Fire (A Companion to Graceling) by Kristin…

Fire (A Companion to Graceling) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kristin Cashore

Member:EvahLynn
Title:Fire (A Companion to Graceling)
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Info:Firebird (2011), Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****

Fire by Kristin Cashore (2009)

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (Anonymous user)
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (flemmily)
    flemmily: I would recommend any of Tamora Pierce's books, but Alanna is a great place to start. They're a little more middle-agey than Cashore's works.
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (OmaRoses)
    Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce (jm501)
    Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken (OmaRoses)
    Love Devours: Tales of Monstrous Adoration by Sarah Diemer (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: More monster girls.
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (SunnySD)
    To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts (SunnySD)

English (224)  German (1)  All languages (225)
A commendable beginning with a semi-interesting boy who can control minds, but because this is "YA by Older Woman" the protagonist MUST be female otherwise it won't adhere to the pathetic modern day notion of what feminism is. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Her first book was spectacular. This one not so much. I think it's because her main character wasn't as strong of a heroine as her first one. And people were expecting that since she really nailed it in her first book. That doesn't mean this book was horrible, just that it wasn't as good as the first, but still a good read overall.
Fire kind of bugged me at times. For example, she states that she doesn't want children, but then something happens further into the book, and then she does wish to have one. But then soon after that she decides to take something that will not allow her to have children at all. She just confuses me in moments like this because she just changes her mind so dramatically and makes rather hasty decisions without completely thinking it through.
The writing got to me a bit too. I understand going back and forth from the present to a memory, but sometimes I just didn't know which I was reading until I got to the end of the passage. And then I would have to go back and reread the passage to completely understand. It just didn't seem to flow too well in instances like these.
Overall, the story line was good. The world that she created was colorful and unique. It just lost the flow at times. But worth a read. ( )
  JosP | Jan 26, 2015 |
This was good. This was really, really good. I enjoyed Graceling but this? This was near perfection for me. Good, strong, believable characters, the perfect amount of romance (I like some, but not for it to be the entire plot), intriguing, believable world...this is young adult fantasy at its best. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
I actually started and stopped reading this book several times before finally finishing it. Although the writing was atmospheric and enjoyable, I found Fire and her world somewhat difficult, or perhaps "challenging", to spend time with. I don't mean to imply that this was a flaw in the book-- only that it was the sort of book I needed to be in the right state of mind to enjoy, because of the degree of pain and sadness. But on the other hand, even when I stopped and set it aside the characters did stay on my mind and I had to eventually return to learn what happened to them. In the end I had to return, and I was rewarded with a satisfying conclusion, memorable characters, and an ultimately uplifting experience. I am glad I did not give up on this one!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
The story starts out slow, but ends up being almost as good as the first book in the series, Graceling. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Cashore is that rare gifted writer who can give a fantasy novel real depth.

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elbrick, XantheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dellian Lament:

"While I was looking the other way your fire went out

Left me with cinders to kick into dust

What a waste of the wonder you were

In my living fire I will keep your scorn and mine

In my living fire I will keep your heartache and mine

At the disgrace of a waste of a life"
For my little sister Catherine, the (Corinthian) pillar of my heart
Larch often thought that if it had not been for his newborn son, he never would have survived his wife Mikra's death.

Beautiful monster
More feared than loved even by self
Meet your destiny
(Kerian)

In a kingdom called the Dells, Fire is the last human-shaped monster, with unimaginable beauty and the ability to control the minds of those around her, but even with these gifts she cannot escape the strife that overcomes her world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,882,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible