Fire (A Companion to Graceling) by Kristin…

Fire (A Companion to Graceling) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kristin Cashore

Member:EvahLynn
Title:Fire (A Companion to Graceling)
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Info:Firebird (2011), Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****

Fire by Kristin Cashore (2009)

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (Anonymous user)
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (flemmily)
    flemmily: I would recommend any of Tamora Pierce's books, but Alanna is a great place to start. They're a little more middle-agey than Cashore's works.
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (OmaRoses)
    Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce (jm501)
    Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken (OmaRoses)
    Love Devours: Tales of Monstrous Adoration by Sarah Diemer (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: More monster girls.
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (SunnySD)
    To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts (SunnySD)

English (237)  German (1)  All languages (238)
I was literally holding my breath during much of this action packed fantasy. This book is even better than her first Graceling, another fantastic book. This heroine(Fire) so magically beautiful everyone that looks upon her desires her in very different ways, some quite ugly She has to fight against impossible odds, run from fantastic beasties, and suffer horrible jealousies. She is seen as a human monster, her gorgeous locks of hair, must always remain covered. She has to power to read minds and even change some. She has suffered so much in her life, the daughter of a horrendous father, who treated her with love. She has to make many hard choices to ease her mind and find her path towards the future.
She is a lonely, untrusted and an outcast. She is called upon to help stop a war that could have been started by her nasty father. She see's a chance to perhaps redeem herself, but will anyone truly trust her. The king and his family struggle with her monster beauty and powers.
Ah and so refreshing is the fact that another heroine did not need to be married, to end her story upon the alter. The women of Ms. Cashore's books are strong and independent and exceptionally inspiring. I read it, my teen daughters read it, we all loved it. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
A bit slow to begin with, but in the end I thoroughly enjoyed this book - even more than "Graceling." A fabulous read! I think I'll buy these two books for myself, and am looking forward to reading the next book in the trilogy. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
I was originally not interested in the premise of Fire, and decided to read it only because I wanted to read Bitterblue. However, it was well-written, as is Cashore's wont. I found myself, overall, unsurprised in what I loved and didn't love.

What I loved about Graceling, and what I love about Cashore, is her beautiful writing: simple, yet poetic. I also love her world-building. I loved the Seven Kingdoms of Graceling, and was impressed to find another world I loved here. She has an amazing way of adding in the right details to make the setting feel real, but not forced. Likewise in how she reveals bits of her characters' various backstories, which make them feel more complex, but not in a contrived way.

What I didn't love so much: some of the pseudo-romance. Again, as in Graceling, I found myself skeptical about Fire's automatic propensity to hate marriage and back away from a guy who wants to commit. I think I get that Cashore is trying to paint the guy (in this case, Archer) as someone who is hypocritical and uncomfortably possessive of the woman he loves. But that's not the picture I got. A lot of times, the picture I got was a man who doesn't want the woman he loves to die, and the woman berating him for that. Not that I actually wanted Fire to marry Archer, of course, because he was also sleeping around with basically everyone. And overall, it just seems that every relationship represented here is unhealthy in some way or another. I get wanting to represent what happens and exists, but, as with Graceling, I felt uncomfortable with a lot of the themes and messages that are getting across.

This book had a lot more sensual overtones than Graceling (read: lots of lust by basically everyone throughout), but the romance itself was less explicit and more understated, which I appreciated. Cashore, while not endlessly graphic with violence, is still more graphic than I am comfortable with, such that there were many undoubtedly well-written descriptions of wounds and the like that I hurried past.

So, I feel like this book isn't really YA--which isn't necessarily a compliment from me, because YA is my favorite. Overall, I'm never satisfied with Cashore's romance or characters, but I do continue to love her writing and world-building. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
Cashore is that rare gifted writer who can give a fantasy novel real depth.

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elbrick, XantheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dellian Lament:

"While I was looking the other way your fire went out

Left me with cinders to kick into dust

What a waste of the wonder you were

In my living fire I will keep your scorn and mine

In my living fire I will keep your heartache and mine

At the disgrace of a waste of a life"
For my little sister Catherine, the (Corinthian) pillar of my heart
Larch often thought that if it had not been for his newborn son, he never would have survived his wife Mikra's death.

Beautiful monster
More feared than loved even by self
Meet your destiny
(Kerian)

In a kingdom called the Dells, Fire is the last human-shaped monster, with unimaginable beauty and the ability to control the minds of those around her, but even with these gifts she cannot escape the strife that overcomes her world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,084,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible