Eight Days to Live: An Eve Duncan Forensics…

Eight Days to Live: An Eve Duncan Forensics Thriller (Eve Duncan Forensics… (edition 2010)

by Iris Johansen

Title:Eight Days to Live: An Eve Duncan Forensics Thriller (Eve Duncan Forensics Thrillers)
Authors:Iris Johansen
Info:St. Martin's Press (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 416 pages

Eight Days To Live by Iris Johansen

For some reason I just don't like the Eve Duncan books. I think I got very tired of her dead daughter, Bonnie. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Jane's story and expanding on her dreaming. It also brings back Jock, MacDuff as well as Caleb. Don't really get much with Eve or Joe. Wonder where she'll go with the next book? ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
These Eve Duncan books are always thrilling and fast-paced. Some of the early ones, like this one, are starting to be a little dated. They still always have interesting characters and the settings are exotic and interesting. I just don't understand why the whole evil world is trying to kill Eve and her daughter Jane. This whole series of books offer great beach reads. Highly recommended. ( )
  dd196406 | Dec 27, 2015 |
Members of a mysterious cult have decided that Jane MacGuire, Eve Duncan's adopted daughter, will be their ultimate sacrifice.

Eve is a painter and one of her paintings, titled "Guilt" promotes blasphemy, according to the cult.

In this multi layered story, there is travel from such places as England, Paris, Tel Aviv and Scotland as Jane and her group of good people oppose Jack Millet and members of Sang Noir- a cult that deals back to the time of Christ.

There is good suspense in the story that should be read slowly in order to get the various meanings and spiritual elements. However, I did find difficulty in a couple of areas although I was reading much of the story while in the hospital so the problem may be with me. My reading difficulties were with the great number of characters, there were times when I wasn't sure who was speaking and I had to go back to an earlier time to learn the identification of a speaker. Also, some of the characters just appeared in a paragraph without identification or background, just their name.

The forces of good vs.evil did remind me of "The Stand," which I believe is Stephen King's best novel.

I do enjoy Iris Johansen and look forward to reading more of her novels but this book just missed the mark with me. ( )
  mikedraper | Aug 18, 2015 |
It starts with an art show. Jane is exhibiting her paintings at her friend Celine's Paris gallery and having great success. However, one of her paintings - Guilt - has attracted the attention of a cult based on worship of Judas. Though the image of the man in the painting came to Jane in a dream, the cultists recognize it as Judas and feel that she is blaspheming him. The only thing that will satisfy them is Jane's death as the annual sacrifice. They give her eight days to live and the deaths start piling up around her.

But Jane isn't alone. She is being protected by her old friend Jock and the formidable MacDuff. She also calls in the enigmatic Seth Caleb who has unusual talents and a need for Jane. Jane isn't at all sure about him and their relationship is a prickly one. But Jane will do anything that she has to do to protect the people she loves - especially Eve and Joe.

There are two main villains in this one who are equally evil but who express it in different ways. Millet is the loony who is the head of the cult and who gets off on torturing women. Roland is the behind the scenes puppetmaster who pointed Millet at Jane.

While Millet wants Jane as a fitting sacrifice in the annual Offering, Roland is more interested in getting hold of Judas' 30 pieces of silver. He believes that Jane can guide him to them.

The story was filled with action, danger, and excitement. The characters were well-drawn and the scenes suspenseful. I had the unique opportunity to listen to the MP3 audio of the first half of the book when I was traveling and then finishing the book by reading it from my TBR mountain. I enjoyed having a voice in my head for the characters based on the audio portion I heard.

I recommend this suspense title. Johansen writes compelling thrillers about interesting characters. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 7, 2013 |

Eve Duncan and her adopted daughter, Jane Macguire, are pitted against the members of a secretive cult who have targeted Jane and have decided that she will he their ultimate sacrifice. In eight days they will come for her. In eight days, what Jane fears the most will become a reality. In eight days, she will die. It all begins with a painting that Jane, an artist, displays in her Parisian gallery. The painting is called "Guilt" and Jane has no idea how or why she painted the portrait of the chilling face. But the members of a cult that dates back to the time of Christ believe that Jane's blasphemy means she must die. But first. she will lead them to an ancient treasure whose value is beyond price. This elusive treasure, and Jane's death, are all that they need for their power to come to ultimate fruition. With Eve's help, can Jane escape before the clock stops ticking?

Eve Duncan's adopted daughter Jane has been targeted by a mysterious cult who has decided that she has only eight days to live.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,690,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible