Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton

Aunt Dimity's Death

by Nancy Atherton (Author)

Series: Aunt Dimity (1)

Aunt Dimity's Death has much going for it, and much against it. Plot-wise, this stories a unique one. Including a budding romance, baffling paranormal activity, and a strange mystery that tugs on the heart strings, it's one worth reading and finishing but not something I praise too highly. Save the end and beginning, the middle felt a bit stale and lay flat. It almost grew boring in select scenes as the two truffled through old papers and had tea with strange townsfolk. There was a large lack of tension in the drama, romance, or even mystery department for too large a bulk. The ending was a great one, though, making my eyes tear and leaving me with a warm feeling inside. It's always strange when a book succeeds so well on other level, then meets its downfall in another.

The character of Lori is a decent one, from a starving and down-on-her-luck decent woman to a happily ever after ending akin to a princess-type fairy tale. Will as her companion is sweet and especially likeable toward the end, but not enough 'sides' of his personality are explored to create a in-depth characterization.

As endearing as the characters of Lori and Aunt Dimity are, the story sadly lacked a lot of spark. Sorely lacking in suspense, as the heroine was never in danger and only forced to confront painful trauma at times with a minimal effect, there was nothing earth shattering. I enjoyed seeing her re-evaluate her mother's emotions, even if it only appeared a bit to be something to fill in the gaps. Her view of her mother was a little unrealistic, and while interesting it just wasn't enough to fill in all those pages and make up for the lack of suspense elsewhere.

Aunt Dimity herself was a delightful character, almost clairvoyant, especially toward the end when Will tells his tale and all comes to light. I never would have guessed that happening! Nancy Atherton is a gifted writer, for her words flow smoothly and are easy to digest. When emotion is supposed to be there, she makes sure it comes across loud and clear.

A very light and cozy read with a wonderful ending, it just didn't have enough pizazz to capture attention in a gripping fist. It's a very 'sweet' book, almost like in another world. I did love that they included the recipe in the back, too. I made those cookies after finishing, but mine didn't turn out that well. Drats! ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
A slow, but promising start. I look forward to reading others in the series. It is my hope that things will pick up a bit now that the groundwork has been layer and the characters have been introduced. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton finished 10/13/2015 4.5****
I really enjoyed this cozy "mystery", even though it wasn't a typical
mystery. The beginning of the book takes place in Boston, but the
rest is in England.

The main character is a jaded, down-on-her- luck, thirty-something.
An only child, her beloved mother had recently died and then she gets
the message that her "Aunt Dimity" has also died. Aunt Dimity had been
a person of fiction, the star of her mother's well-loved stories, or so
she thought. After getting acquainted with Dimity's lawyers and passing
some tests, she begins her adventure in England. ( )
  EmilyD1037 | Jan 19, 2016 |
This was a very cute start to a prolific cozy mystery series. It was recommended to me by a friend after I asked for a "light read" and I am officially hooked.

The story grabbed me from the beginning and I felt the "hard-knock life" of orphan Lori. Just as I was getting used to her cash-strapped plight, her future started looking up!

Perhaps it is my naivete on this lifestyle, but I soon found her distrust of all things good and hopeful to get a little tiring. It seemed to me that she had not been through quite the dire straits necessary to be so negative and jaded. If someone bought me a closet full of new clothing, I would be delighted! If a wealthy, eligible bachelor kept smiling at me like the Cheshire cat, I would be intrigued. Instead, Lori did her best to repeatedly bite the hand that fed her.

Though this was a bit of a hindrance to the reading for me, it caused more light irritation and comments under my breath like, "What are you doing, Lori? Take the compliment!" rather than making the book less enjoyable. The introduction of Aunt Dimity and her unusual manner of communication were so entertaining that this turned into a page-turner for me. When I was finished, I immediately started the next one in the list!

Highly recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
So much fun! I've already got the next book in the series! ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |

Atherton, NancyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harte, MeredithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lofaro, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Handsome Prince
When I learned of Aunt Dimity's death, I was stunned.

Atherton's first mystery combines a strong sense of traditional English fare with an insistent gothic spirit. Suffering from her recent divorce, her mother's death, and an erratic income, Lori Shepherd receives notice from a prestigious Boston law firm that she must travel to England in order to meet the requirements of a will. While visiting her benefactor's "haunted" cottage with lawyer friend Bill, she uncovers important clues relating to a World War II mystery.

Lori thought Aunt Dimity was just a character in a family bedtime story until a law firm summoned her to a reading of her relative's last will and testament. Lori will inherit a sizable estate--if she can discover the secret hidden in a treasure trove of letters tucked away at Dimity's English country cottage.… (more)

12 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,626,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible