Dangerous Visions: 33 Original Stories by…

Dangerous Visions: 33 Original Stories (original 1967; edition 1967)

by Harlan Ellison

Title:Dangerous Visions: 33 Original Stories
Authors:Harlan Ellison
Info:Doubleday (1967), Edition: Book Club Edition, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Anthologies (inactive)

Dangerous Visions: 33 Original Stories by Harlan Ellison (Editor) (1967)

StarShipSofa Stories: Volume 1 by Tony C. Smith (Robyn_Bradshaw)
    Engineering Infinity by Jonathan Strahan (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both contain original stories showing the best work at the time...

English (23)  Italian (1)  All languages (24)
I reserve five stars for novels, or for history books for those are my prejudices. Since this is "the most honoured SF anthology of all time" and there are twenty-three other reviews, I am greatly surprised at the small number of reviews, and at the small number of LT members who have the book in their libraries. Perhaps this covers only ownership, not readership figures.
Taking 33 stories original stories from some established writers in the field, and some from relative tyros, Ellison put together what he felt was an anthology of works that the contemporary magazine editors would not print for violating the conventions of the SF genre at the time. It was a book that redefined, or blew apart, the conventions of the genre.
To my mind, it has worn well over the last forty-nine years, and though several of the pieces have been elevated into the RNA of the genre, this book should still be read, or reread whenever encountered. It is one of the books chained to a shelf in the Library of the Unseen University of Terry Pratchett's world. The surrounding books give it a respectful distance. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 3, 2016 |
Really unsettling, like I can't finish it. A series of Sci Fi stories which are actually horrifying. They ask 'important philosophical questions' and do actually show why the genre is not to be forgotten, but my god. Could you be more of a mind-fuck?
  knotbox | Jun 10, 2016 |
Fun anthology with commentary by Ellison and by each of the writers. Some of the stories might seem a bit dated now, but nevertheless provide entertainment. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I think I read this in college after Mark Hudobenko recommended it. I may have it confused with another collection of Harlan Ellison's writings. Too long ago to quite remember. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This is supposed to be the defining speculative fiction anthology of the 'New Wave' era 60s/70s. 35 stories, never before published. Each author was told to write a story that is a dangerous vision or concept; through a mirror darkly, etc. There are some really excellent stories here, and a few decent ones. There are also some that are terribly trite and not at all dangerous or visionary. Then again, it's hard to read these within the context of the world in which they were written, 1967. A few of these stories may have been dangerous visions in the late 60s. Now? Mostly not so much. I still really enjoyed it, and rated/reviewed each story individually. The average rating for the whole collection was 2.7, rounded up.

Harlan Ellison writes an introduction to each story, and the author writes an afterword for their story. The introductions quickly became my least favorite part of the book, as Ellison gushes and extols endlessly about each author.

Individual reviews:
Evensong, Lester del Rey: 4/5
A desperate God on the run from Man's vengeance. The idea of man slowly becoming more and more powerful, until God must fear Man. Very Nice prose.

Flies, Robert Silverberg: 1/5
Robert Silverberg completely botches the definition of empathy in the most pseudo-intellectual manner imaginable. I get what he was trying to say, but he failed miserably.

The Day After the Day After the Martians Came, Fredrick Pohl: 3/5
Probably really great in '67, but it relied very heavily on cultural jokes that everyone at the time would've been familiar with; I've never heard any of them. Still a cool little story.

Riders of the Purple Wage, Philip Jose Farmer: 1/5
Nearly incoherent misogynistic rambling about a future where everyone is mentally deficient. He almost had an idea, but gets distracted by how women are fat liars and just want to have abortions all of the time. Of course, this is Ellison's favorite story in the collection.

The Malley System, Miriam Allen deFord: 2/5
A future in which violent crimes are punished in unique ways. It didn't really resonate with me.

A Toy for Juliette, Robert Bloch: 5/5
Terrific. Sadistic and disturbing, but written very well and with a nice cyclical tone.

The Prowler in th City at the Edge of the World, Harlan Ellison: 2/5
A sequel to the previous story. Started out strong, but devolved rather rapidly. I find myself disliking Ellison more and more as I go on. I imagine he prides himself on this effect he seems to have.

The Night That All Time Broke Out, Brian W. Aldiss: 3/5
Cool premise, uneven execution.

The Man who Went to the Moon Twice, Howard Rodman: 4/5
Not speculative fiction at all, but I really liked it.

Faith of our Fathers, Philip K. Dick: 3/5
This one had a lot going for it; a little let down by the ending.

The Jigsaw Man, Larry Niven: 3/5
Tackles the problem of organ shortages in a world were immortality is in reach…for some.

Gonna Roll The Bones, Fritz Leiber: 4/5
I nearly didn't read this one after suffering through its terribly heavy handed first sentence. I'm glad I did. Like most old science fiction, it was too misogynistic for my liking, but the storytelling and prose eventually won me over.

Lord Randy, My Son, Joe L. Hensley: 5/5
My favorite so far. Great characters, and a captivating, sad story.

Eutopia, Poul Anderson: 4/5
Inter dimensional anthropology. I liked this one, although the language was a bit to 'fantasy' for my personal tastes.

Incident in Moderan, David R. Bunch: 5/5
Happy warmonger robots. Awesome.

The Escaping, David R. Bunch: 0/5
Terrible. Total gibberish.

The Doll-House, James Cross: 3/5
Like a twilight zone episode. One of those cautionary tales.

Sex and/or Mr Morrison, Carol Emshwiller: 3/5
I like her writing style. I didn't quite get the story but the prose was beautiful.

Shall The Dust Praise Thee?, Damon Knight: 3/5
God's vengeance may have been a little bit more than he bargained for. It seems that man could only take so much torment. This could've been executed a lot better, but I liked the concept.

If All Men Were Brothers, Would You Let One Marry Your Sister?, Theodore Sturgeon: 5/5
So far, the only story that I would actually consider a 'Dangerous Vision'. It's disturbing, and pokes at deeply held moral and cultural constructs. It also really weirded me out. Disturbing.

What Happens To Auguste Clarot?, Larry Eisenberg: 1/5

Ersatz, Henry Slesar: 2/5

Go, Go, Go, Said The Bird, Sonya Dorman: 2/5
Post apocalyptic cannibals.

The Happy Breed, John T. Sladek: 4/5
People slowly turning their happiness over to machines. A really solid little cautionary tale, born of a fear of technology. It's even more interesting thinking about how much more we depend on technology these days.

Encounter With a Hick, Jonathan Brand: 3/5
A fun little biblical/evolution bar conversation recounted to an authority.

From the Government Printing Office, Kris Neville: 1/5
Told from the POV of a 3.5 year old in the future. Boring.

Land of the Great Horses, R. A. Lafferty: 4/5
Cool little story about the origin of Gypsies.

The Recognition, J.G. Ballard: 3/5
Terrific writing, not speculative fiction at all. Not particularly dangerous either—maybe in the 60s—in 2015 it’s a bit trite.

Judas, John Brunner: 5/5
Okay, I have to read more John Brunner. This story was incredible and exactly the type of thing I was looking for in this book. Solid solid solid.

Test to Destruction, Keith Laumer: 4/5
Political usurping, tyrany, sentient hive mind aliens, testing people's limits and morality.

Carcinoma Angels, Norman Spinrad: 3/5
An overachiever sets his sights on cancer; takes it one step too far. This one is kind of quirky/fun.

AUTO-DA-FÉ, Roger Zelazny: 3/5
Man vs machine, told in a matador vs bull analogy. I liked it. It felt like a fairytale or half remembered dream of a mechanic.

Aye, and Gomorrah…, Samuel R. Delany: 1/5
A story about attraction between earth bound people, and neutered space dwelling people. Interesting concept, bad execution. It didn’t flow well, and was hard to follow. ( )
  heradas | May 31, 2015 |

Flies by Robert Silverberg

Foreword 1: The Second Revolution - Isaac Asimov
Foreword 2: Harlan and I - Isaac Asimov
Thirty-Two Soothsayers (introduction) - Harlan Ellison
Evensong - Lester del Rey.
Flies - Robert Silverberg.
The Day After the Day the Martians Came - Frederik Pohl
Gonna Roll the Bones - Fritz Leiber
Lord Randy, My Son - Joe L. Hensley
Eutopia - Poul Anderson
Incident in Moderan and The Escaping - David R. Bunch
The Doll-House - James Cross (pseudonym)
Sex and/or Mr. Morrison - Carol Emshwiller
Shall the Dust Praise Thee? - Damon Knight
If All Men Were Brothers, Would You Let One Marry Your Sister? - Theodore Sturgeon
What Happened to Auguste Clarot? - Larry Eisenberg
Test to Destruction - Keith Laumer
Carcinoma Angels - Norman Spinrad
Auto-da-Fé - Roger Zelazny
Aye, and Gomorrah - Samuel R. Delany

The best and most honoured science fiction anthology of all time, newly restored and introduced by its revolutionary editor, Harlan Ellison. This massive anthology contains 34 short stories, including Nebula-Award winning stories by Samuel R. Delany and Fritz Leiber and Hugo-Award winning stories by Fritz Leiber and Philip Jose Farmer. Includes stories by some of the best science-fiction writers who ever lived, writing at the height of their storytelling powers. All stories were chosen originally by Ellison.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:30 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,833,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible