Craphound by Cory Doctorow

Craphound

by Cory Doctorow

2006 (2) 2006s (2) 2007 (1) 2007s (1) 2010 (1) aliens (1) Canadian (2) done (2) earth (1) ebook (2) fiction (3) free (1) free ebook (1) free sf reader (2) humor (2) indie (1) mobi (1) not free sf reader (1) place so foreign (2) science fiction (4) sf (4) sff (1) short (1) short fiction (1) short stories (4) short story (3) unread (1) W (1) ybfree (1) year's best (1)

Cute short story. Not what I expected.
  PilotBob | Oct 26, 2008 |

Craphound had wicked yard-sale karma, for a rotten, filthy alien bastard. He was too good at panning out the single grain of gold in a raging river of uselessness for me not to like him -- respect him, anyway. But then he found the cowboy trunk. It was two months' rent to me and nothing but some squirrelly alien kitsch-fetish to Craphound.So I did the unthinkable. I violated the Code. I got into a bidding war with a buddy. Never let them tell you that women poison friendships: in my experience, wounds from women-fights heal quickly; fights over garbage leave nothing behind but scorched earth.Craphound spotted the sign -- his karma, plus the goggles in his exoskeleton, gave him the advantage when we were doing 80 kmh on some stretch of back-highway in cottage country. He was riding shotgun while I drove, and we had the radio on to the CBC's summer-Saturday programming: eight weekends with eight hours of old radio dramas: "The Shadow,"… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,464,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible