Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton

Aunt Dimity's Death

by Nancy Atherton (Author)

Series: Aunt Dimity (1)

I read this for a crime fiction genre study, which was a little misleading, since there is no actual crime that takes place in this story. The mystery appears as Lori sifts through her mother's old letters, looking for a clue hidden in an old English cottage that will allow Lori to inherit a sizable estate.

Personally, I didn't care for the book, but as is often the case, this speaks more to my reading tastes than it does to any flaws in the story. Objectively, this is a charming, quick novel with elements of romance and fairy tales sprinkled throughout. The cottage where Lori finds herself working is the epitome of English quaintness, as is the good-natured law firm supervising Lori's efforts. The tone remains upbeat and warm throughout, and there is not a smidgen of violence that takes place, not even "off-stage," as is usually the case with cozies. In fact, I would say that this book has just as many romantic and historical elements as it does mystery, if not more so.

But as I mentioned before, I didn't care much for this book...it felt like eating one of those store-bought cupcakes with the neon, radioactive frosting...I can handle a little bit at a time, and I can certainly understand why other people enjoy it, but I'm not likely to choose it on my own. I gave it three stars instead of two, because the book definitely succeeds on an objective level, and clearly on a subjective level for many readers. Just not for me.

Readalikes:

Beatrix Potter series - Susan Wittig Albert. One of the attendees at the genre study meeting suggested this for anyone who was a fan of sweet cozies. This mystery series features beloved children's author, Beatrix Potter, and her animal companions, who help solve mysteries.

Cat Who series - Lilian Jackson Braun. Both series feature unusual assistants with psychic powers - a ghost in Aunt Dimity and a cat in Cat Who. Both series also feature small-town settings, light humor, and quirky characters with little to no violence.

Meg Langslow series - Donna Andrews. A small-town Virginia blacksmith solves light-hearted mysteries with the help of her eccentric acquaintances and family members. Romance also plays a part in this charming series. (From NoveList) ( )
  coloradogirl14 | May 28, 2014 |
delightful mystery and self discovery. nice escape. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
There isn't much of a mystery here, most of it lies with uncovering some secrets of the past, but I still very much enjoyed this book. It was more a story of the power of love & forgiveness over anger & fear than a whodunit type mystery. It's also a bit of a fairy tale complete with fairy godmother type benefactor & a sweet romance. I think now that Lori is set up in this manner the other books in the series are more traditional mysteries with Aunt Dimity's ghost being helpful. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
This is a charming book with likable characters and gorgeous sounding locales. Looking forward to reading more in this series about personal growth and solving mysteries. ( )
  KarenRinn | Nov 2, 2013 |
A mystery/ghost serial. It's a fun read. No. Not the greatest mystery in the world nor is there murder one. Sometimes, it's just nice to escape into a simple story. Aunt Dimity is a ghost. Not really a spoiler. She is the ghost of Lori's mother's best friend who takes a special interest in Lori. ( )
  kp9949 | Aug 10, 2013 |

Atherton, NancyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harte, MeredithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lofaro, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Handsome Prince
When I learned of Aunt Dimity's death, I was stunned.

Atherton's first mystery combines a strong sense of traditional English fare with an insistent gothic spirit. Suffering from her recent divorce, her mother's death, and an erratic income, Lori Shepherd receives notice from a prestigious Boston law firm that she must travel to England in order to meet the requirements of a will. While visiting her benefactor's "haunted" cottage with lawyer friend Bill, she uncovers important clues relating to a World War II mystery.

Lori thought Aunt Dimity was just a character in a family bedtime story until a law firm summoned her to a reading of her relative's last will and testament. Lori will inherit a sizable estate--if she can discover the secret hidden in a treasure trove of letters tucked away at Dimity's English country cottage.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,668,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible