Aunt Dimity Takes a Holiday (Aunt Dimity…

Aunt Dimity Takes a Holiday (Aunt Dimity Mystery) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Nancy Atherton

Member:sugarbear67
Title:Aunt Dimity Takes a Holiday (Aunt Dimity Mystery)
Authors:Nancy Atherton
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2004), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Aunt Dimity Takes a Holiday by Nancy Atherton (2003)

If you're expecting a thriller or hard core mystery don't read this series. It is the epitome of a "cozy mystery" and very cozy indeed. With each new novel, we learn more about our heroine, Lori Shepard, and her family and her life in England. Lori has a ghost (Aunt Dimity) who shares her life with her. Each new acquaintance or setting is usually the catalyst for a mystery or a puzzle to be solved with Aunt Dimity's help. This time we accompany Lori to an estate with her husband a lawyer and a friend (neighbor) to find out who will be the heir to the estate. An enjoyable read. ( )
  kp9949 | Oct 19, 2017 |
This is actually book 8 in the Aunt Dimity series, but it's the first of them I've read. I'm usually a bit of a stickler for reading series in order, but a friend gave me a copy of this one, and I figure with most mystery series it probably doesn't matter all that much where you start. And, indeed, I had no trouble jumping in here, although I do kind of wonder whether I might have found the characters a little more interesting if I'd already known them going in.

The series appears to involve a woman who solves minor mysteries with the help of the ghost of an old lady who communicates with her by making words appear in a journal. In this installment, an aristocratic family gets together in their stately English home to work out some inheritance issues, and someone is making anonymous threats towards one of the family members.

It's a readable enough novel, I guess, and I find the fact that there's no actual murder involved a little refreshing, but mostly it just kind of bored me. The ghost gimmick sounded potentially interesting, but it's actually completely extraneous here, and could easily have been left out entirely. The mystery was mildly interesting for a while, but it's solved in a very unsatisfying way, with a third party basically coming in and telling us the answer, rather than the protagonist working things out herself. And the family issues are all resolved in a really pat and unbelievable way.

Oh, well. At least it was short. And I do suppose that someone who's a bigger fan of cozy mysteries than I am, or who is less tired of English aristocrats in stately homes -- I think watching Downton Abbey met my quota of those approximately forever -- might find it at least a little less dull. Still, I don't really think I'll be bothering with any of the rest of the series. ( )
1 vote bragan | Aug 4, 2017 |
Not bad for a simple non-murder mystery. Lori Sheperd has just learned that her best friend Emma's husband Derek is a real English earl, estranged from his family. Derek has been called back to his childhood home. Emma asks Lori to accompany them. But, as luck would have it, Lori's husband Bill has also been summoned to the estate, as unbeknownst to Lori, Bill is a lawyer to Derek's father, the current earl. Intrigue abounds. Topiaries are burned, poison pen letters are written, horses are throwing riders, old family relationships are renewed, and newer relationships face rough water. Lori, doesn't head to the estate alone with Bill, she also brings Dimity, her homestead's ghost. A cute short read. Nothing deep, cardboard characters, generic settings, and simple plots. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Apr 4, 2017 |
Another fast reading Aunt Dimity, no one got killed, mystery. ( )
  AdorableArlene | Oct 1, 2009 |
Nancy Atherton is the queen of the cozy mysteries. This is a fun and light series that keeps you guessing. And you always get a new recipe out of the deal! What an added surprise! ( )
  Djupstrom | Apr 26, 2008 |

who listened,
and
Christine Aden
who answered the call
It was supposed to be a quiet afternoon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014200393X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Lori Shepherd’s husband, Bill, is summoned to the reading of a will at the resplendent country estate of Earl Elstyn, Lori jumps at the chance to come along. She didn’t expect, however, to find herself entangled in a messy—and dangerous—family dispute. The aristocratic earl has called together the entire Elstyn family to disclose the beneficiaries of his fortune, and all present will be affected. But someone has a grudge against the Elstyns and will stop at nothing for revenge.

A burning topiary, a suspicious maid, family secrets, and threatening notes lead Lori to seek her phantom Aunt Dimity’s help in identifying the culprit before he or she can torch the whole house—with the guests in it

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

"When Lori Shepherd's husband, Bill, is summoned to the reading of a will at the resplendent country estate of Earl Elstyn, Lori jumps at the chance to come along. She didn't expect, however, to find herself entangled in a messy - and dangerous - family dispute. The aristocratic earl has called together the entire Elstyn family to disclose the beneficiaries of his fortune, and all present will be affected. When Bill and Lori arrive at Hailesham, the earl's grand Palladian country house, they find that a beautiful dove shaped topiary on the grounds is ablaze. Is this an extravagant welcoming gesture or the work of an arsonist? Later, a classic poison-pen note appears... Someone has a grudge against the Elstyns and will stop at nothing to get revenge"--Front flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,509,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible