Eight Days to Live: An Eve Duncan Forensics…

Eight Days to Live: An Eve Duncan Forensics Thriller (Eve Duncan Forensics… (edition 2010)

by Iris Johansen

Member:bookworm00
Title:Eight Days to Live: An Eve Duncan Forensics Thriller (Eve Duncan Forensics Thrillers)
Authors:Iris Johansen
Info:St. Martin's Press (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:***

Eight Days to Live by Iris Johansen

It starts with an art show. Jane is exhibiting her paintings at her friend Celine's Paris gallery and having great success. However, one of her paintings - Guilt - has attracted the attention of a cult based on worship of Judas. Though the image of the man in the painting came to Jane in a dream, the cultists recognize it as Judas and feel that she is blaspheming him. The only thing that will satisfy them is Jane's death as the annual sacrifice. They give her eight days to live and the deaths start piling up around her.

But Jane isn't alone. She is being protected by her old friend Jock and the formidable MacDuff. She also calls in the enigmatic Seth Caleb who has unusual talents and a need for Jane. Jane isn't at all sure about him and their relationship is a prickly one. But Jane will do anything that she has to do to protect the people she loves - especially Eve and Joe.

There are two main villains in this one who are equally evil but who express it in different ways. Millet is the loony who is the head of the cult and who gets off on torturing women. Roland is the behind the scenes puppetmaster who pointed Millet at Jane.

While Millet wants Jane as a fitting sacrifice in the annual Offering, Roland is more interested in getting hold of Judas' 30 pieces of silver. He believes that Jane can guide him to them.

The story was filled with action, danger, and excitement. The characters were well-drawn and the scenes suspenseful. I had the unique opportunity to listen to the MP3 audio of the first half of the book when I was traveling and then finishing the book by reading it from my TBR mountain. I enjoyed having a voice in my head for the characters based on the audio portion I heard.

I recommend this suspense title. Johansen writes compelling thrillers about interesting characters. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 7, 2013 |
Excellent installment of the Eve Duncan series. But yet, another copy/paste review from Amazon:

Eve Duncan and her adopted daughter, Jane Macguire, are pitted against the members of a secretive cult who have targeted Jane and have decided that she will be their ultimate sacrifice. In eight days they will come for her. In eight days, what Jane fears the most will become a reality. In eight days, she will die. It all begins with a painting that Jane, an artist, displays in her Parisian gallery. The painting is called “Guilt” and Jane has no idea how or why she painted the portrait of the chilling face. But the members of a cult that dates back to the time of Christ believe that Jane’s blasphemy means she must die. But first, she will lead them to an ancient treasure whose value is beyond price. This elusive treasure, and Jane’s death, are all that they need for their power to come to ultimate fruition. With Eve’s help, can Jane escape before the clock stops ticking? ( )
  AdorableArlene | Jan 6, 2013 |
Where to start? Reading the Eve Duncan books are like watching the movie 2012 for me. I loved the movie! I thought it was thrilling and very fast paced and it kept my attention through the whole movie. However, throughout the whole movie, my husband and I were saying "yeah, right" and "how lucky can you get"? That is exactly how I feel about this book. It grabbed me from the very first sentence. I was totally into the book and nothing could distract me once I started reading. But, through the whole book I am thinking, "wow...how lucky can you get" or "how many times can you escape death that closely"? It was crazy how many times Jane MacGuire almost gets herself killed and at the last moment, escapes. It's also frusterating to me how spoiled and childish Jane acts (much like Eve Duncan in previous books). She has no thought for those who care about her. Everything is her fault and so she is the one (and the ONLY one) who can fix it and so she constantly is putting herself into danger.

So, while I thought the book was fast paced, exciting and thrilling, I was not impressed with the childishness of the characters and the total unbelievability of the storyline. ( )
  Booklovingmommy | Oct 4, 2011 |
A decent read but not what I expect from this author. Perhaps it was just a little too sci-fi from an author that I expect to receive mystery-suspense/romance. ( )
  BookDivasReads | Mar 5, 2011 |
Flowed at a good pace, kept me reading. Mildly suspenseful. Characters were only mildly endearing. Not terribly thought provoking. Just good, not great. ( )
  jewelryladypam | Oct 15, 2010 |

Eve Duncan and her adopted daughter, Jane Macguire, are pitted against the members of a secretive cult who have targeted Jane and have decided that she will he their ultimate sacrifice. In eight days they will come for her. In eight days, what Jane fears the most will become a reality. In eight days, she will die. It all begins with a painting that Jane, an artist, displays in her Parisian gallery. The painting is called "Guilt" and Jane has no idea how or why she painted the portrait of the chilling face. But the members of a cult that dates back to the time of Christ believe that Jane's blasphemy means she must die. But first. she will lead them to an ancient treasure whose value is beyond price. This elusive treasure, and Jane's death, are all that they need for their power to come to ultimate fruition. With Eve's help, can Jane escape before the clock stops ticking?

Eve Duncan's adopted daughter Jane has been targeted by a mysterious cult who has decided that she has only eight days to live.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible