The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch Mysteries)…

The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch Mysteries) (edition 2010)

by Paul Doiron

Member:merrymac51
Title:The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch Mysteries)
Authors:Paul Doiron
Info:Minotaur Books (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Poacher's Son by Paul Doiron

I enjoyed the book, but had some problems with it. The lead character was not reliable. What he thought was completely wrong. I get that type of story-telling, and maybe I just don't like it. The lead character didn't seem clever to me. He had a theory and wanted to prove it. He didn't think things through, and do things with a plan. He just ended up in the right place at the right time, though things got a little exciting for him. I guess his major thought was to be where the action is. Not because he knew what he was looking for. He just hoped he would recognize it when he saw it. That is how I would do things, but I want to read about people who are smarter than me. ( )
  mainrun | Jun 10, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this book about a game warden in northern Maine. I love CJ Box's books about a fish and game warden in Wyoming, Joe Pickett, but I've read them all and thought this would be a new source to fill that void. Unfortunately, Doiron's main character, Mike Bowditch, just falls flat. There's nothing about his personality that I could really attach too. Same for the other players in the story, save Charlie and Ora.

Bowditch finds out that his father is accused of killing two men and is a fugitive in the wilds of Maine. His alcoholic and violent father, Jack, has lived his entire life as a hunting and fishing guide and trapper (and poacher) in these woods. However, the book never really gets into the woods. There is a lot of time driving and flying from one far off location to another but we never really get to experience the wilderness. The younger Bowditch hasn't even spoken to his father in over 2 years, and very intermittently before that, but he can't believe his father killed two men, which includes a police officer. Mike never tells the investigators that about how little contact he's had with father when they keep insisting that he help find him. Which never made any sense to me. Instead he whines that they don't believe that he's not helping his father.

Mike Bowditch isn't even really investigating the truth himself but rather is more like the little brother that mom says you have to take with you when you go play with your friends. He's just tagging along and wants to be like the bigger boys but just is annoying instead.

I'm undecided if I'll give the next in the series a try and see if it gets better. Somehow there's at least 7 books in this series at this point so somebody likes it. ( )
  she_climber | May 9, 2016 |
New author that I really enjoyed. Story well plotted with a plot line that flows well, without extraneous distractions. The son is a Maine Park ranger, new to the job, that is by nature a solitary individual. He is drawn into working with other police officers in an attempt to protect his bar-brawling father. Son and father seldom connect with each other, but when the father is wanted for a murder, the son feels compelled to try to capture him first. The father is a woodsman, and easily escapes his pursuers. I will be reading more of this author. ( )
  Pmaurer | Dec 7, 2015 |
This is an outstanding debut novel set in the Maine woods. Mike Bowditch is a Maine game warden. His dad is a a poacher and the key suspect in a double murder. Mike's. temper gets him suspended but he can not keep out of the investigation.. I will be reading the next book in this series. ( )
  lewilliams | Dec 5, 2015 |
This is a new, to me, author and series. Mike Bowditch is a mid-20's man who is just starting to develop his career as a Game Warden in the northern part of Maine. When a cop and a big land owner are killed, Mike's father is the prime suspect. Mike is convinced that his father is innocent and sets out to help him. In the process he puts his career and his life on the line.

There was a bit more violence in the book than most I read, but it was gratuitous so I didn't stop reading. The character of Mike is young but determined and very much feels the emotions of a lot of children of divorced parents.

I enjoyed the book and will be reading more in this series. ( )
  bookswoman | Jun 16, 2015 |
When I was nine years old, my father took me deep into the Maine woods to see an old prisoner of war camp. (Prologue)
A black bear had gotten into a pigpen out on the Beechwood Road, and it had run off with a pig.

Set in the wilds of Maine, this is an explosive tale of an estranged son thrust into the hunt for a murderous fugitive—his own father

Game warden Mike Bowditch returns home one evening to find an alarming voice from the past on his answering machine: his father Jack, a hard drinking womanizer who makes his living illegally poaching game. An even more frightening call comes the next morning from the police: They are searching for the man who killed a beloved local cop the night before—and his father is their prime suspect. Jack has escaped from police custody, and only Mike believes that his tormented father might not be guilty.

Now, alienated from the woman he loves, shunned by colleagues who have no sympathy for the suspected cop-killer, Mike must come to terms with his haunted past. He knows firsthand Jack’s brutality, but is the man capable of murder? Desperate and alone, he strikes up an uneasy alliance with a retired warden pilot, and together the two men journey deep into the Maine wilderness in search of a runaway fugitive. But the only way for Mike to save his father is to find the real killer—which could mean putting everyone he loves in the line of fire.

Desperate and alone, game warden Mike Bowditch strikes up an uneasy alliance with a retired warden pilot, and together the two men journey deep into the Maine wilderness in search of a runaway fugitive--Mike's father. But the only way for Mike to save his father is to find the real killer--which could mean putting everyone he loves in the line of fire.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Poacher's Son by Paul Doiron was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,359,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible