The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland…

The Cat Who Came for Christmas (original 1987; edition 2001)

by Cleveland Amory

Member:Martine808
Title:The Cat Who Came for Christmas
Authors:Cleveland Amory
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****

The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland Amory (1987)

Recently added byKunoichi, Chark, Alloc, UICS, PaDutchTravel, private library, boookywooky, HsLbry6441BVDr, trudykatz
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner

English (15)  Finnish (1)  All languages (16)
The book started strong, then lost it's momentum part way into it. I tried to skim it to see if the story line picked up, but it didn't. Sending it along as a rabck. Maybe the next reader will have better luck ( )
  nancynova | Mar 21, 2014 |
I read this based on a recommendation, and while it was enjoyable, it convinced me that, really, cats are only interesting to their owners. I like cats. I do not like books about cats. Although sometimes I do like books that have cats in them. It's a confusing equation, but I think it's sound.

And dogs? I do not like books about dogs, but even if I were inclined to do so, I would be put off by people who like books about dogs.

I may give a pass to kid's books, though. They're of an entirely different order. ( )
  phredfrancis | Feb 8, 2014 |
I started reading this book, expecting to thoroughly love it.

After reading several chapters, I put it down. I'm not sure why, but I did not enjoy this book.

Perhaps I was expecting something of the caliber of [[James Herriot]]. It wasn't.

You might enjoy this book, it just wasn't something I could.
  fuzzi | Jul 23, 2013 |
This is the story of how the curmudgeonly writer/television critic Cleveland Amory came to be adopted by Polar Bear, the cat. When the author found Polar Bear, he was just a skinny, filthy, feral cat living out of trash cans and on his wits in an alley in NYC.

Being owned by a cat, myself, and being a cat lover, I adored this charming book. There were many moments of recognition that made me smile when Amory discussed feline behavior. ( )
  bookwoman247 | Dec 29, 2012 |
A little precious for my taste, but enjoyable. Has too many digressions into the history of cats in society and animal rights. The best parts are when he talks about his relationship with the cat. The part where he tries to use ESP on his cat and then consults a cat psychologist is really funny. ( )
  Bjace | Aug 13, 2011 |
To the biographee, the best cat in the whole world - with the exception, of course, of yours.
To anyone who has ever been owned by a cat, it will come as no surprise that there are all sorts of things about your cat you will never, as long as you live, forget.

'Twas the night before Christmas when a bedraggled stray white feline entered the home, and heart, of Cleveland Amory. At first the relationship seemed a clash of two stubborn wills, but despite the battles, Polar Bear did finally recognize his new name, while he settled into a comfortable friendship. A delightful true tale for anyone who has ever been owned by a cat or any pet.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:38 -0400)

The story of a bedraggled white feline who came for Christmas and took over the heart of Cleveland Amory.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,308,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible