Songs of Kabîr by Kabir

Songs of Kabîr (1915)

by Kabir (Author)

I downloaded this free Kindle edition with some trepidation, expecting what I paid...nothing. Instead, as I became fascinated with Evelyn Underhill’s erudite and detailed introduction to this edition, translated by the Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore, I realised I’d stumbled on a gem.

The introduction is essential to gaining a deeper understanding of the lyrical, mystical poems that follow. Reading it again after one has read the SONGS OF KABIR deepens both the enjoyment of the introduction itself and the songs.

But it’s in the ecstasy of Kabir’s spiritual experiences as he struggles to share his transcendent experience of the Divine that make this book so excellent. As do the Psalms of King David, Kabir’s works range across human emotions, from the depths of despair to the heights of an overwhelming love.

Kabir’s faith and love of a Divine Being he experienced personally, in his ordinary life as a weaver, could not be boxed by traditional religions, and his impatience with rituals and rules that increase the distance between man and the Divine is clear (“…The Kazi is searching the words of the Koran, and instructing others: but if his heart be not steeped in that love, what does it avail, though he be a teacher of men? The Yogi dyes his garments with red: but if he knows naught of that colour of love, what does it avail though his garments be tinted?...” [Poem LIV]

The real heart of these poems – what speaks most clearly to the reader across the centuries – is Kabir’s passion and adoration of the Divine Presence in his daily life. Not for this mystic the lonely mountaintop and isolation from the real world. The SONGS OF KABIR clearly reflect the inspiration and joy of a man who had discovered an essential Truth and who carried his God within his heart:

“Living in bondage, I have set myself free: I have broken away from the clutch of all narrowness. Kabir says: I have attained the unattainable, and my heart is coloured with the colour of love.” [Poem XLVIII]

Kabir was, indeed, a free spirit who had discovered the meaning of Love. ( )
  JudyCroome | Jun 9, 2012 |
Another work by Tagore
  richardhobbs | Dec 15, 2010 |

KabirAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tagore, RabindranathTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Underhill, EvelynTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Kabir tried to find common ground between Hindus and Muslims. Kabir's mystical and devotional poetry has been found inspirational by people of many different faiths.--J.B. Hare

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:11 -0400)

Includes introduction to the works of the author by Evelyn Underhill.

16 wanted2 free
1 free

NYRB Classics

Two editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590173791, 1590173996

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible