Eating the dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman

Eating the dinosaur (2009)

by Chuck Klosterman

Recently added byprivate library, anapron, troggow, p2pl, Samanthaq25, bmac33
2010 (4) 2011 (4) ABBA (5) advertising (5) American (4) basketball (5) criticism (11) cultural studies (3) culture (9) ebook (15) economics (3) essay (5) essays (64) fiction (3) humor (31) interviews (6) journalism (4) Kindle (6) media (9) music (20) Nirvana (6) non-fiction (73) pop culture (44) read (7) sports (9) television (4) time travel (4) to-read (15) Unabomber (5) USA (6)

An interesting, fun, and sometimes laugh out loud funny read. This is the first book I've read by him and I wanted to get it finished before seeing him at the Tucson Festival of Books this weekend.

As is often the case I've been sitting on his first novel, [b:Downtown Owl|2159007|Downtown Owl|Chuck Klosterman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348123580s/2159007.jpg|2164522] for a couple of years but have never gotten around to reading it. Looks like I will have to remedy that and pick up a few more of his essay collections in the near future. ( )
  dtn620 | Sep 22, 2013 |
A nice break from novels to read a collection of essays from Klosterman. While I am not sure I could identify an overarching point, I did enjoy reading them and serveral made me think about things differently which I always appreciate. ( )
  sbenne3 | Apr 1, 2012 |
I loved Klosterman's take on modern society and how cultural influences are found throughout pretty much everything we do or say or even think. I found this book intriguing in it's philosophical discussions about everything from football plays to the music of ABBA to the Unabomber. ( )
  graceschumann | Oct 6, 2011 |
Here's a little exercise I did in my mind while reading Chuck Klosterman's Eating the Dinosaur. I thought of two of my favorite writers of non-fiction: Bill Simmons on sports, and David Foster Wallace on many serious matters of consequence. Those two are at the extremes of a continuum, from fun-but-trivial to very serious indeed. Chuck Klosterman falls right in between the two: he shares Simmons's fascination with sports, pop culture and celebrity (in fact Klosterman is a frequent guest on BS's podcasts, and he now writes for Grantland, BS's pet sports site at espn), but he frequently veers off to ask serious questions.

Given such a wide subject range, Klosterman doesn't always hit his targets, but he succeeds frequently enough to make this an enjoyable essay collection. Although he gets a bit precious sometimes (stop trying to impress your NYC buddies, upper midwestern homeboy!), he's often able to push past the simple or simply clever observation, and on into real insight.

Recommended. ( )
  mrtall | Jun 29, 2011 |
Is Klosterman commercially accepted? Probably, now at least, but he doesn’t care. Comparing David Koresh the ringleader of the Branch Davidians (aka The Waco Incident) with the mainstream success of the forever guilty punker turned commercial artist Kurt Cobaine, Klosterman spurns meaningful debates for a living.

Interviewing professional interviewers such as Ira Glass of This American Life fame on the subject of interviewing specifically truth, perception, and why people answer questions about themselves. Although Klosterman's wit and style is to be adored, I do have to take a stand against a particular conclusion that I don't find accurate about laughing. I don't know if its entirely true, what about the innocent laughing girls found in such Eastern European art-house films. Anyway, semantics. His bit about Herzog and irony is fun and can only be Klosterman, the quintessential post-ironist. ( )
  TakeItOrLeaveIt | Mar 7, 2011 |
From the lyrics of ABBA and other groups to the best response to social and political allegations of misconduct, this is a hilarious--and pointed--set of cultural observations.
added by sduff222 | editCalifornia Bookwatch (Jan 1, 2010)

Inevitably, Klosterman’s awkward confessionals creep into the foreground of these essays, nudging aside the heaps of celebrity tabloid fodder he molds like so much Play-Doh. He wonders if anything he does is “real.” He talks about his self-hatred, his insanity, his defeatism, his technophobia, his susceptibility to duplicitous advertising, and even his recreational voyeurism. We learn more about the inner Chuck than we do about greatness, authenticity, technological evils, or the rest of Dinosaur’s shopworn Intro to Culture Studies lecture material.

In other words, the once-galvanized heavy-metal monster behind Fargo Rock City now just sounds like a bad emo band.
added by Shortride | editBookforum, Michael Sandlin (Oct 16, 2009)

The result is a collection as much about the author and his way of thinking as it is about his topics. In both cases, the author is unique.

Funny, irreverent and fascinating--Klosterman at his best.
added by sduff222 | editKirkus Reviews (Sep 15, 2009)

There is something insane and self-contradictory in supposing that things that have never yet been done can be done except by means never tried. —Francis Bacon, The New Organon
For the first twelve years of my adult life, I sustained a professional existence by asking questions to strangers and writing about what they said.
In the ten-thousand-year history of facial hair, no one has ever looked nonidiotic with a soul patch.

"Chuck Klosterman has chronicled rock music, film, and sports for almost fifteen years. He's covered extreme metal, extreme nostalgia, disposable art, disposable heroes, life on the road, life through the television, urban uncertainty, and small-town weirdness. Through a variety of mediums and with a multitude of motives, he's written about everything he can think of (and a lot that he's forgotten). The world keeps accelerating, but the pop ideas keep coming." "In Eating the Dinosaur, Klosterman is more entertaining and incisive than ever. Whether he's dissecting the boredom of voyeurism, the reason why music fans inevitably hate their favorite band's latest album, or why we love watching can't-miss superstars fail spectacularly, Klosterman remains obsessed with the relationship between expectation, reality, and living history. It's amateur anthropology for the present tense, and sometimes it's incredibly funny."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible