Deception Point by Dan Brown

Deception Point (original 2001; edition 2006)

by Dan Brown

14,506192138 (3.31)98
Member:Nate79
Title:Deception Point
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Washington Square Press (2006), Paperback, 464 pages

Deception Point by Dan Brown (2001)

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown (wolfjack)
    Ice Hunt by James Rollins (Scottneumann)
    The American Mission by Matthew Palmer (Plyte)
    Plyte: Both books are high stakes thrillers that whose writing seems fairly similar. Both are enjoyable reads and have those plot twists and interesting turns.
    Terminal Freeze by Lincoln Child (Scottneumann)
    The Ice Limit by Douglas Preston (Scottneumann)
    The Terror by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (165)  German (8)  Dutch (7)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (192)
Politics, scandal, betrayal, conspiracy, characters that you love, and ones that give you a skin crawly feeling, this book has it all!
I picked this book up on a whim at my library, enjoying other Dan Brown books, but not sure quite what to expect from this one. I wasn't disappointed with it. It kept me reading far past when I should have been asleep. Rooting on the unlikely heroes, enjoying the quirky characters, and not quite knowing who was trustworthy or not.
Though not usually one to read too many political based books, I am very glad I picked this one up and gave it a chance. It kept my interest, grated on my nerves, had me guessing who was behind what, up until the surprise reveal of the ones behind everything.
  beckdg | Nov 22, 2014 |
  beckdg | Nov 22, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

Well, that certainly was a deception.

Someone recommended me this book, saying how good and thrilling it was. Every time she tries to convince me to read a certain book now, I'm instantaneously suspicious. Because I really didn't like this one.

It was very boring, for a start, and then -BIG surprise- conspiracies, shootings, life threatening situations, and oh, it's also extremely cold. For me this was Dan Brown's weakest book, it took me 2 attempts and quite some time to finish it. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
This whole series is really useful. I have several for specific cities & the latest one for Iceland. They are frequently updated to ensure info is current & relevant.
Includes, history, sights, currency, laws, medical , how to get around, hotels, restaurants, stores/shopping, customs and more.
They are particularly handy due to their small size so easy to carry with you & I always use the maps provided inside detailing specific city streets, location of attractions & rail/metro/bus routes.
They are popular with my friends & family who raid my library to plan & take trips & I can honestly say every one of them has been a great help. ( )
  RowingRabbit | Sep 14, 2014 |
The Langdon novels were not badly done, but by the time we got to The Lost Symbol, Dan lost some of his originality and suspense. They were not bad books but one could pretty much surmise what was going to happen shortly.

One cannot say the same for Deception Point. Yes, we have the first chapter with a murder on our hands. Then we have the woman, Rachel, who gets to check out a new discovery by NASA. She's also the daughter of the senator that is running against the president in the current election.

The chapters run pretty smoothly at this point. The reader suspects something is up that the characters have yet to discover. We also are led to believe that certain people are the bad guys and are never really told who is pulling the strings.

The characterization is not badly done, either. Unlike the Langdon novels which go for chapters explaining the deep inner secrets of the Vatican, secret White House tunnels or jumping out of helicopters, we're spared that! Rather, we have some scientific mumbo jumbo to make the story plausible: a meteorite that has what appears to be alien fossils embedded inside it, at 190 million years old!

But why is Rachel called up to find it? And what's up with this Michael Tolland guy? And why does Dan Brown write about Michael's tragic death of his newlywed wife of a decade ago?

Does this meteorite really contain alien life? Holy Moley!

I did enjoy the secret government plots; the sinister secret Delta Force which has no morality at all as they put people away -- they're all "targets" anyway. The NASA station at the Arctic; the underdeveloped character called Gabrielle and her disillusionment over her support of Senator Sexton.

To summarize, the book details covert government plotting, what some people will do when desperate to save their own necks; and the deception not only from these sources, but personal deception as well -- lying to oneself to protect oneself, dealing with fear of water and fear of relationships.

It's a complex book, clearly a "guy" novel. Better than the Langdon novels, although you can easily see the beginnings of the formulaic writing that becomes a prominent icon of his later books. Recommended.

jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
It's an excellent thriller a big yet believable story unfolding at breakneck pace, with convincing settings and just the right blend of likable and hateful characters. He's also done his research, folding in sophisticated scientific and military details that make his plot far more fulfilling than the norm.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 10, 2001)

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If this discovery is confirmed, it will surely be one of the most stunning insights into our universe that science has ever uncovered. Its implications are as far-reaching and awe-inspiring as can be imagined. Even as it promises answers to some of out oldest questions, it poses still others even more fundamental.
-President Bill Clinton, in a press conference following a discovery known as ALH84001 on August 7, 1996
Death, in this forsaken place, could come in countless forms.
Als deze ontdekking juist blijkt te zijn, vormt die ongetwijfeld een van de belangrijkste bijdragen aan onze kennis van het heelal die de wetenschap ooit heeft geleverd. De consequenties zijn ontzagwekkend en verreikend. En terwijl enkele van onze oudste vragen nu lijken te worden beantwoord, worden er ook nieuwe, nog fundamentelere opgeworpen.

- President Bill Clinton op 07 augustus 1997, in een persconferentie naar aanleiding van een ontdekking die wordt aangeduid als ALH84001
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Kad NASA-in satelit otkrije rijedak predmet zakopan duboko u arktičkom ledu, posrnula svemirska agencija oduševljeno objavljuje to otkriće koje će imati dalekosežne posljedice za politiku NASA-e i na-stupajuće predsjedničke izbore. Kako bi potvrdila vjerodostojnost pronalaska, Bijela kuća angažira stručnu analitičarku obavještajne službe Rachel Sexton. Zajedno s drugim stručnjacima, uključujući karizmatskog znanstvenika MichaelaTollanda, Rachel će otputovati na Arktik gdje otkriva nešto nezamislivo: dokaze o znanstvenoj obmani koja bi mogla zavaditi svijet. No, prije nego što uspiju upozoriti predsjednika, Rachel i Michaela napada ekipa plaćenih ubojica. Dok bježe preko opustošenog i opasnog krajolika, svjesni su da mogu spasiti živote samo ako otkriju tko stoji iza ove majstorski isplanirane zavjere. No ono što će otkriti najveća je obmana! Velika obmana uglađena je i beskrajno zabavna kombinacija akcije i intrige, još jedan velik romaneskni uspjeh Dana Browna, autora proslavljenih bestselera Da Vincijev kod i Anđeli i demoni, koji ovim romanom ponovno pokazuje svu raskoš i majstorstvo svog pripovjedačkog talenta.

Als die NASA mithilfe modernster Satelliten-Technologie in der Arktis eine sensationelle Entdeckung macht, wittert die angeschlagene Raumfahrtbehörde Morgenluft. Tief im Eis verborgen liegt ein Meteor von ungewöhnlicher Größe, der zudem eine außerirdische Lebensform zu bergen scheint. Rachel Sexton, Mitarbeiterin des Geheimdienstes, reist im Auftrag des US-Präsidenten zum Fundort des Meteoriten. Doch es gibt eine Macht im Hintergrund, die die bahnbrechende Entdeckung unter Verschluss halten möchte ═ und die bereit ist, dafür zu töten

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027387, Paperback)

Penzler Pick, December 2001: In the world of page-turning thrillers, Dan Brown holds a special place in the hearts of many of us. After his first book, Digital Fortress, almost passed me by, he wrote Angels and Demons, which was probably one of the half-dozen most exciting thrillers of last year. It is a pleasure to report that his new book lives up to his reputation as a writer whose research and talent make his stories exciting, believable, and just plain unputdownable.

The time is now and President Zachary Herney is facing a very tough reelection. His opponent, Senator Sedgwick Sexton, is a powerful man with powerful friends and a mission: to reduce NASA's spending and move space exploration into the private sector. He has numerous supporters, including many beyond the businesses who will profit from this because of the embarrassment of 1996, when the Clinton administration was informed by NASA that proof existed of life on other planets. That information turned out to be premature, if not incorrect. (This story is true; I repeat, Dan Brown's research is very, very good.) The embattled president is assured that a rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice will prove to have far-reaching implications on America's space program. The find, however, needs to be verified.

Enter Rachel Sexton, a gister for the National Reconnaissance Office. Gisters reduce complex reports into single-page briefs, and in this case the president needs that confirmation before he broadcasts to the nation, probably ensuring his reelection. It's tricky because Rachel is the daughter of his opponent. Rachel is thrilled to be on the team traveling to the Arctic circle. She is a realist about her father's politics and has little respect for his stand on NASA, but Senator Sexton cannot help but have a problem with her involvement.

Adventure, romance, murder, skullduggery, and nail-biting tension ensue. By the end of Deception Point, the reader will be much better informed about how our space program works and how our politicians react to new information. Bring on the next Dan Brown thriller! --Otto Penzler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:06 -0400)

When a NASA satellite discovers an astonishingly rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice, the floundering space agency proclaims a much-needed victory: a victory with profound implications for NASA policy and the impending presidential election. To verify the authenticity of the find, the White House calls upon the skills of intelligence analyst Rachel Sexton. Accompanied by a team of experts, including the charismatic scholar Michael Tolland, Rachel travels to the Arctic and uncovers the unthinkable: evidence of scientific trickery, a bold deception that threatens to plunge the world into controversy.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,018,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible