Letters From My Windmill by Alphonse Daudet

Letters From My Windmill (1869)

by Alphonse Daudet

English (9)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (13)
Goodness may be extremely irritating in a book. In this book the effect is somehow minimized. Read it in Russian. ( )
  alik-fuchs | Apr 27, 2018 |
Wish I'd had the whole collection!, 21 Oct. 2012
By
sally tarbox

This review is from: French-English Lettres De Mon Moulin (Harrap's Bilingual Series) (Paperback)
Contains a selection of Daudet's 'Tales from my Windmill' with French translation on one side and English on opposite (61 pages in each language.)
Interesting for the language student to try rendering French into English then check on how you could have improved on your translation!
Contains Homecoming from the Hills/ Master Cornille's secret/ Mr Seguin's Goat/ The Old Folk/ Ballads in Prose/ The Man with a golden brain/ Father Gaucher's elixir.
I ended up with this version from the library but would much have preferred a complete collection of Daudet's tales. However it's beautifully translated and gives you a taste of 19th century Provencal life...sheep coming down from the hills in autumn, elderly rural folk, the struggling milling trade. Interspersed are folk tales: the goat who wouldn't listen to reason and went up on a mountain where there was a wolf; the monk getting addicted to the elixir he started brewing to provide an income for his order... ( )
  starbox | Jul 10, 2016 |
Exceptionally a review in English for a book I read in French, simply because I feel that Alphonse Daudet and his Lettres de mon moulin (Letters from My Windmill) should be better known abroad.

I hadn't read them since, in my childhood, my mother read them to me while I was in bed, ready to sleep. A Proustian atmosphere. I heard tens of times what happened to la Chèvre de monsieur Seguin (The Brave Little Goat and Monsieur Seguin), probably one of my favourite tales. It is incredible how phrases used by Daudet are engraved in my memory. I re-discovered them along this book.

Construction of sentences is so simple, Daudet's descriptions so accurate and using such a minimum of words, that I would recommend the Lettres to any reader with a minimum competence in French. All right, there are also, from time to time, old-fashioned words—after all, Daudet wrote this 150 years ago—but the overall is a delicate poesy smelling of the odourous bushes of Provence. ( )
2 vote Pepys | Sep 23, 2015 |
One of the first books I ever read in French. So, a youth book, very naïf but beautiful countryside descriptions and folk-tales style. ( )
  Miguelnunonave | Aug 6, 2013 |
The episodes in Lettres de mon moulin by Alphonse Daudet are not to be seen as short stories, but rather as a precursor of the column, short contributions depicting little anecdotes and characterizations of rustic life, mainly in the countryside. The people portrayed are often curates and priests. Some of the little stories are set in Paris, for example Le portefeuille de Bixiou. All stories excel in detailed descriptions of the characters and the landscape. ( )
  edwinbcn | Dec 8, 2012 |

Daudet, Alphonseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Altena, Ernst vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Par-devant maître Honorat Grapazi, notaire à la résidence de Pampérigouste," A comparu :
" Le sieur Gaspard Mitifio, époux de Vivette Cornille, ménager au lieudit des Cigalières et y demeurant :
It is the custom in Provence, when the warm weather comes, to send the flocks up into the Hills.

The stories are all told by the author in the first person, typically addressing a Parisian reader. The author, having relocated his home from Paris, recounts short bucolic tales about his new life in Provence as well as his trips to Corsica and French Algeria. Considered to be light-hearted, and often a bit tongue-in-cheek, the stories vary from day-to-day events in southern France to Provenal folk-tales, and often feature professions and faunal references characteristic of Provence.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,504,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible