story, but MONSTER NATION can and does stand on its own.

The story is basic enough: zombies are taking over the US; the career military person in charge, Bannerman Clark, wastes a lot of time refusing to believe these creatures are actually dead; there are a couple of more-intelligent-than-normal zombies trudging their way through the craziness.

That's the storyline in a nutshell. The problem, for me, didn't come until the end of the book, when what had been building up to a gigantic climax through 250+ pages was resolved (or, actually, NOT resolved at all) in a page and a half.

Don't ge me wrong. This book is entertaining, gross, and a verifiable zombie-lover's delight. It made we want to go back and read the first book in the series. But it's ending definitely leaves you hanging and frustrated. For those who love zombie stories, you'll appreciate the new and different approach to the genre. For those who hate abrupt endings, you'll throw the book against the wall. When all is said and done, though, reading MONSTER NATION was time well spent. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 14, 2009 |
"My brother was already dead!"

She woke up one morning unable to remember anything—not even her name. Her search for answers won’t be easy, especially since the world just ended. In this prequel to Monster Island, learn how the zombie epidemic began.

In the heart of America, in the world's most secure prison, something horrible is growing in the dark. A wave of cannibalism and fear is sweeping across the heartland, spreading carnage and infection in its wake.

1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible