The Russian Dreambook of Color and Flight by…

The Russian Dreambook of Color and Flight

by Gina Ochsner

Tanya carries a notebook wherever she goes, recording her observations and her dreams of finding love and escaping her job at the All-Russia All-Cosmopolitan Museum, a place which holds a fantastic and terrible collection of art knockoffs created using the tools at hand, from foam to chewing gum, Popsicle sticks to tomato juice. When the museum's director hears of a mysterious American group seeking to fund art in Russia, it looks like she might get her chance at a better life, if she can only convince them of the collection's worth. Enlisting the help of Azade, Olga and even Mircha, Tanya scrambles to save her dreams and her neighbors, and along the way discovers that love may have been waiting in her own courtyard all along.… (more)

Really more like 3 1/2 stars. There were some really nicely written passages, and I liked the milieu. On the other hand, it made my eyes glaze over more than once, and some of the characters never quite came alive for me. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
This is one I never made it through.
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Fantastic book. Magical realism with a Russian twist. ( )
  EctopicBrain | Dec 4, 2012 |
In post-Soviet Russia a miscellaneous group of people live in a condemned apartment building and Gina Ochsner describes their lives. The possibility of some funding for the local Museum, where three of the tenants work, is talked about on the back cover but this is a minor part of the plot. This is a quirky and unsettling novel, a world of shortages, dreams and hopes as the mismatched people try to survive.

I can see this isn't going to be a novel for everyone. The muck and grime of daily life; the feral children; the touches of magical realism won't be to everyone's taste but I really liked this book. Bizarre as this is I like the way Gina Ochsner writes and the story she tells and I will definitely be looking for more of her work. ( )
  calm | Jan 9, 2012 |
There is another world, and it is in this one. -Paul Elouard
For Brian
Olga had never been one for numbers, rarely thought in pictures, and couldn't carry a tune to save her soul - had in fact been asked many times not to sing. But as a girl she'd collected languages the same way people collected keys or buttons.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,938,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible