The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch Mysteries)…

The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch Mysteries) (edition 2010)

by Paul Doiron

Member:susiesharp
Title:The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch Mysteries)
Authors:Paul Doiron
Info:Minotaur Books (2010), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Reviewed, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:B&N First Look, Mystery.1010 Challenge, new release, March 2010, 2010

The Poacher's Son by Paul Doiron

New author that I really enjoyed. Story well plotted with a plot line that flows well, without extraneous distractions. The son is a Maine Park ranger, new to the job, that is by nature a solitary individual. He is drawn into working with other police officers in an attempt to protect his bar-brawling father. Son and father seldom connect with each other, but when the father is wanted for a murder, the son feels compelled to try to capture him first. The father is a woodsman, and easily escapes his pursuers. I will be reading more of this author. ( )
  Pmaurer | Dec 7, 2015 |
This is an outstanding debut novel set in the Maine woods. Mike Bowditch is a Maine game warden. His dad is a a poacher and the key suspect in a double murder. Mike's. temper gets him suspended but he can not keep out of the investigation.. I will be reading the next book in this series. ( )
  lewilliams | Dec 5, 2015 |
This is a new, to me, author and series. Mike Bowditch is a mid-20's man who is just starting to develop his career as a Game Warden in the northern part of Maine. When a cop and a big land owner are killed, Mike's father is the prime suspect. Mike is convinced that his father is innocent and sets out to help him. In the process he puts his career and his life on the line.

There was a bit more violence in the book than most I read, but it was gratuitous so I didn't stop reading. The character of Mike is young but determined and very much feels the emotions of a lot of children of divorced parents.

I enjoyed the book and will be reading more in this series. ( )
  bookswoman | Jun 16, 2015 |
Unfortunately I started reading Doiron's books with his 5th novel in the Mike Bowditch series. I enjoyed this one as well. With this his first novel I learned valuable information in the back story of the primary character. Easy read - quick read - entertaining - and full of references and descriptions of nature - specifically the Maine woods. Now it is on to #2 ! ( )
  labdaddy4 | Apr 10, 2015 |
Warden Mike Bowditch gets involved with a cop killer and forestry baron's death, trying to clear his renegade poacher-dad's name. Great emotional integrity Mike/Dad, motives, anger. Good dialogue and timing. Clever, moving realistic. Goo d pacing, immediacy, Intricate plot, wilderness setting ( )
  jenzbaker | Jan 23, 2015 |
When I was nine years old, my father took me deep into the Maine woods to see an old prisoner of war camp. (Prologue)
A black bear had gotten into a pigpen out on the Beechwood Road, and it had run off with a pig.

Set in the wilds of Maine, this is an explosive tale of an estranged son thrust into the hunt for a murderous fugitive—his own father

Game warden Mike Bowditch returns home one evening to find an alarming voice from the past on his answering machine: his father Jack, a hard drinking womanizer who makes his living illegally poaching game. An even more frightening call comes the next morning from the police: They are searching for the man who killed a beloved local cop the night before—and his father is their prime suspect. Jack has escaped from police custody, and only Mike believes that his tormented father might not be guilty.

Now, alienated from the woman he loves, shunned by colleagues who have no sympathy for the suspected cop-killer, Mike must come to terms with his haunted past. He knows firsthand Jack’s brutality, but is the man capable of murder? Desperate and alone, he strikes up an uneasy alliance with a retired warden pilot, and together the two men journey deep into the Maine wilderness in search of a runaway fugitive. But the only way for Mike to save his father is to find the real killer—which could mean putting everyone he loves in the line of fire.

Desperate and alone, game warden Mike Bowditch strikes up an uneasy alliance with a retired warden pilot, and together the two men journey deep into the Maine wilderness in search of a runaway fugitive--Mike's father. But the only way for Mike to save his father is to find the real killer--which could mean putting everyone he loves in the line of fire.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,355,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible