Fire (A Companion to Graceling) by Kristin…

Fire (A Companion to Graceling) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kristin Cashore

Member:EvahLynn
Title:Fire (A Companion to Graceling)
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Info:Firebird (2011), Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****

Fire by Kristin Cashore (2009)

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (Anonymous user)
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (flemmily)
    flemmily: I would recommend any of Tamora Pierce's books, but Alanna is a great place to start. They're a little more middle-agey than Cashore's works.
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (OmaRoses)
    Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce (jm501)
    Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken (OmaRoses)
    Love Devours: Tales of Monstrous Adoration by S.E. Diemer (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: More monster girls.
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (SunnySD)
    To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts (SunnySD)

English (239)  German (1)  All languages (240)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author has developed from the Graceling and the result is altogether smoother and more accomplished. I was wary of the plot - prequels are dodgy sometimes as the authors try and milk their investment in world-building - this was not a problem. Not a complex book but a good light fantasy read. ( )
  PeterWhitfield | May 19, 2016 |
Kristin Cashore is a wonderful writter who pays much attention to characters and gives them depth. The character Fire was beautifully made, and her life choices incredibly hard, had i been in her shoes i might not have courage for some of them. But that is what life is about, taking risks and making life changing decisions, and hopefully find out you made the right ones all along. ( )
  LadyJoana | Apr 9, 2016 |
Originally I thought this was a sequel, but when I realized none of the characters (save one) were the same, I realized what companion novels truly are. This novel takes place before Graceling (as evidenced by the one character who appears in both) but in a different part of the realm that Cashore has created.

I enjoyed this novel and Fire is an interesting character, though not as kick-ass awesome as Katsa. Of the two I prefer Graceling, but this one certainly has its merits and is well worth the read.

jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
My thoughts:

This is not a series that needs to be read in order, since this book takes place before book 1 Graceling. And this one takes place in Dell, and they do not even know about the seven kingdoms. But there is a young boy here, a graceling, with a terrible power and he was later in Graceling.

I really enjoyed this book. Which is funny because I did not like Graceling, which was too YA (yes I know but for me it was too much, too simple and too sweet.) While Fire was the opposite. And it did not feel YA either, it walked that line in between. The language was more YA, but the rest not.

And it had such a great heroine, Fire was broken, yet strong, and she did not want to bend people to her will. She would rather be shot (and was) than to stop someone with her mind. And her power was terrible. Some loved the sight of her and wanted to touch her, while other men saw her, knew they could not have her and wanted to kill her.

The kingdom of Dell was also well-written. There were animals, and then monsters, people would stop in awe and get eaten. They were as terrible and beautiful as Fire.

The book had some wonderful characters, Archer who slept around a lot, Brigan, the prince who leads the armies and who does not trust her. King Nash who wants her the minute he sees her, and more.

There was also this tone in the book, like I was there but at the same time not. Like I was hearing a story about the beautiful monster who wanted none of the powers she had.

Recommendation and final thoughts:

Do read this one, great fantasy, nice world, and a remarkable woman. The book also shows what beauty can do, and it is not always pretty. A rich world, strange magic, a hint of romance and the struggle for a kingdom.

Reason for reading:

I wanted to give her another go and I am so glad I did.

Cover:

Stunning! ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Fire is the only child of the monster who once controlled a kingdom. She is a monster as well, with beauty so incredible that it can lure and entangle minds that see her. Fire struggles with her own powers, her womanhood, and her distrust of her own appearance while trying to save the kingdom her father once ruled.

Cashore is good at complicated inner lives and relationships, and the way she writes action scenes is enthralling. Still, I liked this book, but didn't love it the way I did [b:Graceling|3236307|Graceling|Kristin Cashore|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513bTCMZZWL._SL75_.jpg|3270810]. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Cashore is that rare gifted writer who can give a fantasy novel real depth.

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elbrick, XantheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dellian Lament:

"While I was looking the other way your fire went out

Left me with cinders to kick into dust

What a waste of the wonder you were

In my living fire I will keep your scorn and mine

In my living fire I will keep your heartache and mine

At the disgrace of a waste of a life"
For my little sister Catherine, the (Corinthian) pillar of my heart
Larch often thought that if it had not been for his newborn son, he never would have survived his wife Mikra's death.

Beautiful monster
More feared than loved even by self
Meet your destiny
(Kerian)

In a kingdom called the Dells, Fire is the last human-shaped monster, with unimaginable beauty and the ability to control the minds of those around her, but even with these gifts she cannot escape the strife that overcomes her world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,350,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible