Deception Point by Dan Brown

Deception Point (original 2001; edition 2006)

by Dan Brown

14,287None141 (3.31)87
Member:Nate79
Title:Deception Point
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Washington Square Press (2006), Paperback, 464 pages

Deception Point by Dan Brown (2001)

(25) action (51) adventure (123) American (25) Arctic (80) audiobook (30) Brown (36) conspiracy (123) crime (52) crime fiction (26) Dan Brown (135) ebook (29) fiction (1,151) mystery (376) Mystery/Thriller (22) NASA (139) novel (129) own (59) paperback (60) politics (45) read (197) Roman (26) science (33) science fiction (78) suspense (248) technology (21) thriller (784) to-read (69) unread (45) USA (22)

English (158)  German (8)  Dutch (7)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (185)
I am always blown away by dan brown. He manages to pack super fast paced action with twists and turns I would have never expected. ( )
  JessicaofAbbey | Mar 28, 2014 |
This was the last Dan Brown book I had to read. Now I finished them all, whoohoo!

Rachel Sexton is called to the office of her boss. He says the president of the United States demands to speak to her, now. He already sent a plane to pick her up. She goes in the plane and it flies north. After an hour she wonders why she hasn't landed yet, since it isn't too far. It appears the plane goes to the north pole, where Rachel Sexton is asked to tell the staff of the presisdent about a special meteorite.

But there are weird things with the meteorite and there happen weird things on the northpole. What's wrong with all this? Why are there people getting killed?

It was a typical Dan Brown book. Always when I finish one of his books, I feel like I've learned things (though I don't know if everything is correct in the books). I liked this book. It was exciting and everything was unexpected for me. Too bad I read all his books now! ( )
  MarjoleinL | Mar 2, 2014 |
Fairly formulaic, especially if you're expecting books like Dan Brown's more recent (and more popular) books. Story centers around NASA finding a meteorite with fossils buried in the Arctic. Certainly it had its twists and turns, it wasn't boring by any means.... but it wasn't The DaVinci Code or even Digital Fortress. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 17, 2014 |
Of the spy thriller genre, this book might be good for someone learning English because its simple, as if for a young reader: words, characters, plot -- a Harlequin Romance with spies -- predictable, stereotypical, and formulaic.

After page turning through roughly twenty mini-chapters I hit the first punch line, what all the suspense was leading to: NASA had discovered a meteor with insects from another planet. I felt like a kid at Christmas getting a three-pack of Sears underwear : "That's it? Even if it is true, so what?" At that point I was so not sucked into any more of the story, didn't much care about the stock characters, the plastic tv president, his nyah-ha-ha evil political opponent, the media stars, the nerd guy scientists, the brilliant ugly woman political advisor, the brilliant gorgeous woman intelligence agent, and all that stereotypical stuff. I skipped to the end, learned who the bad guys were -- oh BIG surprise -- and closed the book never to return. Life is way too short.

grheault | Jan 30, 2014 |
Dan Brown is one of the more well known of authors in United States. His series chronicling the adventures of Robert Langdon have gone on to be one if the most successful series in the world. A lesser known book, Deception Point, is actually one of my favorites of all of his works. It's full of twists and turns. But the biggest problem is the plot, which is simply a copy of his other novels but set around different circumstances.

Deception Point revolves around the story of a major NASA discovery amidst a string of failures and controversy. The findings will have a major impact for humankind and it has come during a pivotal moment in the race for the presidency of te United States. What follows is a roller-coaster ride from the Artic Circle to the heart of Washington D.C. as the story slowly unravels its secrets in a very-well planned manner. The whole premise of the novel is based the notion of surprise, so I don't want to give away too much, but there were some very interesting plot twists throughout the book that kept me on my toes as I made my way through the story.

If this is one of the first books by Dan Brown that you read, it is probably going make for a much better read than if you have read many of his others. The thing is, Deception Point is structured very much like all the rest of Brown's novs. Even the characters are just recasts of the same mould he uses for every single book.In this case, Rachel Sexton, the daughter of the candidate running for the Presidency against the current President and also the White House Liason for the NRO (National Reconnaissance Office). She is the typical protagonist of Brown's novels: intelligent and very resourceful, Rachel finds herself thrown into and whole different world as everything she knew is challenged and now she is tasked with preventing a major disaster (Sounds like something familiar?). And, of course, you have the other secondary characters present: the strong and respected figure that the protagonist has looked up to and also a romantic interest that develops over the course of the story.

I've read all of Dan Brown's books at least once or twice and this formula is definitely getting a little bit old. Deception Point is one of the first novels he ever published, but it's still a bit worrying to see that not much has changed from book to book. Compared to his previous novel, Digital Fortress, this book is simply the SAME exact plot with different characters and subject matter.

I do really like the subject he took on and felt that he does a very good job at bringing out the finer details and points of the story. I'm a huge NASA fan and this book deals with something that I'm fascinated with. Brown does a good job of bringing the story to life and really integrating strong factual basis into crafting a compelling story.

Deception Point on its own is a very great novel. It has all the makings of a great thriller: numerous plot twists, strong subject matter, and a well-paced plot. However, it falls short due to the fact that it really is just the same old story told again. For fans of Dan Brown books: don't expect any deviation from the tried and true formula he has worked on over the part few years. Still, it's entertaining to read. ( )
  Plyte | Sep 28, 2013 |
It's an excellent thriller a big yet believable story unfolding at breakneck pace, with convincing settings and just the right blend of likable and hateful characters. He's also done his research, folding in sophisticated scientific and military details that make his plot far more fulfilling than the norm.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 10, 2001)

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If this discovery is confirmed, it will surely be one of the most stunning insights into our universe that science has ever uncovered. Its implications are as far-reaching and awe-inspiring as can be imagined. Even as it promises answers to some of out oldest questions, it poses still others even more fundamental.
-President Bill Clinton, in a press conference following a discovery known as ALH84001 on August 7, 1996
Death, in this forsaken place, could come in countless forms.
Als deze ontdekking juist blijkt te zijn, vormt die ongetwijfeld een van de belangrijkste bijdragen aan onze kennis van het heelal die de wetenschap ooit heeft geleverd. De consequenties zijn ontzagwekkend en verreikend. En terwijl enkele van onze oudste vragen nu lijken te worden beantwoord, worden er ook nieuwe, nog fundamentelere opgeworpen.

- President Bill Clinton op 07 augustus 1997, in een persconferentie naar aanleiding van een ontdekking die wordt aangeduid als ALH84001
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Kad NASA-in satelit otkrije rijedak predmet zakopan duboko u arktičkom ledu, posrnula svemirska agencija oduševljeno objavljuje to otkriće koje će imati dalekosežne posljedice za politiku NASA-e i na-stupajuće predsjedničke izbore. Kako bi potvrdila vjerodostojnost pronalaska, Bijela kuća angažira stručnu analitičarku obavještajne službe Rachel Sexton. Zajedno s drugim stručnjacima, uključujući karizmatskog znanstvenika MichaelaTollanda, Rachel će otputovati na Arktik gdje otkriva nešto nezamislivo: dokaze o znanstvenoj obmani koja bi mogla zavaditi svijet. No, prije nego što uspiju upozoriti predsjednika, Rachel i Michaela napada ekipa plaćenih ubojica. Dok bježe preko opustošenog i opasnog krajolika, svjesni su da mogu spasiti živote samo ako otkriju tko stoji iza ove majstorski isplanirane zavjere. No ono što će otkriti najveća je obmana! Velika obmana uglađena je i beskrajno zabavna kombinacija akcije i intrige, još jedan velik romaneskni uspjeh Dana Browna, autora proslavljenih bestselera Da Vincijev kod i Anđeli i demoni, koji ovim romanom ponovno pokazuje svu raskoš i majstorstvo svog pripovjedačkog talenta.

Als die NASA mithilfe modernster Satelliten-Technologie in der Arktis eine sensationelle Entdeckung macht, wittert die angeschlagene Raumfahrtbehörde Morgenluft. Tief im Eis verborgen liegt ein Meteor von ungewöhnlicher Größe, der zudem eine außerirdische Lebensform zu bergen scheint. Rachel Sexton, Mitarbeiterin des Geheimdienstes, reist im Auftrag des US-Präsidenten zum Fundort des Meteoriten. Doch es gibt eine Macht im Hintergrund, die die bahnbrechende Entdeckung unter Verschluss halten möchte ═ und die bereit ist, dafür zu töten

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027387, Paperback)

Penzler Pick, December 2001: In the world of page-turning thrillers, Dan Brown holds a special place in the hearts of many of us. After his first book, Digital Fortress, almost passed me by, he wrote Angels and Demons, which was probably one of the half-dozen most exciting thrillers of last year. It is a pleasure to report that his new book lives up to his reputation as a writer whose research and talent make his stories exciting, believable, and just plain unputdownable.

The time is now and President Zachary Herney is facing a very tough reelection. His opponent, Senator Sedgwick Sexton, is a powerful man with powerful friends and a mission: to reduce NASA's spending and move space exploration into the private sector. He has numerous supporters, including many beyond the businesses who will profit from this because of the embarrassment of 1996, when the Clinton administration was informed by NASA that proof existed of life on other planets. That information turned out to be premature, if not incorrect. (This story is true; I repeat, Dan Brown's research is very, very good.) The embattled president is assured that a rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice will prove to have far-reaching implications on America's space program. The find, however, needs to be verified.

Enter Rachel Sexton, a gister for the National Reconnaissance Office. Gisters reduce complex reports into single-page briefs, and in this case the president needs that confirmation before he broadcasts to the nation, probably ensuring his reelection. It's tricky because Rachel is the daughter of his opponent. Rachel is thrilled to be on the team traveling to the Arctic circle. She is a realist about her father's politics and has little respect for his stand on NASA, but Senator Sexton cannot help but have a problem with her involvement.

Adventure, romance, murder, skullduggery, and nail-biting tension ensue. By the end of Deception Point, the reader will be much better informed about how our space program works and how our politicians react to new information. Bring on the next Dan Brown thriller! --Otto Penzler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:06 -0400)

When a NASA satellite discovers an astonishingly rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice, the floundering space agency proclaims a much-needed victory: a victory with profound implications for NASA policy and the impending presidential election. To verify the authenticity of the find, the White House calls upon the skills of intelligence analyst Rachel Sexton. Accompanied by a team of experts, including the charismatic scholar Michael Tolland, Rachel travels to the Arctic and uncovers the unthinkable: evidence of scientific trickery, a bold deception that threatens to plunge the world into controversy.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible