Aunts Aren't Gentlemen by P.G.…

Aunts Aren't Gentlemen (original 1974; edition 2009)

by P.G. Wodehouse

Title:Aunts Aren't Gentlemen
Authors:P.G. Wodehouse
Info:Overlook Hardcover (2009), Hardcover, 178 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Aunts Aren't Gentlemen by P. G. Wodehouse (1974)

English (17)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
Looking for the quiet country life, Bertie rents a cottage in a small village where his Aunt Dahlia happens to be visiting friends. He manages to get engaged again and Jeeves biffs off to visit family, leaving Bertie to deal with his problems alone. There's also a little matter of a stolen cat and an important horse race. ( )
  Pferdina | Nov 29, 2015 |
I guess I should try one earlier in the series - I didn't realize this was #15 when I was just browsing the library shelf. Too many allusions to stuff of which I've no awareness. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Another fine Bertie & Jeeves romp by the master, P.G. Wodehouse. Great for your vocabulary development - more vocab words per chapter than just about anything else I read. And they always seem to be such perfect choices to describe the scene, people, or situation. Notables include klaxon, febrile, sleeky, purl, cosh, and nolle prosequi (look them up for yourself!) ( )
1 vote tgraettinger | Dec 14, 2014 |
I didn't manage my Christmas goal of all my Wodehouses but I enjoyed them all. This another Aunt Dahlia involving purloined cats and country cottages and another woman Bertie was once engaged to.
1 vote amyem58 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Oh, love, love, love Wodehouse and Bertie is just the most adorable hapless hero. ( )
1 vote periwinklejane | Mar 31, 2013 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My attention was drawn to the spots on my chest when I was in my bath, singing, if I remember rightly, the Toreador song from the opera Carmen.
UK title 'Aunts Aren't Gentlemen', US title 'The Cat-nappers'

The Curious Case of the Maiden Eggesford Horror. When the doctor advises Bertie to live the quiet life, he and Jeeves head for the pure air and peace of Maiden Eggesford. However, they hadn't reckoned on Bertie's irrepressible but decidedly scheming Aunt Dahlia, around whom an imbroglio of impressive proportions develops involving The Cat Which Kept Popping Up When Least Expected. As Bertie observes, whatever aunts are, they are not gentlemen. (Penguin blurb)

Bertie Wooster withdraws to the village of Maiden Eggesford on doctor's orders to "sleep the sleep of the just and lead the quiet Martini-less life." Only the presence of the irrepressible Aunt Dahlia shatters the rustic peace.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,876,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible