A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay

A Secret Kept (edition 2010)

by Tatiana de Rosnay

Member:kidsfour
Title:A Secret Kept
Authors:Tatiana de Rosnay
Info:St. Martin's Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 305 pages
Tags:This has been my favorite of her books. I really like this author and when I finished it and picked up another book by someone else, it was very disappointing.

A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay

English (52)  Dutch (5)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (59)
Sophomoric writing at it's best. Flat characters; all the "good" women are gorgeous, tall, long hair, and long legs while the inept women are short, fat, and "dumb" with hairy chins. Wait- don't forget to include the old women who are characterized as wrikled, mean, and cold. Nice idea and there is a possible captivating story just waiting for a writer to bring it out- but this fell short. ( )
  rudder | Jun 24, 2014 |
It took me a little while to get into this book but once I did I couldn't put it down. I didn't actually get into the meat of it until yesterday and then it was hard for me to not finish it last night. I picked it back up this morning when I got up and just now finished it. It took me several hours of just straight reading to finish it but I did. I definitely will read her other two, Sarah's Key and The House I Loved. It is definitely a book to be read by anyone. It is a mystery but it is also a love story at its core. Love between a mother and a son between a brother and sister between the narrator and the woman he meets between his mother and someone else and between a father and his children and even his ex-wife.
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
She is a very talented novelist. I read this a while back and enjoyed it but I will never forget SARAH'S KEY and know I will return to it many more times. ( )
  Betty.Ann.Beam | Nov 30, 2013 |
I thought the story had some flaws, but Simon Vance is such a great narrator, I still enjoyed it. ( )
  alyson | Aug 29, 2013 |
For Melanie's 40th birthday, her brother Antoine takes her on a surprise visit to Nourmoutier Island where the 2 had spent many summer vacations as children. But not only does the weekend bring back many happy family memories, Melanie recalls a family secret that had been forgotten. On the drive back to Paris, just as Melanie is about to share her secret, the two get into a horrific car accident. A Secret Kept is a beautiful story about family secrets, about all the conversations that are never verbalized in a family.

This started out as a perfect story. The characters are complex and real and there is a continuous foreshadowing of a deep and dark secret. To top it off, I loved the way that Simon Vance narrates this book. The main character, Antoine Rey, is a recently divorced father of 3 children, who feels like his life is coming apart. His marriage has ended, he has no serious relationships, his teenage children are beginning to rebel - life seems dreary and then, to top it off, his sister is critically injured in a car accident as she is about to reveal a devastating family secret. de Rosnay does an excellent job of portraying the angst and sadness in Antoine's life, even to the point of making me cry during certain parts. But the plot sort of fizzled. The promise of something incredibly earth shattering never came about and I finished the book without that satisfying feeling of a well told story. I still want to read her other novel, Sarah's Key which I"ve heard rave reviews since the writing was so promising. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |

Tatiana de Rosnayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blom, Iris van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Pierrre-Emmanuel (1989-2006).
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it. -- Henry Scott Holland
Manderley was no more. -- Daphne Du Maurier, Rebecca
This book is for Cecilia and Alexis, my wonderful sister and brother, and for Cedric and Caroline, their loved ones.
I am shown into a small drab room, told to sit down and wait.

It's been thirty years since Antonie's and Melanie's mother died. But when a visit to the sea at Noirmoutier Island triggers painful memories of their haunting childhood--and Melanie lies in the hospital recovering from a near fatal accident--Antoine must confront his past and also his troubled relationships with his own children.… (more)

Tatiana de Rosnay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Secret Kept by Tatiana De Rosnay was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,247,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible