Fire (A Companion to Graceling) by Kristin…

Fire (A Companion to Graceling) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kristin Cashore

Title:Fire (A Companion to Graceling)
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Info:Firebird (2011), Paperback, 480 pages

Fire by Kristin Cashore (2009)

Recently added byDeborahJ2016, kelseylough, effulgent7, Vecna, aelowski, Nillan, bebonee, private library, Ciaokinga
    Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (Anonymous user)
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (flemmily)
    flemmily: I would recommend any of Tamora Pierce's books, but Alanna is a great place to start. They're a little more middle-agey than Cashore's works.
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (OmaRoses)
    Wild Magic (Immortals) by Tamora Pierce (jm501)
    Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken (OmaRoses)
    Love Devours: Tales of Monstrous Adoration by S.E. Diemer (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: More monster girls.
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (SunnySD)
    To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts (SunnySD)

English (241)  German (1)  All languages (242)
No words I write will do this book enough justice. Cashore has a way of creating stories that suck you in and leave you breathless at times... Epic fantasies that bring suspense, intrigue, and swoon worthy romance. I didn't think it was possible to love a book more than Graceling, but this one topped it! The feels were gut wrenching and heart warming. It was a world full of vivid color and subtle darkness.

Fire is a monster in the most beautiful way. All eyes are drawn to her and while that may flatter many, Fire deflects attention at all cause. She refuses to use her powers unless it's self defense and will cover her monster appearance whenever out in public. The monsters are drawn to her and danger surrounds her. She never expects to be summoned by the King, but when she is, her world is turned upside down. She starts to become comfortable in her own skin and learns that she can use her power as not only a weapon, but also a helpful tool. It is there at King's City that she finds what she didn't know she was looking for... Love.

This book was unlike anything I've ever read. It was creative and unique, with a storyline that swept me off my feet. When the book was open, reality was dimmed. It was truly all consuming. I found myself unable to put it down. I was wrapped up in the love triangle (quadrangle?) and couldn't wait to see what would happen in the end.

Now with all that gushing out of the way I will say this... Some of the material is sensitive. There are hints of rape and scenes of physical abuse. This is all needed though to create the book's world so please give it a chance. I know you won't be able to stop once you start. It's fantastic! A MUST READ! ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
I love these books! That said, I would certainly recommend reading Fire before reading Graceling. It is set earlier chronologically and provides some necessary world building, as well as introducing some background for a character essential to the story in Graceling and Bitterblue. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author has developed from the Graceling and the result is altogether smoother and more accomplished. I was wary of the plot - prequels are dodgy sometimes as the authors try and milk their investment in world-building - this was not a problem. Not a complex book but a good light fantasy read. ( )
  PeterWhitfield | May 19, 2016 |
Kristin Cashore is a wonderful writter who pays much attention to characters and gives them depth. The character Fire was beautifully made, and her life choices incredibly hard, had i been in her shoes i might not have courage for some of them. But that is what life is about, taking risks and making life changing decisions, and hopefully find out you made the right ones all along. ( )
  LadyJoana | Apr 9, 2016 |
Originally I thought this was a sequel, but when I realized none of the characters (save one) were the same, I realized what companion novels truly are. This novel takes place before Graceling (as evidenced by the one character who appears in both) but in a different part of the realm that Cashore has created.

I enjoyed this novel and Fire is an interesting character, though not as kick-ass awesome as Katsa. Of the two I prefer Graceling, but this one certainly has its merits and is well worth the read.

jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
Cashore is that rare gifted writer who can give a fantasy novel real depth.

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elbrick, XantheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dellian Lament:

"While I was looking the other way your fire went out

Left me with cinders to kick into dust

What a waste of the wonder you were

In my living fire I will keep your scorn and mine

In my living fire I will keep your heartache and mine

At the disgrace of a waste of a life"
For my little sister Catherine, the (Corinthian) pillar of my heart
Larch often thought that if it had not been for his newborn son, he never would have survived his wife Mikra's death.

Beautiful monster
More feared than loved even by self
Meet your destiny

In a kingdom called the Dells, Fire is the last human-shaped monster, with unimaginable beauty and the ability to control the minds of those around her, but even with these gifts she cannot escape the strife that overcomes her world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,818,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible