The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch Mysteries)…

The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch Mysteries) (edition 2010)

by Paul Doiron

Member:merrymac51
Title:The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch Mysteries)
Authors:Paul Doiron
Info:Minotaur Books (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Poacher's Son by Paul Doiron

This was an okay book for the most part but had several flaws. The characterization was a bit weak. I felt I got to know Mike a little bit but most of what I knew didn't make sense. He made bad decisions for absolutely no reason. He gave up his marriage for a career as a game warden, then made the decision to throw his career away without any effort at all. Like I said, didnt' make sense to me. Initially I thought this was going to be a pretty good book about the often complicated relationship that exists between fathers and sons. And about a son proving himself to his father. That hope eventually dwindled. The ending left me flabergasted -- although it had suprise on its side, it wasn't necessarily a welcome one. I do think Doiron has talent, and hope to see better from him in the future. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Game warden Mike Bowditch returns home one evening to find an alarming voice from the past on his answering machine: it belongs to his father, Jack, a hard-drinking womanizer who makes his living poaching illegal game. An even more frightening call comes the next morning from the police. They are searching for the man who killed a beloved local cop the night before - and his father is their prime suspect. Jack has escaped from police custody, and only Mike believes that his tormented father might not be guilty. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jun 19, 2017 |
Great surprise. Well written, good characters but not over the top. He notes a darker Maine that is not often discussed. His descriptions of the Maine woods matched my experiences and memories evoking a longing to go back.

If he would of killed off Stevens at the end he would have been entering darker JD MacDonald terrain but who's perfect. A good read for sure looking forward to th enext one. ( )
  JBreedlove | Feb 28, 2017 |
I picked this book up because I wanted to read about Maine. What I found was a character, the poacher's son turned game warden, that taught me about life in the wilds of Maine, and the truth about relationships that we are often way too close to recognize. The setting was beautiful - I could see it, smell it and feel it. The characters were real, 3-D individuals. Mike is someone I look forward to getting to know better (and I absolutely loved the insight into a game warden's life, although that was not the main thread of the story). Charley, the old retired game warden, was a great secondary character, and I hope he continues to have a part in Mike's life.

The story, in a nutshell, is about a father on the run. He's led a life skirting the law and is accused of murder. In spite of their lack of closeness, Mike defends his father, convinced of his father's innocence. He plunges headfirst into the fray, putting his career in jeopardy, determined to be there for his father. He alienates those who've supported him, and runs into folks who knew him as a youth - who weren't his friends then and certainly aren't now.

If you enjoy a good mystery, like the outdoors, and/or are interested in learning about life on the northeastern fringe of the States, you'll enjoy this novel. ( )
  LLRobinett | Jan 29, 2017 |
This book is the first in a series about Maine Game Warden Mike Bowditch. I saw a reference to the latest book in the series on some internet site and thought it sounded interesting but since I don’t like to read mystery series out of order I thought I would check out the first book. Now that I have done so I have another series to add to the growing list that I feel I should read.
Mike Bowditch has recently become a game warden for the State of Maine. He grew up in Maine as the son of an alcoholic who worked at various occupations in the north woods but, as the title implies, also poached game. Bowditch senior always said he poached in order to put food on the table. When Mike was nine years old his mother left his father and moved to the city. She remarried and lived in a nice home for the first time. Mike, however, always hankered for the north woods of his youth. He decided to become a game warden in order to spend time there. His girlfriend, Sarah, thought he would soon grow tired of the poor pay and long hours and go to law school but Mike knew he had found the career he wanted. Sarah and he had separated shortly before the story starts because of this dichotomy between their aspirations. When Mike learns that his father is a suspect in a double murder he refuses to believe it. His father is on the run and Mike hopes that he can help clear his name and bring him in before somebody shoots him. Told by his superiors to back off from the investigation he does so initially but he makes some bad decisions in his job and is told to take some holidays. Soon, however, he is back involved with the investigation when his father’s girlfriend asks to speak with him. He is given a lift by airplane up to the town where the girlfriend is being held as a material witness by a retired game warden named Charley Stevens. Charley also has doubts about his father’s guilt and wants to clear things up. Charley and Mike like each other and Mike really respects Charley. Without Charley’s help this book might have had quite a different ending. No spoilers but I will say that Charley is a better father figure than Mike’s real father.
Although Doiron isn’t a game warden he obviously researched the life well. He also has a reverence for nature that shows in his writing. I’ll be interested to see where this series goes. ( )
  gypsysmom | Sep 3, 2016 |
When I was nine years old, my father took me deep into the Maine woods to see an old prisoner of war camp. (Prologue)
A black bear had gotten into a pigpen out on the Beechwood Road, and it had run off with a pig.

Set in the wilds of Maine, this is an explosive tale of an estranged son thrust into the hunt for a murderous fugitive—his own father

Game warden Mike Bowditch returns home one evening to find an alarming voice from the past on his answering machine: his father Jack, a hard drinking womanizer who makes his living illegally poaching game. An even more frightening call comes the next morning from the police: They are searching for the man who killed a beloved local cop the night before—and his father is their prime suspect. Jack has escaped from police custody, and only Mike believes that his tormented father might not be guilty.

Now, alienated from the woman he loves, shunned by colleagues who have no sympathy for the suspected cop-killer, Mike must come to terms with his haunted past. He knows firsthand Jack’s brutality, but is the man capable of murder? Desperate and alone, he strikes up an uneasy alliance with a retired warden pilot, and together the two men journey deep into the Maine wilderness in search of a runaway fugitive. But the only way for Mike to save his father is to find the real killer—which could mean putting everyone he loves in the line of fire.

Desperate and alone, game warden Mike Bowditch strikes up an uneasy alliance with a retired warden pilot, and together the two men journey deep into the Maine wilderness in search of a runaway fugitive--Mike's father. But the only way for Mike to save his father is to find the real killer--which could mean putting everyone he loves in the line of fire.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paul Doiron's book The Poacher's Son was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,238,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible