Evil for Evil: A Billy Boyle World War II…

Evil for Evil: A Billy Boyle World War II Mystery (Billy Boyle World War… (edition 2010)

by James R. Benn

Member:Crotach
Title:Evil for Evil: A Billy Boyle World War II Mystery (Billy Boyle World War II Mysteries)
Authors:James R. Benn
Info:Soho Press (2010), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:2010

Evil for Evil by James R. Benn

Another excellent Billy Boyle novel. This one finds Billy investigating the theft of a number of Browning Automatic Rifles in Northern Ireland, possibly by the IRA who may be collaborating with the Nazis. As a good Irish-American whose family gives to Clan na Gael and other IRA supporting groups, he is ill-at-ease in Ulster and also finds that everything is more complicated than it seems at first. I feel there is a bit more landscape description than was strictly necessary but the Irish atmosphere among both Catholics and Protestants seemed very realistic. Billy continues to grow as a character in a very believable way and I look forward to reading more about him (there's another book out already and another soon to come, I'd got a bit behind on my reading of this series.) ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
billy is sent off to Ireland to find missing weapons. He encounters multiple levels of political problems from the IRA to the Red Hand and of course the English and Germans.
I love how Benn takes facts and then makes a historical novel from them. I learn something new while reading a great book. ( )
  pharrm | Dec 29, 2009 |
Benn once again spins a tale from a theater of WWII that is off the beaten track. It seems only fitting that "Uncle" Ike would send Billy Boyle off to Ireland to investigate the theft of armaments and ammo from a base there. Billy's cop background helps him dutifully follow up the clues and leads to solve this mystery. Billy's time in Ireland gives him a lot to think about after growing up in a family that comes down on one side of the Irish debate, he reflects at one point that he's not sure he likes knowing both sides of this subject. Although I missed Kaz and a couple other familiar faces, I really enjoyed this Boyle story. ( )
  ethel55 | Sep 10, 2009 |
[A] lively (and surprisingly thoughtful) adventure series

Recompense to no man evil for evil. - Romans 12:17
Dedicated to those men and women who suffer violence so that we may live free and peaceful lives.
This was the Holy Land, and I had never felt so far from home.

Benn continues to create fascinating behind-the-scenes mysteries from little-known facets of World War II history. . . . A fast-paced mix of action, adventure, and crime solving.--"Booklist."

17 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,308,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible