A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay

A Secret Kept (edition 2010)

by Tatiana de Rosnay

Member:kidsfour
Title:A Secret Kept
Authors:Tatiana de Rosnay
Info:St. Martin's Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 305 pages
Tags:This has been my favorite of her books. I really like this author and when I finished it and picked up another book by someone else, it was very disappointing.

A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay

Recently added byprivate library, lreed23, elkiedee, alo1224, nittnut, Laurajtl

English (53)  Dutch (5)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (60)
Two intertwining stories are told in alternating fashion. One is of the young girl Sarah who lives in a Paris apartment with her Jewish family in the 1940's. She is terrified when police show up at the building, demanding that her family leave with them. Her brother is equally scared and runs and hides in their secret hiding place--a hidden cupboard that they often play in. Sarah tries to get him to leave but when he won't she locks him in and pockets the key, thinking that he will be safe there until she can return. Fast forward to the 20th century, and an American woman named Julia is living in Paris with her French husband and daughter. Julia is a reporter and is assigned to work on a story abut the round up of Jews in Paris during the 1940's. That story leads her to uncover information about her husband's family--and the apartment they moved into during the 1940's, which turns out to be the apartment that Sarah's family lived in. Gradually Sarah's story plays out and then the focus switches to Julia as she ferrets out what happened to Sarah after the war.
I had some very strong emotional reactions to this book, so the author must have been doing her job well! Sarah's story is of course tragic, but I identified more with Julia and some of the dramatic things that happened in her life. I did find some things too coincidental and neatly tied up at the end, but it was a very engaging story and one I enjoyed discussing with others. Definitely a great choice for discussion groups and anyone who enjoys engaging historical/contemporary fiction. ( )
  debs4jc | Dec 2, 2014 |
Sophomoric writing at it's best. Flat characters; all the "good" women are gorgeous, tall, long hair, and long legs while the inept women are short, fat, and "dumb" with hairy chins. Wait- don't forget to include the old women who are characterized as wrikled, mean, and cold. Nice idea and there is a possible captivating story just waiting for a writer to bring it out- but this fell short. ( )
  rudder | Jun 24, 2014 |
It took me a little while to get into this book but once I did I couldn't put it down. I didn't actually get into the meat of it until yesterday and then it was hard for me to not finish it last night. I picked it back up this morning when I got up and just now finished it. It took me several hours of just straight reading to finish it but I did. I definitely will read her other two, Sarah's Key and The House I Loved. It is definitely a book to be read by anyone. It is a mystery but it is also a love story at its core. Love between a mother and a son between a brother and sister between the narrator and the woman he meets between his mother and someone else and between a father and his children and even his ex-wife.
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
She is a very talented novelist. I read this a while back and enjoyed it but I will never forget SARAH'S KEY and know I will return to it many more times. ( )
  Betty.Ann.Beam | Nov 30, 2013 |
I thought the story had some flaws, but Simon Vance is such a great narrator, I still enjoyed it. ( )
  alyson | Aug 29, 2013 |

Tatiana de Rosnayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blom, Iris van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Pierrre-Emmanuel (1989-2006).
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it. -- Henry Scott Holland
Manderley was no more. -- Daphne Du Maurier, Rebecca
This book is for Cecilia and Alexis, my wonderful sister and brother, and for Cedric and Caroline, their loved ones.
I am shown into a small drab room, told to sit down and wait.

It's been thirty years since Antonie's and Melanie's mother died. But when a visit to the sea at Noirmoutier Island triggers painful memories of their haunting childhood--and Melanie lies in the hospital recovering from a near fatal accident--Antoine must confront his past and also his troubled relationships with his own children.… (more)

Tatiana de Rosnay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Secret Kept by Tatiana De Rosnay was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,383,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible