No title (1974)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Aunts Aren't Gentlemen by P. G. Wodehouse (1974)

English (22)  Dutch (1)  English (23)
I have never read anyone with a keenest sense of comedy, and a better way to describe the most outrageously funny situations as P. G. Wodehouse. I wish I had met him! The Cat-nappers is the best Jeeves/Wooster I have read so far. The situations are not only absolutely hilarious, but they way Wodehouse develops the entanglements in which our hero gets involved, and the ways Jeeves helps—or declines to help—are extremely clever and absolutely hilarious. I found myself laughing out loud too many times and almost spilling my coffee. So, make sure you are not drinking anything while you read this! In this book I encountered a word I remember reading in classic literature many moons ago: jocund; and I learned two new ones: mulcted and sundered. (Give me a little break, for English is not my mother tongue.) To give you an idea of Wodehouse cleverness, here are just a few passages I thought more memorable—because there is way too much to quote.
“I have never been fond of hunting crops since at an early age I was chased for a mile across difficult country by an uncle armed with one, who had found me smoking one of his cigars. In frosty weather I can still feel the old wounds.”
“And with no further ado—or is it do-do? I never can remember […].”
“When I was a child, my nurse told me that there was One who was always beside me, spying out all my ways, and that if I refused to eat my spinach I would hear about it on Judgment Day, but it never occurred to me that she was referring to Orlo Porter.”
“‘What are those things circumstances have, Jeeves?’ I said. ‘Sir?’ ‘You know what I mean, you talk of a something of circumstances which leads to something. Cats enter into it, if I’m not wrong.’ ‘Would concatenation be the word you are seeking?’”
"It was in jocund mood that I set forth."
Wooster describes Vanessa Cook: “the pinup girl to end all pinup girls. […] in another thirty years or so she would look just like my Aunt Agatha, before whose glare, as is well known, strong men curl up like rabbits.”
“[I]t is practically impossible to cut in on a woman who has gone on speaking. They get the stuff out so damn quick that the slower male hasn’t a hope.” (And as a female I can’t agree more with that!)
“She ignored my observation. This generally happens with me. Show me a woman, I sometimes say, and I will show you someone who is going to ignore my observations.”
“You can face a man if he has simply got the disposition of a dyspeptic rattlesnake and confines himself to coarse abuse, […].”
“‘Do you know what is wrong with aunts as a class?’ ‘No, sir.’ ‘They are not gentlemen,’ I said gravely.” ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
I guess I should try one earlier in the series - I didn't realize this was #15 when I was just browsing the library shelf. Too many allusions to stuff of which I've no awareness. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
As usual, Bertie gets into trouble without even trying, this time involving a stolen cat and a racehorse. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Apr 18, 2016 |
PG Wodehouse is a master of comic writing and this book is one of his very best. If you have never read PG Wodehouse, you have missed a great writer. I am in awe of his skill. ( )
1 vote M_Clark | Feb 28, 2016 |
Enjoyable romp with the good-hearted but gormless Bertie Wooster and his valet Jeeves. The story involves some spots on Bertie's chest, a country cottage, a stolen cat, horse races, misunderstandings, and an aunt with no moral code. All neatly sorted out by the end, alongside plenty of ironic humour and typical Wodehouse informality. Enjoyable. ( )
1 vote SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cecil, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My attention was drawn to the spots on my chest when I was in my bath, singing, if I remember rightly, the Toreador song from the opera Carmen.
UK title 'Aunts Aren't Gentlemen', US title 'The Cat-nappers'

The Curious Case of the Maiden Eggesford Horror. When the doctor advises Bertie to live the quiet life, he and Jeeves head for the pure air and peace of Maiden Eggesford. However, they hadn't reckoned on Bertie's irrepressible but decidedly scheming Aunt Dahlia, around whom an imbroglio of impressive proportions develops involving The Cat Which Kept Popping Up When Least Expected. As Bertie observes, whatever aunts are, they are not gentlemen. (Penguin blurb)

Bertie Wooster withdraws to the village of Maiden Eggesford on doctor's orders to "sleep the sleep of the just and lead the quiet Martini-less life." Only the presence of the irrepressible Aunt Dahlia shatters the rustic peace.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,628,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible