The Bunner Sisters by Edith Wharton

The Bunner Sisters (original 1916; edition 2011)

by Edith Wharton

Member:kayclifton
Title:The Bunner Sisters
Authors:Edith Wharton
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 82 pages

Bunner Sisters by Edith Wharton (1916)

English (10)  Spanish (5)  All languages (15)
her private longings shrank into silence at the sight of the other's hungry bliss'
By sally tarbox TOP 500 REVIEWER on 23 Sept. 2013
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
A wonderful, wonderful read; unlike most of Wharton's work, it features not the upper classes, but a couple of impoverished spinster sisters, running a humble haberdasher's shop from their basement.
Life is uneventful until the elder, Ann Eliza, decides to buy Evelina a clock. She goes into a little shop and becomes interested in the German owner - apparently a lonely bachelor. Could she contrive to meet him again?
"A sudden heart-throb stretched the seams of her flat alpaca bosom, and a pulse leapt to life in each of her temples."

Themes of self-sacrifice, sisterly devotion, anguish but also little humorous touches...I adored it. ( )
  starbox | Jul 9, 2016 |
Sisters Ann Eliza and Eveline have a little button and bonnet shop in New York City. They barely make enough to feed themselves, yet they have a room to share and each other for company, so while they may both dream of what might have been, they are content to have each other. Then they meet Mr. Ramy, an unattractive, very poor but kind German clock-seller. He begins to take them around the city and both sisters have hopes for happiness with Mr. Ramy.
I read this on Kindle, so I'm not sure if it's considered a novella or a novel. It's Wharton, so it's great writing. Written with older sister Ann Eliza as the focus, we see the difficulty of unmarried women, lonely women who have just one person in the world to turn to. ( )
  mstrust | Apr 21, 2016 |
This is a short but excellent work by Edith Wharton. Ann Eliza and Evelina are sisters eking out a living in a small buttons and notions shop where customers are few and far between when Hermann Ramy, a clockmaker enters their lives. The sisters, starved for friendship, are overcome by Mr. Ramy's attentions, with dire consequences. This is another book, like Wharton's Summer which I read last year, in which she so successfully delves into characters far-removed from her own social class. The realities of the poor urban working class are clearly presented, and the plight of unmarried women in that time and place are also highlighted.
Highly recommended.

4 stars ( )
  arubabookwoman | Apr 8, 2016 |
It has been a while since I read Edith Wharton. Moreover I am looking more carefully at the writing style of authors of so-called "classics". I found Wharton's style wonderfully economic, with each word of her descriptive prose making a difference. I almost said "colorful" descriptions, but the lives of the Bunner Sisters were not full of color in the terms of light and joy that is usually associated with color. But the characters are fully drawn, some surprising. I found it a compelling look at a time that I assume is around the turn of the century, working class women's lives, that I knew little about. This has filled in much detail in a striking way. ( )
  Lylee | Apr 3, 2016 |
252) Bunner Sisters
★★★

This is the tragic story of Ann Eliza and Evelina the Bunner sisters, the sisters while not happy are content with their shared lives running the Bunner Sisters shop until one day Ann Eliza buys her sister a clock for her birthday bringing the mysterious german Mr Ramy into their lives.

Mr Ramy ends up changing the sisters forever.

If you are looking for a happy ending you wont find it here, the ending is bleakly realistic.

This was a quick read which reminded me of The Old Wives Tale it is not in my 1001 so guess it has been removed at some point. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
In the days when New York's traffic moved at the pace of the drooping horse-car, when society applauded Christine Nilsson at the Academy of Music and basked in the sunsets of the Hudson River School on the walls of the National Academy of Design, an inconspicuous shop with a single show-window was intimately and favourably known to the feminine population of the quarter bordering on Stuyvesant Square.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,460,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible