Deception Point by Dan Brown

Deception Point (original 2001; edition 2006)

by Dan Brown

Title:Deception Point
Authors:Dan Brown
Info:Washington Square Press (2006), Paperback, 464 pages

Deception Point by Dan Brown (2001)

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown (wolfjack)
    Ice Hunt by James Rollins (Scottneumann)
    The American Mission by Matthew Palmer (Plyte)
    Plyte: Both books are high stakes thrillers that whose writing seems fairly similar. Both are enjoyable reads and have those plot twists and interesting turns.
    Terminal Freeze by Lincoln Child (Scottneumann)
    The Ice Limit by Douglas Preston (Scottneumann)
    The Terror by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (180)  German (9)  Dutch (7)  French (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (211)
Dan Brown is one of my favourite adult fiction authors, as I think he writes a really great thriller novel. When I found this novel in my local charity shop, I just had to buy it, so I could read another.

I have been very busy with school recently so I had very little time to read this novel, so it took me slightly longer than a Dan Brown novel would normally take. I don't know why, but I just couldn't get into this novel properly at all. It felt as if Dan Brown had just written the same novel again, except he had changed the names of his main characters. It felt predictable to me and I was disappointed that he couldn't think of anything unique to write, so he just churned out another book with the same formulaic feel as his last.

I can't even really remember what this novel was about, but I remember that it was quite fast paced, with a lot of action in it. It also had a reasonable twist at the end, with the reveal of who was the "baddie" in the book, of course this was someone totally unexpected.

The two main characters are Rachel and Michael, who are supposedly "normal" people, thrust into these situations. As per most Dan Brown novels, these two characters are attracted to each other, and end up together. Also they both have something in their past that is a weakness, something that the other can get emotional when told about it. This is very similar to all other Dan Brown books, and although these relationships are written nicely, I still felt a bit cheated.

One thing I do like about Dan Brown's books is his writing style. He writes in a nice, concise way, with a great ability to keep the reader in the dark about various plotlines.

I know this is a very short review, and I do apologise, but I just don't have many feelings about this novel. Overall I gave it 3/5 as I still liked it even though. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
Good story. ( )
  LeeMac | Sep 8, 2016 |
I read this book when I was deployed to Iraq, one of the first novels I ever read. This book had me jumping out of my seat with every chapter. This thing was a true page turner. The ending had me in shock. I really wish they had adapted this into a movie, but now I feel it would be a little too late. This book solidified Dan Brown as one of my favorite authors. ( )
  AdomSample | Aug 8, 2016 |
man writes a great intrigue

When a new NASA satellite spots evidence of an astonishingly rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice, the floundering space agency proclaims a much-needed victory...a victory that has profound implications for U.S. space policy and the impending presidential election. With the Oval Office in the balance, the President dispatches White House Intelligence analyst Rachel Sexton to the Milne Ice Shelf to verify the authenticity of the find. Accompanied by a team of experts, including the charismatic academic Michael Tolland, Rachel uncovers the unthinkable: evidence of scientific trickery -- a bold deception that threatens to plunge the world into controversy.
  christinejoseph | Jul 31, 2016 |
Is the Meteorite in fact real, and if not, how could NASA have possibly tricked some of the most brilliant scientific minds of the country? Is the President IN on this possible scandal, or is he a pawn of someone infinitely more devious? What about Senator Sexton? Is he who he says he is? Are his motives clean and pure, or is he just as bad as those attempting to fraud the world? There are some honest-to-goodness twists & turns you can expect in 'Deception Point' and a few genuine surprises along the way. Always fun and actually quite educational about the workings of NASA and it answers the question of why don't we see more privately funded companies winning contracts to launch into space? Get to know Dan Brown, do it today! You will NOT be disappointed. Highly Recommended ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
It's an excellent thriller a big yet believable story unfolding at breakneck pace, with convincing settings and just the right blend of likable and hateful characters. He's also done his research, folding in sophisticated scientific and military details that make his plot far more fulfilling than the norm.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 10, 2001)

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If this discovery is confirmed, it will surely be one of the most stunning insights into our universe that science has ever uncovered. Its implications are as far-reaching and awe-inspiring as can be imagined. Even as it promises answers to some of out oldest questions, it poses still others even more fundamental.
-President Bill Clinton, in a press conference following a discovery known as ALH84001 on August 7, 1996
Death, in this forsaken place, could come in countless forms.
Als deze ontdekking juist blijkt te zijn, vormt die ongetwijfeld een van de belangrijkste bijdragen aan onze kennis van het heelal die de wetenschap ooit heeft geleverd. De consequenties zijn ontzagwekkend en verreikend. En terwijl enkele van onze oudste vragen nu lijken te worden beantwoord, worden er ook nieuwe, nog fundamentelere opgeworpen.

- President Bill Clinton op 07 augustus 1997, in een persconferentie naar aanleiding van een ontdekking die wordt aangeduid als ALH84001
"Deception Point" was sold as Meteor in Germany. They should remain combined. Thank you.

Kad NASA-in satelit otkrije rijedak predmet zakopan duboko u arktičkom ledu, posrnula svemirska agencija oduševljeno objavljuje to otkriće koje će imati dalekosežne posljedice za politiku NASA-e i na-stupajuće predsjedničke izbore. Kako bi potvrdila vjerodostojnost pronalaska, Bijela kuća angažira stručnu analitičarku obavještajne službe Rachel Sexton. Zajedno s drugim stručnjacima, uključujući karizmatskog znanstvenika MichaelaTollanda, Rachel će otputovati na Arktik gdje otkriva nešto nezamislivo: dokaze o znanstvenoj obmani koja bi mogla zavaditi svijet. No, prije nego što uspiju upozoriti predsjednika, Rachel i Michaela napada ekipa plaćenih ubojica. Dok bježe preko opustošenog i opasnog krajolika, svjesni su da mogu spasiti živote samo ako otkriju tko stoji iza ove majstorski isplanirane zavjere. No ono što će otkriti najveća je obmana! Velika obmana uglađena je i beskrajno zabavna kombinacija akcije i intrige, još jedan velik romaneskni uspjeh Dana Browna, autora proslavljenih bestselera Da Vincijev kod i Anđeli i demoni, koji ovim romanom ponovno pokazuje svu raskoš i majstorstvo svog pripovjedačkog talenta.

Als die NASA mithilfe modernster Satelliten-Technologie in der Arktis eine sensationelle Entdeckung macht, wittert die angeschlagene Raumfahrtbehörde Morgenluft. Tief im Eis verborgen liegt ein Meteor von ungewöhnlicher Größe, der zudem eine außerirdische Lebensform zu bergen scheint. Rachel Sexton, Mitarbeiterin des Geheimdienstes, reist im Auftrag des US-Präsidenten zum Fundort des Meteoriten. Doch es gibt eine Macht im Hintergrund, die die bahnbrechende Entdeckung unter Verschluss halten möchte ═ und die bereit ist, dafür zu töten

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671027387, Paperback)

Penzler Pick, December 2001: In the world of page-turning thrillers, Dan Brown holds a special place in the hearts of many of us. After his first book, Digital Fortress, almost passed me by, he wrote Angels and Demons, which was probably one of the half-dozen most exciting thrillers of last year. It is a pleasure to report that his new book lives up to his reputation as a writer whose research and talent make his stories exciting, believable, and just plain unputdownable.

The time is now and President Zachary Herney is facing a very tough reelection. His opponent, Senator Sedgwick Sexton, is a powerful man with powerful friends and a mission: to reduce NASA's spending and move space exploration into the private sector. He has numerous supporters, including many beyond the businesses who will profit from this because of the embarrassment of 1996, when the Clinton administration was informed by NASA that proof existed of life on other planets. That information turned out to be premature, if not incorrect. (This story is true; I repeat, Dan Brown's research is very, very good.) The embattled president is assured that a rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice will prove to have far-reaching implications on America's space program. The find, however, needs to be verified.

Enter Rachel Sexton, a gister for the National Reconnaissance Office. Gisters reduce complex reports into single-page briefs, and in this case the president needs that confirmation before he broadcasts to the nation, probably ensuring his reelection. It's tricky because Rachel is the daughter of his opponent. Rachel is thrilled to be on the team traveling to the Arctic circle. She is a realist about her father's politics and has little respect for his stand on NASA, but Senator Sexton cannot help but have a problem with her involvement.

Adventure, romance, murder, skullduggery, and nail-biting tension ensue. By the end of Deception Point, the reader will be much better informed about how our space program works and how our politicians react to new information. Bring on the next Dan Brown thriller! --Otto Penzler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:48 -0400)

When a NASA satellite discovers an astonishingly rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice, the floundering space agency proclaims a much-needed victory -- a victory with profound implications for NASA policy and the impending presidential election. To verify the find, the White House calls upon intelligence analyst Rachel Sexton. Accompanied by a team of experts, Rachel travels to the Arctic and uncovers the unthinkable: evidence of scientific trickery -- a bold deception that threatens to plunge the world into controversy. But before she can warn the President, Rachel and Michael are ambushed by a deadly team of assassins.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,811,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible