What Katy Did by Susan Collidge

What Katy Did (original 1872; edition 1994)

by Susan Collidge

Series: Katy Did (1)

Member:Severn
Title:What Katy Did
Authors:Susan Collidge
Info:
Tags:Children's, Classic

What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge (1872)

English (20)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
Another old-fashioned favorite. Fun for book group. Perfect last sentence. "But although she said she didn't deserve it, I think that Katy did." ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
A charming old Children’s book about a little girl who hurts her spine in an accident and must remain in bed for almost two years. During that time she learns some important lessons about humility, patience and helping others and well, being able to see the positive side of her situation.

The book deals with some serious issues as death, suffering and handicaps in a good way for Children - unfortunately Susan Coolidge is too eager to spread moral lessons all over the place. A more subtle approach would have been nice. ( )
  ctpress | Jan 12, 2014 |
If every young girl should read just one book, it should be this.

This is a childhood favourite of mine, I love it. It's just the way a children's story should be, simple, slightly nostalgic to an older audience, and with a valuable lesson to learn. ( )
  Corazie | Jul 25, 2013 |
I actually really enjoyed this book. I know it's a bit old-fashioned now, and obviously things have changed a lot since this book was written. Girls aren't expected to be perfect little angels these days. But it's still a very sweet book. It was interesting to see Katy change from a rebellious little girl into a polite and kind young woman.
One thing about this book that I didn't really like was the ending. I thought the last chapter seemed a bit rushed, and it seemed to me like the happy ending was a bit of an afterthought, and slightly unlikely too. ( )
  26kathryn | Jul 9, 2013 |
It's... very moralistic. In a 19th-century, Christian fashion. HOWEVER, I still love it. It's such a ridiculous story and the bit about the School of Pain made me want to vomit (in fact, it reminded me of a stupendous article that appeared in Lupus UK about how chronic illness is really a "beautiful beast within" which is actually the most offensively stupid thing I have ever had the misfortune to see in my entire life, including that film where Jack Black is a luchador) but otherwise there is something so wonderfully compelling in the Katy character that will never make me able to hate this book despite me disagreeing with this whole moral construct. I don't actually think Katy is a less interesting character after she "grows up". There's nothing wrong with learning to be patient with others and to love your neighbour and try to see the best even in the worst situations. It just shouldn't be presented as a requirement of personhood. Anyway, compared to all the other turn-of-the-century sentimental crap that came out of American children's literature (Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, Pollyanna... VOMIT) this is a lot better, and I remember enjoying the sequels too! Good to read on a tiring journey. ( )
  heterocephalusglaber | Apr 26, 2013 |

Susan Coolidgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rapola, SirkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Katy's name was Katy Carr.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 048644760X, Paperback)

Twelve-year-old Katy Carr wants to do so many things with her life, but her mischievous nature and quick temper make it difficult. When a serious accident puts all of Katy's dreams on hold, she learns gentle lessons in behavior from an invalid cousin. A wonderful story of a spunky heroine growing up in nineteenth-century America.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:23 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Katy always planned to do a great many wonderful things, but, in the end did something she never planned at all.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,636,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible