Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton

Aunt Dimity's Death

by Nancy Atherton (Author)

Series: Aunt Dimity (1)

A slow, but promising start. I look forward to reading others in the series. It is my hope that things will pick up a bit now that the groundwork has been layer and the characters have been introduced. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
Aunt Dimity's Death by Nancy Atherton finished 10/13/2015 4.5****
I really enjoyed this cozy "mystery", even though it wasn't a typical
mystery. The beginning of the book takes place in Boston, but the
rest is in England.

The main character is a jaded, down-on-her- luck, thirty-something.
An only child, her beloved mother had recently died and then she gets
the message that her "Aunt Dimity" has also died. Aunt Dimity had been
a person of fiction, the star of her mother's well-loved stories, or so
she thought. After getting acquainted with Dimity's lawyers and passing
some tests, she begins her adventure in England. ( )
  EmilyD1037 | Jan 19, 2016 |
This was a very cute start to a prolific cozy mystery series. It was recommended to me by a friend after I asked for a "light read" and I am officially hooked.

The story grabbed me from the beginning and I felt the "hard-knock life" of orphan Lori. Just as I was getting used to her cash-strapped plight, her future started looking up!

Perhaps it is my naivete on this lifestyle, but I soon found her distrust of all things good and hopeful to get a little tiring. It seemed to me that she had not been through quite the dire straits necessary to be so negative and jaded. If someone bought me a closet full of new clothing, I would be delighted! If a wealthy, eligible bachelor kept smiling at me like the Cheshire cat, I would be intrigued. Instead, Lori did her best to repeatedly bite the hand that fed her.

Though this was a bit of a hindrance to the reading for me, it caused more light irritation and comments under my breath like, "What are you doing, Lori? Take the compliment!" rather than making the book less enjoyable. The introduction of Aunt Dimity and her unusual manner of communication were so entertaining that this turned into a page-turner for me. When I was finished, I immediately started the next one in the list!

Highly recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
So much fun! I've already got the next book in the series! ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
I read this for a crime fiction genre study, which was a little misleading, since there is no actual crime that takes place in this story. The mystery appears as Lori sifts through her mother's old letters, looking for a clue hidden in an old English cottage that will allow Lori to inherit a sizable estate.

Personally, I didn't care for the book, but as is often the case, this speaks more to my reading tastes than it does to any flaws in the story. Objectively, this is a charming, quick novel with elements of romance and fairy tales sprinkled throughout. The cottage where Lori finds herself working is the epitome of English quaintness, as is the good-natured law firm supervising Lori's efforts. The tone remains upbeat and warm throughout, and there is not a smidgen of violence that takes place, not even "off-stage," as is usually the case with cozies. In fact, I would say that this book has just as many romantic and historical elements as it does mystery, if not more so.

But as I mentioned before, I didn't care much for this book...it felt like eating one of those store-bought cupcakes with the neon, radioactive frosting...I can handle a little bit at a time, and I can certainly understand why other people enjoy it, but I'm not likely to choose it on my own. I gave it three stars instead of two, because the book definitely succeeds on an objective level, and clearly on a subjective level for many readers. Just not for me.

Readalikes:

Beatrix Potter series - Susan Wittig Albert. One of the attendees at the genre study meeting suggested this for anyone who was a fan of sweet cozies. This mystery series features beloved children's author, Beatrix Potter, and her animal companions, who help solve mysteries.

Cat Who series - Lilian Jackson Braun. Both series feature unusual assistants with psychic powers - a ghost in Aunt Dimity and a cat in Cat Who. Both series also feature small-town settings, light humor, and quirky characters with little to no violence.

Meg Langslow series - Donna Andrews. A small-town Virginia blacksmith solves light-hearted mysteries with the help of her eccentric acquaintances and family members. Romance also plays a part in this charming series. (From NoveList) ( )
  coloradogirl14 | May 28, 2014 |

Atherton, NancyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harte, MeredithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lofaro, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Handsome Prince
When I learned of Aunt Dimity's death, I was stunned.

Atherton's first mystery combines a strong sense of traditional English fare with an insistent gothic spirit. Suffering from her recent divorce, her mother's death, and an erratic income, Lori Shepherd receives notice from a prestigious Boston law firm that she must travel to England in order to meet the requirements of a will. While visiting her benefactor's "haunted" cottage with lawyer friend Bill, she uncovers important clues relating to a World War II mystery.

Lori thought Aunt Dimity was just a character in a family bedtime story until a law firm summoned her to a reading of her relative's last will and testament. Lori will inherit a sizable estate--if she can discover the secret hidden in a treasure trove of letters tucked away at Dimity's English country cottage.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,232,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible