Fire (A Companion to Graceling) by Kristin…

Fire (A Companion to Graceling) (original 2009; edition 2011)

by Kristin Cashore

3,1922291,745 (4.11)352
Title:Fire (A Companion to Graceling)
Authors:Kristin Cashore
Info:Firebird (2011), Paperback, 480 pages

Fire by Kristin Cashore (2009)

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore (Anonymous user)
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (flemmily)
    flemmily: I would recommend any of Tamora Pierce's books, but Alanna is a great place to start. They're a little more middle-agey than Cashore's works.
    Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (OmaRoses)
    Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce (jm501)
    Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken (OmaRoses)
    Love Devours: Tales of Monstrous Adoration by Sarah Diemer (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: More monster girls.
    Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey (SunnySD)
    To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts (SunnySD)

English (228)  German (1)  All languages (229)
@fire +graceling ( )
  Lorem | Oct 2, 2015 |
Wonderful romance and great adventure fantasy. Set in the Dells, a land to the east of the seven kingdoms where Graceling takes place. Fire, 17, is the last human Monster, a person who has the power to control other people's minds. She has to constantly guard against the crazy ways men act at the sight of her--they either fall instantly madly in lust with her or they hate her because she's so beautiful. (There are also plenty of animal monsters in this land, shaped like normal animals but with crazy colors and powers) Fire's peaceful life with her best friend Archer, a handsome young lord who's in love with her, is shattered by events that get her involved in politics between two rival kings and a prince. She leaves her home to help at the royal court; but all is not as it seems. Lots of war scenes, political maneuvering and telepathic manipulation. And oh yes, a crossover with one particularly evil character from Graceling... ( )
  GoldieBug | Sep 19, 2015 |
Brilliant female characters. Love this love story. ( )
  Dandeggan | Jun 26, 2015 |
It becomes clear fairly quickly that the one crossover character from Graceling is King Leck as a child, when his name was Immiker.* Apparently he was evil from the very beginning, creepily, ominously so. After he is introduced, we move into the Dells, where we meet Fire. There are no Gracelings in the Dells, but there are monsters of all shapes and sizes; Fire is a human monster, the only one left since the death of her father, Cansrel. The nature of her monster-ness makes people lose control of themselves around her; it also grants her the power to sense feelings, intentions, and thoughts, and communicate wordlessly. Unlike her father, however, Fire is determined to use her powers only for self-defense.

Her resolve is tested when King Nash's brother Brigan, commander of the army, comes with a summons: Nash wants her to come to King City to help interrogate the spies they've caught. Fire goes, reluctantly, and after weeks of consideration she agrees to help, once Brigan has assured her that he will tell her if he thinks she is going too far.

Thanks to Cansrel and the late King Nax, the kingdom is in trouble, with Lord Mydogg and Lord Gentian cultivating armies of their own. In the midst of this, a mysterious boy appears with the animal trader Cutter: a boy with one gray eye and one red eye, a boy who creates a fog in the minds of those around him.

There is a gala at the palace, assassinations, and war breaks out; Fire, desperate to help, is kidnapped and wakes to find herself on a boat with the boy, Leck, and men under his control. They end up at Cutter's house, where Fire discovers the fate of her old friend and ex-lover Archer. Meanwhile, Fire's guard is searching for her, and the war rages.

Like Katsa in Graceling, Fire is a strong character who values her independence (in other words, a feminist). Her monster-ness is like a Grace, but she is not so strong as Katsa, whose Grace was survival; Fire is as subject as normal humans to injury and exhaustion. Her friendship with Archer and her growing love for Brigan are wholly believable, if not as swoon-worthy as Katsa and Po's relationship.

On to Bitterblue!

*A note on the audio: While Graceling was read by a full cast in American accents, Fire was read by a single female narrator with a British accent. She did a wonderful job but the spelling of some of the names was a surprise when I looked at the print copy after finishing the audio. I thought Immiker was Imeka, Brocker was Brocka, Roen was Rowan, Cansrel was Cancerell or Cantrell, and Garan was Garin or Garen.

"You don't love me as much as I love you."
Love doesn't measure that way. (Archer and Fire, 127)

"If you're too strong for me to control, then you're strong enough to control yourself." (Fire to Nash, 185)

...at every step on this path I create myself... (Fire, 222)

Fire knew too well that things didn't ever stay the same. Natural beginnings came to natural or unnatural ends. (244)

"So you have friends now. And a protective heart."
"I've always had a protective heart. Only now I have more people inside it." (Archer and Fire, 277)

"I know this is a war, but the rest of us are trying to pretend it's a party." (Clara to Brigan, 320)

You must feel what you feel. (p?)

She wondered if a person could be powerful, but inside be broken into pieces... (401)

You can't help who you love. (p?)

"We're all walking paths we would never have chosen for ourselves." (416)

"Roen said that Cansrel could never see a beautiful thing without wanting to possess it." (Fire, 449) ( )
  JennyArch | May 26, 2015 |
Young Reader Reaction: I really liked the main character, Fire. She was very … fiery — definitely one of the stronger females in the fantasy genre. I liked how this complemented Graceling. It is a companion novel, but does not follow the same characters. Even after falling in love with the characters from Graceling, Fire's characters have their own likability. Both books empower females and accurately depict the difficulties women face in reality. Even though I really liked her, Fire also got on my nerves at times. Other than this, the novel outdoes its predecessor in almost every way.

I would recommend this book for ages 14 and Up for general fantasy violence and sexual themes.

Adult Reader Reaction: Review pending.

Pros: With its strong female characters and a great story, readers (even those who may not be fantasy fans) are in for a treat. Fire stands on her own two feet - a unique offering for a series.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | May 16, 2015 |
Cashore is that rare gifted writer who can give a fantasy novel real depth.

Kristin Cashoreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elbrick, XantheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dellian Lament:

"While I was looking the other way your fire went out

Left me with cinders to kick into dust

What a waste of the wonder you were

In my living fire I will keep your scorn and mine

In my living fire I will keep your heartache and mine

At the disgrace of a waste of a life"
For my little sister Catherine, the (Corinthian) pillar of my heart
Larch often thought that if it had not been for his newborn son, he never would have survived his wife Mikra's death.

Beautiful monster
More feared than loved even by self
Meet your destiny

In a kingdom called the Dells, Fire is the last human-shaped monster, with unimaginable beauty and the ability to control the minds of those around her, but even with these gifts she cannot escape the strife that overcomes her world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,718,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible