Eating the dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman

Eating the dinosaur (2009)

by Chuck Klosterman

Recently added byprivate library, thelydia, stephb6, greensled, oel_3, lib0233, thoughtbox

I think this has been my favorite of his essay collections. Many of the essays were more abstract, dealing with time travel and laugh tracks moreso than pop culture directly. It made me think a lot more, it made me use my imagination. I didn't care for the blurbs between chapters. They were sometimes interesting to read, but bothered me overall. They read like excerpts from interviews, but you were never told who was speaking about what, so most of them felt like a waste - reading words with no context.
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Could it be possible for a man to be more wrong on a regular basis?

If you're writing a time-travel essay, you had better get little things like the plot of Back to the Future 2 right, especially if an argument revolves around what you say happened! Again and again, he pulls out these kinds of factual confusions and mis-judgments until I finally had to stop reading to keep myself from throwing the book against the wall.

In retrospect, my warning sign should have been the book getting interesting when Errol Morris showed up for a few pages and talked about his interests and then immediately getting frustrating again once he had left the scene.

Still mad. ( )
  gregorybrown | Oct 18, 2015 |
An interesting, fun, and sometimes laugh out loud funny read. This is the first book I've read by him and I wanted to get it finished before seeing him at the Tucson Festival of Books this weekend.

As is often the case I've been sitting on his first novel, [b:Downtown Owl|2159007|Downtown Owl|Chuck Klosterman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348123580s/2159007.jpg|2164522] for a couple of years but have never gotten around to reading it. Looks like I will have to remedy that and pick up a few more of his essay collections in the near future. ( )
  dtn620 | Sep 22, 2013 |
A nice break from novels to read a collection of essays from Klosterman. While I am not sure I could identify an overarching point, I did enjoy reading them and serveral made me think about things differently which I always appreciate. ( )
  sbenne3 | Apr 1, 2012 |
I loved Klosterman's take on modern society and how cultural influences are found throughout pretty much everything we do or say or even think. I found this book intriguing in it's philosophical discussions about everything from football plays to the music of ABBA to the Unabomber. ( )
  graceschumann | Oct 6, 2011 |
From the lyrics of ABBA and other groups to the best response to social and political allegations of misconduct, this is a hilarious--and pointed--set of cultural observations.
added by sduff222 | editCalifornia Bookwatch (Jan 1, 2010)

Inevitably, Klosterman’s awkward confessionals creep into the foreground of these essays, nudging aside the heaps of celebrity tabloid fodder he molds like so much Play-Doh. He wonders if anything he does is “real.” He talks about his self-hatred, his insanity, his defeatism, his technophobia, his susceptibility to duplicitous advertising, and even his recreational voyeurism. We learn more about the inner Chuck than we do about greatness, authenticity, technological evils, or the rest of Dinosaur’s shopworn Intro to Culture Studies lecture material.

In other words, the once-galvanized heavy-metal monster behind Fargo Rock City now just sounds like a bad emo band.
added by Shortride | editBookforum, Michael Sandlin (Oct 16, 2009)

The result is a collection as much about the author and his way of thinking as it is about his topics. In both cases, the author is unique.

Funny, irreverent and fascinating--Klosterman at his best.
added by sduff222 | editKirkus Reviews (Sep 15, 2009)

There is something insane and self-contradictory in supposing that things that have never yet been done can be done except by means never tried. —Francis Bacon, The New Organon
For the first twelve years of my adult life, I sustained a professional existence by asking questions to strangers and writing about what they said.
In the ten-thousand-year history of facial hair, no one has ever looked nonidiotic with a soul patch.

"Chuck Klosterman has chronicled rock music, film, and sports for almost fifteen years. He's covered extreme metal, extreme nostalgia, disposable art, disposable heroes, life on the road, life through the television, urban uncertainty, and small-town weirdness. Through a variety of mediums and with a multitude of motives, he's written about everything he can think of (and a lot that he's forgotten). The world keeps accelerating, but the pop ideas keep coming." "In Eating the Dinosaur, Klosterman is more entertaining and incisive than ever. Whether he's dissecting the boredom of voyeurism, the reason why music fans inevitably hate their favorite band's latest album, or why we love watching can't-miss superstars fail spectacularly, Klosterman remains obsessed with the relationship between expectation, reality, and living history. It's amateur anthropology for the present tense, and sometimes it's incredibly funny."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

216 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,240,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible