Leiser Verdacht by F. Paul Wilson

Leiser Verdacht (edition 1999)

by F. Paul Wilson, F. Paul Wilson (Author), Ulrike Röska (Übersetzer)

199388,802 (3.69)3
Member:likos77
Title:Leiser Verdacht
Authors:F. Paul Wilson
Other authors:F. Paul Wilson (Author), Ulrike Röska (Übersetzer)
Info:Goldmann (1999), Taschenbuch

Deep as the Marrow by F. Paul Wilson

Very good intricate plot. We are introduced to John VanDuyne and his six year old daughter, Katie. John just happens to be the personal physician and friend of the President. The President's main agenda is the decriminalization of drugs. In theory, it may be a good thing for the United States. What does all this have to do with a six year old girl? Read this book and find out. I didn't want to put it down until I knew what happened to Katie, and oh yes, what happened to Poppy. My two favorite characters, Katie and Poppy. ( )
  LilQuebe | Feb 8, 2019 |
Fantastic stand-alone novel from a master. Oh, Poppy! ( )
  KerryAlanDenney | May 18, 2016 |
I felt rather mixed on this one. F. Paul Wilson is known for his works of horror--this one has no element of the supernatural but rather is a work of medical suspense/political thriller. American President Thomas Winston calls for the legalization of drugs such as marijuana, cocaine and heroine. A Columbian drug lord, Carlos Salinas, is fearful he could succeed and destroy the very basis of the illegal drug trade. Salinas sets out to assassinate the president through his personal physician, John Van Duyne, having the doctor's six-year-old daughter kidnapped to force him to cooperate.

I got this book years ago and remember enjoying it, and was reviewing it recently to decide whether or not to cull it to free up space in my library. It wasn't a good sign that I couldn't remember a thing about it before opening the book again. I'm actually a proponent of drug legalization for many of the reasons Wilson lays out in the book. Nor do I feel it's very preachy in that regard, but I did feel the story was written more to argue for the pro-legalization position rather than growing organically from the premise. I might not have felt that way if so many details didn't feel dated. For instance, the president is counting on the support of Milton Friedman, the famous Nobel Prize winning economist and a former adviser to Ronald Reagan and famed conservative William F. Buckley of National Review. Both men did hold the views presented, but both are also very much dead.

Beyond that, I thought the plot got more and more convoluted and far-fetched as the book went along. I'm not saying this is a turkey. It's by and large a well-written book with likable characters, thought-provoking arguments, and a suspenseful climax. But not, I decided, a keeper. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Aug 29, 2011 |
To Meggan and Coates
upon the start of their life together
...and then you know what Jimmy did?
Fear by day and night, fear as deep as the marrow--James Baldwin The Fire Next Time

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812571983, Mass Market Paperback)

When the president of the United States decides to back the legalization of marijuana, organized crime decides he must die. But for them to succeed, he must die without blame on them. So they are going to make his friend--his personal physician--kill him.

First, the kidnap the doctor's daughter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:15 -0400)

Crackpots and left-wingers have talked about it for years, but no one with any real authority has ever considered it. It would be political suicide. But President Thomas Winston has taken the boldest and most bizarre step in the War on Drugs that the United States has ever seen. Vowing to make narcotics legal and to tax and regulate them to the brink of extinction, he intends to take the billions of dollars generated from their sale out of the hands of the drug cartels and move the money into the government's coffers. The conservatives and the Bible Belt are outraged. They swear they'll fight to the death to defeat the President's proposal and see him impeached. The drug lords laugh - they're sure decriminalization will never happen. But then important and respected figures begin to speak out in the media, guardedly supporting President Winston's ideas.Security at the White House is the tightest in its history as death threats pour in daily in ever-increasing numbers. Winston is not concerned. His men are handpicked, the best in the world. Nothing can get to him before he attends the International Drug Summit at The Hague. But they can get to Dr. John VanDuyne, Winston's personal physician and oldest friend, and the one man who can have an audience with the Chief Executive at any time. Someone has kidnapped the doctor's little girl and all he has to do to get her back is poison his best friend - the President of the United States.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,649,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible