The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene

The 48 Laws of Power (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Robert Greene

Member:2seven
Title:The 48 Laws of Power
Authors:Robert Greene
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2000), Edition: 1, Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Non-Fiction
Tags:shelved

The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene (1998)

Recently added byprivate library, nvettese, Ecolexity, ajayfindlay, CACarson, Ianvdl, WysfulThinking, amimariscal, perin42, LisMel7
Legacy LibrariesJack Layton

This book is funny, but not as much as the Amazon and Goodreads reviews. You have the people who took it seriously and gave it five stars. And then you have the people who took it seriously and gave it one star. Lighten up, Francis!

I didn't take it seriously, but instead took it for what it was: a bunch of unsourced anecdotes (a BUNCH of anecdotes...multiple per "law") draped in the author's interpretations of applicability. Okay, he has a "selected" bibliography, but every anecdote is just presented without reference so they're just some tales packaged to illustrate a point or three. Some of those interpretations are insightful, and some are...a reach. Most are just stories loosely connected to his "laws".

Greene made a bunch of money selling these "laws" and hats off to him. I wish I didn't care about what I wrote and could sell this stuff.
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
This is probably the worst and stupidest book I have ever read. I hate books that claim to know you better than you can know yourself. ( )
  mlorio | Jul 21, 2016 |
Changed my mind, I thought it was a great book, but the content may be somewhat questionable after all. ( )
  lente | Dec 6, 2015 |
To be honest, I began reading this book with resentment. Most of what the author was advocating seemed diabolical and immoral. I continued reading with the goal of learning what power tricks to avoid in others. And in the context, the book was enlightening.

As I continued reading, my position softened. There were still some aspects that I would not emulate but with each successive law, I found myself being won over to the arguments and appreciating the lessons. One or two of the lessons even had personal significance to me and I felt I could really improve my relationships by employing their wisdom. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
In direct contrast to the compassion-oriented management books that dominate today’s business bestseller lists is The 48 Laws of Power, a Machiavellian treatise for the modern age. Part Prince, part Art of War, Robert Greene’s best seller boasts the unique distinction of being quoted by such management luminaries as Jay Z, UGK, Kanye West, and Drake, and even featured in tattoos sported by the likes of Calvin Harris and DJ Premier. (50 Cent liked the book so much he went on to co-author the sequel.) The 48 Laws of Power has enjoyed similar popularity in diverse walks of life, from Wall Street to Hollywood to D.C.

The author views everything through the lens of power, which results in a distinctly uncomfortable degree of honesty about why humans do what they do. He labels as disingenuous anyone who claims that we do what we do for reasons other than power, and illustrates how people who try to “opt out” of the game of power by championing honesty, equality, or naivety are actually leveraging a time-honored law of power themselves.

In terms of format, the book is eminently readable. After each law, a slightly expanded summary of the meaning is included, followed by a historical incident that illustrates transgression of the law, then another historical anecdote about an observance of the law. The author finishes each law by expounding on the “keys of power,” or the details about how to apply the law in practice, and cautioning us with the “reversal”, or how the particular law may not apply in all situations.

The only solution I could find to concisely give you the core of the book was to list only a summary of the meaning of each law. To attempt to recap a story supporting each one would result in a massively unwieldy article, so this book summary is a verbatim quotation of the author’s laws and summaries thereof. Without further ado:

The 48 Laws of Power:

Law 1: Never outshine the master. Always make those above you feel comfortably superior. In your desire to please or impress them, do not go too far in displaying your talents or you might accomplish the opposite – inspire fear and insecurity. Make your masters appear more brilliant than they are and you will attain the heights of power.

Law 2: Never put too much trust in friends; learn how to use enemies. Be wary of friends – they will betray you more quickly, for they are easily aroused to envy. They also become spoiled and tyrannical. But hire a former enemy and he will be more loyal than a friend, because he has more to prove. In fact, you have more to fear from friends than from enemies. If you have no enemies, find a way to make them.

Read the rest at http://www.deconstructingexcellence.com/the-48-laws-of-power/ ( )
  DE_Blog | Apr 8, 2015 |
To Anna Biller, and to my parents R.G.

Amoral, cunning, ruthless, and instructive, this piercing work distills three thousand years of the history of power in to forty-eight well explicated laws. As attention-grabbing in its design as it is in its content, this bold volume outlines the laws of power in their unvarnished essence, synthesizing the philosophies of Machiavelli, Sun-tzu, Carl von Clausewitz, and other great thinkers.

Some laws teach the need for prudence ("Law 1: Never Outshine the Master"), the virtue of stealth ("Law 3: Conceal Your Intentions"), and many demand the total absence of mercy ("Law 15: Crush Your Enemy Totally"), but like it or not, all have applications in real life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

Amoral, cunning, ruthless, and instructive, this piercing work distills three thousand years of the history of power into 48 well-explicated laws. It outlines the laws of power in their unvarnished essence, synthesizing the philosophies of Machiavelli, Sun-tzu, Carl von Clausewitz, and other great thinkers. Some laws teach the need for prudence, the virtue of stealth, and many demand the total absence of mercy, but like it or not, all have applications in real life. Illustrated through the tactics of Queen Elizabeth I, Henry Kissinger, P. T. Barnum, and other famous figures who have wielded--or been victimized by--power, these laws will fascinate any reader interested in gaining, observing, or defending against ultimate control.--From publisher description.… (more)

546 wanted1 pay2 pay

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible