dismiss

Deception Point by Dan Brown

Deception Point (2001)

by Dan Brown

When a NASA satellite discovers an astonishingly rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice, the floundering space agency proclaims a much-needed victory -- a victory with profound implications for NASA policy and the impending presidential election. To verify the the find, the White House calls upon intelligence analyst Rachel Sexton. Accompanied by a team of experts, Rachel travels to the Arctic and uncovers the unthinkable: evidence of scientific trickery -- a bold deception that threatens to plunge the world into controversy. But before she can warn the President, Rachel and Michael are ambushed by a deadly team of assassins.… (more)
Recently added byYoli1977, Reem.Amgad, whitneylempey, blackwaterlilies, rena40, private library, Glotin, ramanann
    Digital Fortress by Dan Brown (wolfjack)
    Ice Hunt by James Rollins (Scottneumann)
    The Rossler Foundation Mysteries by JC Ryan (JenniferRobb)
    The American Mission by Matthew Palmer (aagbay)
    aagbay: Both books are high stakes thrillers that whose writing seems fairly similar. Both are enjoyable reads and have those plot twists and interesting turns.
    The Terror by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Ice Limit by Douglas Preston (Scottneumann)
    Terminal Freeze by Lincoln Child (Scottneumann)

English (199)  German (10)  Dutch (8)  French (4)  Italian (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (234)
Well written, suspenseful, exciting fiction that kept me turning pages every time I picked it up. After trying several works of suspense writing from other writers last year and being disappointed in them, I was delighted to find something that made me want to read it and satisfied me when I had. The characters are drawn well, the plot hangs together, the action escalates as it ought to in a thriller, the details support the action and the overall result is a wonderful read that lovers of good, tight suspense novels will surely enjoy. ( )
  Paul-the-well-read | Apr 18, 2020 |
I really don't think this is his best and not only do I not think this is his best, but it may be his worst, so I feel I'm being generous in giving it three stars. Not recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 7, 2020 |
READ IN DUTCH

Well, that certainly was a deception.

Someone recommended me this book, saying how good and thrilling it was. Every time she tries to convince me to read a certain book now, I'm instantaneously suspicious. Because I really didn't like this one.

It was very boring, for a start, and then -BIG surprise- conspiracies, shootings, life threatening situations, and oh, it's also extremely cold. For me this was Dan Brown's weakest book, it took me 2 attempts and quite some time to finish it. ( )
1 vote Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Mayores de 18 años
  Alba26 | Aug 22, 2019 |
I was just talking with a friend about I sometimes will pick out a book and not realize I've already read it until I get to a certain point in the story and will remember something I shouldn't know at that point. I kind of had that feeling with this book though my online bookshelves don't show I've read it in the past--so I don't know if it is just Brown's formulaic plot or if I read something else with similar storyline.

POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT
****

There's a scientific angle of the supposed discovery of a meteorite containing fossils. There's the political angle of two men vying for the presidency with NASA being a point of contention between the two.

What I liked:
-once the plot got going, it was gripping
-the plot kept me guessing. I was sure Tench was in on it until the reveal on the Goya.
-There was a good balance of information the reader needed to know to understand (both on meteorites and on sea life) but it didn't read like an information dump like some of the Langdon books do.
-Herney is trying his best to be an honest and non-negative politician in a world that doesn't thrive on that type of person.

What I didn't like:
-Senator Sexton's disregard for his daughter and for his aide. He's willing to use them and discard them.
-The plot was somewhat formulaic for both Brown and for a thriller ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jul 21, 2019 |
It's an excellent thriller a big yet believable story unfolding at breakneck pace, with convincing settings and just the right blend of likable and hateful characters. He's also done his research, folding in sophisticated scientific and military details that make his plot far more fulfilling than the norm.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 10, 2001)

Brown, DanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frezza Pavese, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pavese, LeonardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Poe, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If this discovery is confirmed, it will surely be one of the most stunning insights into our universe that science has ever uncovered. Its implications are as far-reaching and awe-inspiring as can be imagined. Even as it promises answers to some of out oldest questions, it poses still others even more fundamental.
-President Bill Clinton, in a press conference following a discovery known as ALH84001 on August 7, 1996
Death, in this forsaken place, could come in countless forms.
Als deze ontdekking juist blijkt te zijn, vormt die ongetwijfeld een van de belangrijkste bijdragen aan onze kennis van het heelal die de wetenschap ooit heeft geleverd. De consequenties zijn ontzagwekkend en verreikend. En terwijl enkele van onze oudste vragen nu lijken te worden beantwoord, worden er ook nieuwe, nog fundamentelere opgeworpen.

- President Bill Clinton op 07 augustus 1997, in een persconferentie naar aanleiding van een ontdekking die wordt aangeduid als ALH84001
"Deception Point" was sold as Meteor in Germany. They should remain combined. Thank you.

Kad NASA-in satelit otkrije rijedak predmet zakopan duboko u arktičkom ledu, posrnula svemirska agencija oduševljeno objavljuje to otkriće koje će imati dalekosežne posljedice za politiku NASA-e i na-stupajuće predsjedničke izbore. Kako bi potvrdila vjerodostojnost pronalaska, Bijela kuća angažira stručnu analitičarku obavještajne službe Rachel Sexton. Zajedno s drugim stručnjacima, uključujući karizmatskog znanstvenika MichaelaTollanda, Rachel će otputovati na Arktik gdje otkriva nešto nezamislivo: dokaze o znanstvenoj obmani koja bi mogla zavaditi svijet. No, prije nego što uspiju upozoriti predsjednika, Rachel i Michaela napada ekipa plaćenih ubojica. Dok bježe preko opustošenog i opasnog krajolika, svjesni su da mogu spasiti živote samo ako otkriju tko stoji iza ove majstorski isplanirane zavjere. No ono što će otkriti najveća je obmana! Velika obmana uglađena je i beskrajno zabavna kombinacija akcije i intrige, još jedan velik romaneskni uspjeh Dana Browna, autora proslavljenih bestselera Da Vincijev kod i Anđeli i demoni, koji ovim romanom ponovno pokazuje svu raskoš i majstorstvo svog pripovjedačkog talenta.

Als die NASA mithilfe modernster Satelliten-Technologie in der Arktis eine sensationelle Entdeckung macht, wittert die angeschlagene Raumfahrtbehörde Morgenluft. Tief im Eis verborgen liegt ein Meteor von ungewöhnlicher Größe, der zudem eine außerirdische Lebensform zu bergen scheint. Rachel Sexton, Mitarbeiterin des Geheimdienstes, reist im Auftrag des US-Präsidenten zum Fundort des Meteoriten. Doch es gibt eine Macht im Hintergrund, die die bahnbrechende Entdeckung unter Verschluss halten möchte ═ und die bereit ist, dafür zu töten

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,708,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible