The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland…

The Cat Who Came for Christmas (original 1987; edition 2001)

by Cleveland Amory

8711910,199 (3.57)50
Member:Martine808
Title:The Cat Who Came for Christmas
Authors:Cleveland Amory
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****

The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland Amory (1987)

Recently added bykweejee, private library, firstcongregational, bwhitner, Corduroy7, Hobbitlass, -Cee-, Star.Kaat, CynthiaRD, MrsLee
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner

English (18)  Finnish (1)  All languages (19)
Funny little story about a cat (Polar Bear) who was rescued Christmas Eve. This book gives a lot of history on cats and laugh out loud stories. Only you probably must be a cat lover to appreciate this book.2014 ( )
  bwhitner | Jan 3, 2015 |
While I was still reading this book I added a special note to begin my book review! I am so very disappointed that the adorable little white kitten on the cover is pictured with blue eyes rather than the GREEN eyes that the author mentions AGAIN and AGAIN throughout the book! The team responsible for this title at the publisher's office at Back Bay Books for the Reissue Oct-2013 edition was NOT paying attention to details and sadly missed the mark on this one!

I'm sure that the individual that gave me this book for Christmas saw the cover and thought it would be a cute story nestled with joyful blips about the delight of a kitten's arrival at Christmas. Other than the 'rescue' of the kitten on Christmas Eve 1977, this story has nothing to do with Christmas or the holiday season. It is instead rather like a memoir of the little white kitten's first year in residence with the author Cleveland Amory, renowned for his devotion to animal rights. [His wonderful legacy continues particularly with The Fund for Animals and at the Cleveland Armory Black Beauty Ranch / Wildlife Sanctuary, located in Murchison, Texas.]

The book details Cleveland and the little kitten coming to terms with kitten/cat "ownership", naming of the kitten as Polar Bear, developing a feeding schedule, the first trip to the veterinarian's office, learning how to "pill" a cat, Polar Bear's first excursion of airline travel, fitness program, and foreign and domestic policies. Interspersed throughout the book are many historical facts about cats as well as details of significant events in the history of the animal protection movement and rescue operations by the author's The Fund for Animals. As long as the reader can move away from perhaps an initial expectation of a Christmas story, and particularly if the same reader has ever lived with a kitten / cat for any length of time, this book will be a most enjoyable choice.

As I dearly miss our little fur face that our family shared life with for slightly over 21 years, it was a trip down memory lane with laughter during some of the author's descriptions and explanations. As anyone that has ever lived with a kitten / cat knows, "Dogs have owners, cats have staff!" Read and smile, read and laugh out loud. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Dec 29, 2014 |
I was looking for a lighthearted book about a man and his cat, with possibly some Christmas cheer thrown in. This isn't that. While it can be amusing, there is far too little of the cat and far too much of the man talking about everything except the cat. Even when he is describing his interactions with his cat, they become long drawn out affairs of wordiness. In fact, his sentences go on and on. It is like sitting at the table with a drunk uncle who wants to pontificate on all of his views. I really wanted to like this, but I didn't much. Finally I quit reading it about half way through. ( )
  MrsLee | Dec 16, 2014 |
The book started strong, then lost it's momentum part way into it. I tried to skim it to see if the story line picked up, but it didn't. Sending it along as a rabck. Maybe the next reader will have better luck ( )
  nancynova | Mar 21, 2014 |
I read this based on a recommendation, and while it was enjoyable, it convinced me that, really, cats are only interesting to their owners. I like cats. I do not like books about cats. Although sometimes I do like books that have cats in them. It's a confusing equation, but I think it's sound.

And dogs? I do not like books about dogs, but even if I were inclined to do so, I would be put off by people who like books about dogs.

I may give a pass to kid's books, though. They're of an entirely different order. ( )
  phredfrancis | Feb 8, 2014 |
To the biographee, the best cat in the whole world - with the exception, of course, of yours.
To anyone who has ever been owned by a cat, it will come as no surprise that there are all sorts of things about your cat you will never, as long as you live, forget.

'Twas the night before Christmas when a bedraggled stray white feline entered the home, and heart, of Cleveland Amory. At first the relationship seemed a clash of two stubborn wills, but despite the battles, Polar Bear did finally recognize his new name, while he settled into a comfortable friendship. A delightful true tale for anyone who has ever been owned by a cat or any pet.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:38 -0400)

The story of a bedraggled white feline who came for Christmas and took over the heart of Cleveland Amory.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,133,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible