What Katy Did by Susan Collidge

What Katy Did (original 1872; edition 1994)

by Susan Collidge

Series: Katy Did (1)

Member:Severn
Title:What Katy Did
Authors:Susan Collidge
Info:
Tags:Children's, Classic

What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge (1872)

English (23)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
Hm. Yes it's preachy. Of course we'd like Katy to be able to have fun, and not have to learn to be a little housewife while bedridden while still a young teen. But the thing is, in those days before antibiotics, people did die, and other people did have to step up. And apparently this series is as to a memoir - inspired at least by the author's childhood. So, given all the context, I'm glad I kept reading the series. In fact, I'll give this 2.5 stars. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I know I read and re-read this as a kid and after reading Katy by Jacqueline Wilson I can see some of the problematic aspects to it. But also there are aspects that are period details, yes there were injuries that could happen to a back that are now treated with physio and injections (and I'm currently going through some of that myself, incidentally) but the best treatment of the time was rest and this is what Katy endures when she badly injures her spine after a stupid accident that is down to being a bit headstrong, which is, of course, disapproved of in this period. I had forgotten the neighbour with the counterfeiting husband that Katy befriends, but overall this is a story that in context is interesting. And I did enjoy the update I do think kids need to read stories from different periods to learn how life was and is different for different people in different places and times. The mild anti-Irish and anti-black sentiment is a discussion that would be useful for people too. Paternalism is another discussion that didn't come up in the afterwords though it was implied when Katy did some of the "good deeds". Cousin Helen does veer into preachy occasionally.

Interesting, worth re-reading but the enjoyment was somewhat spoilt by adult views. Though I did empathise with Katy and her getting lost in reading when I was younger, I still remember the resonance. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 29, 2016 |
It's... very moralistic. In a 19th-century, Christian fashion. HOWEVER, I still love it. It's such a ridiculous story and the bit about the School of Pain made me want to vomit (in fact, it reminded me of a stupendous article that appeared in Lupus UK about how chronic illness is really a "beautiful beast within" which is actually the most offensively stupid thing I have ever had the misfortune to see in my entire life, including that film where Jack Black is a luchador) but otherwise there is something so wonderfully compelling in the Katy character that will never make me able to hate this book despite me disagreeing with this whole moral construct. I don't actually think Katy is a less interesting character after she "grows up". There's nothing wrong with learning to be patient with others and to love your neighbour and try to see the best even in the worst situations. It just shouldn't be presented as a requirement of personhood. Anyway, compared to all the other turn-of-the-century sentimental crap that came out of American children's literature (Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, Pollyanna... VOMIT) this is a lot better, and I remember enjoying the sequels too! Good to read on a tiring journey. ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
Katy Carr is an untidy tomboy who is forever getting into trouble but who wishes she were beautiful and beloved. Unfortunately, as she is quite a stubborn child she there is bound to be an accident at some stage, and Katy did experience one that left her crippled. Can she use this experience for the good?

I love childrens classics. There is something so sweet and innocent about them that makes me wish children were like this today. I listened to this on Audio and was able to get through it quite quickly during my walks to and from college and while I cleaned. I thought it was narrated beautifully and the storyline was satisfactory, showing a young girl who truly wants to do better. I look forward to the rest! ( )
  Stella-T | Jan 14, 2016 |

Susan Coolidgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rapola, SirkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Katy's name was Katy Carr.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 048644760X, Paperback)

Twelve-year-old Katy Carr wants to do so many things with her life, but her mischievous nature and quick temper make it difficult. When a serious accident puts all of Katy's dreams on hold, she learns gentle lessons in behavior from an invalid cousin. A wonderful story of a spunky heroine growing up in nineteenth-century America.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:52 -0400)

Twelve-year-old Katie, living with her father, aunt, and five siblings in a small town in the 1870's, constantly makes and breaks resolutions to be a kind and generous person like her invalid Cousin Helen, but when she herself is bedridden after an accident, Katie finds her cousin's example very hard to follow.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,715,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible