Again, Dangerous Visions by Harlan Ellison

Again, Dangerous Visions (1972)

by Harlan Ellison (Editor)

Other authors: Piers Anthony (Contributor), Gregory Benford (Contributor), Joan Bernott (Contributor), James Blish (Contributor), Ben Bova (Contributor)37 more, Ray Bradbury (Contributor), Edward Bryant (Contributor), Terry Carr (Contributor), Thomas M. Disch (Contributor), Burt K. Filer (Contributor), David Gerrold (Contributor), M. John Harrison (Contributor), John Heidenry (Contributor), James B. Hemesath (Contributor), Richard Hill (Contributor), Lee Hoffman (Contributor), H. H. Hollis (Contributor), David Kerr (Contributor), Dean R. Koontz (Contributor), Ursula K. Le Guin (Contributor), Evelyn Lief (Contributor), Richard A. Lupoff (Contributor), Ken McCullough (Contributor), Ray Nelson (Contributor), K M. O'Donnell (Contributor), Andrew J. Offutt (Contributor), Chad Oliver (Contributor), A. Parra y Figueredo (Contributor), Ross Rocklynne (Contributor), Joanna Russ (Contributor), James Sallis (Contributor), Josephine Saxton (Contributor), Robin Scott (Contributor), T. L. Sherred (Contributor), James Tiptree, Jr. (Contributor), Leonard Tushnet (Contributor), Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (Contributor), Andrew Weiner (Contributor), Kate Wilhelm (Contributor), Gahan Wilson (Contributor), Bernard Wolfe (Contributor), Gene Wolfe (Contributor)

Series: Dangerous Visions (2)

I won't lie, I only read several of the short stories in this collection. When I heard that it contained Bradbury and Vonnegut, I knew I had to pick up this bad boy! If I had time I would have read many more of the awesome stories in here, but since I had to get this inter-library loaned I can't renew it (sad panda). I really enjoy that the editor, Harlan Ellison, wrote a nice little introduction about each author and story, it was a nice little touch. The cover art is also trippy and totally cool. This is a volume that I will most definitely have to buy. Ray Bradbury's contribution is a poem entitled, "Christ, Old Student in a New School." It wasn't my favorite of his, but maybe that's because of the format. I'm not a huge poetry buff. Kurt Vonnegut's contribution though, blew my friggin socks off! "The Big Space Fuck" is amazing, it's classic Vonnegut, with dark humor, bad language, satire, and ridiculousness. I loved every second of it! Big fans of his will also get a kick out of some of the characters he uses (Wanda June and John L. Newcomb). Here's just a little taste of the ridiculousness in store for you if you pick it up: "Everything had turned to shit and beer cans and old automobiles and Clorox bottles." Reading this made my night. A must read for Vonnegut and Bradbury fans!! ( )
  ecataldi | May 7, 2015 |
Originally read in '70s when it first came out. It still stands up well after 40 years.

"An Assault of New Dreamers" (introduction) by Harlan Ellison

"The Counterpoint of View" by John Heidenry - Very good - a bit Jorge Luis Borges crossed with something out of the Vandermeer's "Thackery T. Lambshead" concoctions.

"Ching Witch!" by Ross Rocklynne - dated and poor

"The Word for World Is Forest" by Ursula K. Le Guin - a bit dated with all the Vietnam references but still a good read

"For Value Received" by Andrew J. Offutt - very good

"Mathoms From the Time Closet" -- "1: Robot's Story", "2: Against The Lafayette Escadrille" and "3: Loco Parentis" by Gene Wolfe - good

"Time Travel For Pedestrians" by Ray Nelson - ok

"The Big Space Fuck" by Kurt Vonnegut - funny

"Bounty" by T. L. Sherred - excellent

"Still-Life" by K. M. O'Donnell (Barry N. Malzberg)- dull

"Stoned Counsel" by H. H. Hollis - excellent

"Monitored Dreams & Strategic Cremations" -- 1: "The Bisquit Position" and 2: "The Girl With Rapid Eye Movements" by Bernard Wolfe - well written and effective but not SF - also a bigoted rant against science in the afterword which was extremely off-putting.

"With A Finger in My I" by David Gerrold - funny and strange.

"In the Barn" by Piers Anthony - a bit sledgehammer

"Soundless Evening" by Lee Hoffman - ok

(the title is an ink blot) by Gahan Wilson - ok

"The Test-Tube Creature, Afterward" by Joan Bernott - ok

"And the Sea Like Mirrors" by Gregory Benford - good

"Bed Sheets Are White" by Evelyn Lief - quite good

"Tissue": "At the Fitting Shop" and "53rd American Dream" by James Sallis - excellent and surreal

"Elouise And The Doctors of the Planet Pergamon" by Josephine Saxton - quite good

"Chuck Berry, Won't You Please Come Home" by Ken McCullough - forgettable

"A Mouse in the Walls of the Global Village" by Dean R. Koontz - disturbing

"Getting Along" by James Blish and Judith Ann Lawrence - excellent and funny

"Totenbuch" by A Parra (Y Figueredo) - dull and irritating

"Things Lost" by Thomas M. Disch - dull

"With the Bentfin Boomer Boys on Little Old New Alabama" by Richard A. Lupoff - very good

"Lamia Mutable" by M John Harrison - excellent

"Last Train to Kankakee" by Robin Scott - good

"Empire of the Sun" by Andrew Weiner - good

"Ozymandias" by Terry Carr - ok

"The Milk of Paradise" by James Tiptree, Jr. - excellent ( )
  SChant | Jun 22, 2014 |
I need to replace the cover with the one that's actually on the front of the book, which seems to be a catch all cover for everything from "e-reads.com" (and this is the very *first* time I've ever heard of them). On to the important stuff.

This was meant to be the second of three, but Harlan gave up on the third years and years ago. This was originally published in 1972 (and I wish that I still had that copy), and had been long awaited. I'm a bit concerned about this e-reads thing, since what I have is different than what Amazon shows (and different, slightly, from the description on Amazon). Although the credits inside say the cover art is a photo by Stathis Orphanos, the back cover lists Leo and Diane Dillon as the artists (and recognizing the work of people who have often done the cover art for Ellison's work, I credited them).

That photo credit goes with the photo of Harlan that is shown on most of the current Amazon books listed by e-reads.

It's a remarkable work, filled with names that names that were new then, sometimes names that are gone now, and those that were present only in this collection, and never again. I've actually seen a couple of reviewers mention that they've read "The Last Dangerous Visions" (a couple of them also seem to be reviewing here, on LT). Nope. Never happened. The Wikipedia article for it says that it's still in the planning. I'd buy it. No matter the price. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Dec 3, 2013 |
A mammoth achievement of speculative fiction. ADV is even better than its predecessor and makes it all the worse that The Last Dangerous Visions has not been published (over 40 years after it was promised). Overall, my tastes matched up with Ellison's and I really enjoyed his introductions. I was surprised to find several authors here I already read in ADV. ( )
  albertgoldfain | May 26, 2012 |

This is the famous follow-up volume to the even more famous Dangerous Visions; an anthology of 41 stories, mainly by the leading lights of sf as it was in 1972, with vast amounts of prefatory material by editor Harlan Ellison and an afterword from each author, and nice art from Ed Emshwiller introducing each story.

But what is striking is how unmemorable and self-indulgent most of the stories are (also true of Ellison's long-winded prefaces). The three best are definitely Ursula Le Guin's "The Word for World is Forest", Joanna Russ's "When it Changed", and James Tiptree Jr's "The Milk of Paradise"; interestingly all three have the same basic plot, of an unspoilt planet being wrecked by us humans. Many of the others are just silly, Kurt Vonnegut being particularly proud of Using Rude Words To Be Grown-Up. In fact, the only other one I enjoyed was James Blish's erotic pastiche "Getting Along", which parodies numerous High Gothic writers - I particularly liked his riff on The Moon Pool.

But four memorable stories out of 41 is a very poor strike rate. I couldn't in all conscience recommend anyone to spend money on this collection, and I am wondering, heretically, if it is really such a shame that the third volume of the series never appeared. ( )
2 vote nwhyte | Jan 17, 2008 |

Wilson, GahanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolfe, BernardContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolfe, GeneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
FOR BRIAN & LAURAINE KIRBY...and baby makes three
Introduction:  Dumas wrote The Three Musketeers in 1844.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,535,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible