No title (1974)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Aunts Aren't Gentlemen by P. G. Wodehouse (1974)

English (21)  Dutch (1)  All languages (22)
I guess I should try one earlier in the series - I didn't realize this was #15 when I was just browsing the library shelf. Too many allusions to stuff of which I've no awareness. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
As usual, Bertie gets into trouble without even trying, this time involving a stolen cat and a racehorse. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Apr 18, 2016 |
PG Wodehouse is a master of comic writing and this book is one of his very best. If you have never read PG Wodehouse, you have missed a great writer. I am in awe of his skill. ( )
1 vote M_Clark | Feb 28, 2016 |
Enjoyable romp with the good-hearted but gormless Bertie Wooster and his valet Jeeves. The story involves some spots on Bertie's chest, a country cottage, a stolen cat, horse races, misunderstandings, and an aunt with no moral code. All neatly sorted out by the end, alongside plenty of ironic humour and typical Wodehouse informality. Enjoyable. ( )
1 vote SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is one of Wodehouse's best.
Bertie goes off to the country to have some peace and relaxation and ends up having everything else but. He gets mixed up, as usual, with the wrong woman, has an irate suitor wanting his guts for garters, helps his Aunt Dahlia in an undertaking too foul for anyone's consumption. Bertie tries to straighten things out, but, all the while, makes things worse and worse. ( )
1 vote quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cecil, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My attention was drawn to the spots on my chest when I was in my bath, singing, if I remember rightly, the Toreador song from the opera Carmen.
UK title 'Aunts Aren't Gentlemen', US title 'The Cat-nappers'

The Curious Case of the Maiden Eggesford Horror. When the doctor advises Bertie to live the quiet life, he and Jeeves head for the pure air and peace of Maiden Eggesford. However, they hadn't reckoned on Bertie's irrepressible but decidedly scheming Aunt Dahlia, around whom an imbroglio of impressive proportions develops involving The Cat Which Kept Popping Up When Least Expected. As Bertie observes, whatever aunts are, they are not gentlemen. (Penguin blurb)

Bertie Wooster withdraws to the village of Maiden Eggesford on doctor's orders to "sleep the sleep of the just and lead the quiet Martini-less life." Only the presence of the irrepressible Aunt Dahlia shatters the rustic peace.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,365,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible