The Double Comfort Safari Club by Alexander…

The Double Comfort Safari Club

by Alexander McCall Smith

1,205496,646 (3.92)55

English (48)  Finnish (1)  All languages (49)
Always a pleasure to visit MMe Ramotswe and Mme Makutsi as they solve multiple cases involvong everyday situations and people in Botswana. Not much at all about safaris or much mystery, but, as always, enjoyable and endearing ( )
  pennykaplan | Jan 19, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
How does Alexander McCall Smith keep coming up with these story lines for the No. 1 Detective Agency? I have no idea, but I'm hoping he has plenty more to share with us. We are brought back to Botswana once again to watch Mma Makutsi and Mma Ramotswe solve mysteries in their common sense way.

The book opens with a strange incident encountered by J.L.B. Matekoni. As he travels to help a woman in need, he ponders many things along the way, as he usually does. When he arrives at his destination things seem out of place but he can't quite put his finger on it. He has suspicions and questions whether he should share his concerns with Mma Ramotswe. Deciding against it, he keeps the information to himself, not knowing that Mma Ramotswe with up to her elbows with the problem at hand.

I think the most significant part of this segment is the accident that cripples Phuti Radiphuti. As his relatives swoop in care for Phuti, at the same time they block Mma Makutsi from his life. Thankfully, with the help of Mma Ramotswe and other friends, Mma Makutsi is right back by Phuti's side where she belongs. I can't help but wonder if these two will ever get married in the future. You may laugh, but deep down I think I want to see Mma Makutsi and Charlie the apprentice get together...time will tell!

There is one main mystery that Mma Makutsi and Mma Ramotswe need to solve. The assignment sends them on their first overnight business trip together as they head to the wilderness and a safari. Their everyday lives could not have prepared them for the dangers of a safari, but luckily they come out unharmed. With themes of mystery and relationships you may enjoy this book as much as my book club did. I don't hesitate in recommending this book for either personal leisure or as a book club selection. ( )
  jo-jo | Aug 2, 2014 |
Not much detection and investigation in this installment of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, but a delightful read all the same. It's always enjoyable how everything gets tied up so neatly in the end, with nothing more than the laid back (traditional) Botswanan manner of sleuthing. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
I've read every No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency book, and this goes down as one of the best. Every new entry in the series feels much like I'd imagine a visit to Mma Ramotswe would. Sit back, enjoy a leisurely pot of tea, and just let the conversational storytelling wash over you. Nominally a mystery, by the time we're here in the eleventh book in the series, we know why we're really here: for another gentle, heartwarming visit to Botswana, and the characters we've come to know well. The Double Comfort Safari Club features what I think is one of the most beautiful passages in the entire series: watch for the scene in which Mma Makutsi takes shelter from a sudden storm and finds herself to be an unexpected guest in someone's home. Wonderful.
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
This book is for Anne Marie McLaughlin,
a friend of Mma Ramotswe,
and of those in need
'No car,' thought Mr J. L. B. Matekoni, that great mechanic, and good man. 'No car...'

THE NO. 1 LADIES’ DETECTIVE AGENCY - Book 11

Fans around the world adore the bestselling No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, the basis of the HBO TV show, and its proprietor Precious Ramotswe, Botswana’s premier lady detective.  In this charming series, Mma  Ramotswe navigates her cases and her personal life with wisdom, and good humor—not to mention help from her loyal assistant, Grace Makutsi, and the occasional cup of tea.

Readers will agree that this touching and dramatic new installment in Alexander McCall Smith’s beloved and best-selling series is the finest yet. In this story, Precious Ramotswe deals with issues of mistaken identity and great fortune against the beautiful backdrop of Botswana’s remote and striking Okavango Delta.

Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi head to a safari camp to carry out a delicate mission on behalf of a former guest who has left one of the guides a large sum of money. But once they find their man, Precious begins to sense that something is not right. To make matters worse, shortly before their departure Mma Makutsi’s fiancé, Phuti Radiphuti, suffers a debilitating accident, and when his aunt moves in to take care of him, she also pushes Mma Makutsi out of the picture. Could she be trying to break up the relationship? Finally, a local priest and his wife independently approach Mma Ramotswe with concerns of infidelity, creating a rather unusual and tricky situation. Nevertheless, Precious is confident that with a little patience, kindness and good sense things will work out for the best, something that will delight her many fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:45 -0400)

Traveling to northern Botswana where they are impressed by the natural beauty of the Okavango Delta, Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi visit a safari lodge where they encounter discontented locals and struggle with untimely wedding issues.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,931,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible